Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:11 AM
    Liked 11,754 Times in 6,511 Posts

Premium Member

Default Apple executive Jimmy Iovine is afraid for the future of music. 

Apple executive Jimmy Iovine is afraid for the future of music. 

Iovine, who joined Apple through its $2 billion acquisition of his company Beats Music last year, railed against music services like Spotify that use a "freemium" model on stage at the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit. 

Spotify's model lets people use the service for free, as long as they listen to ads, while charging a monthly fee to those who want to ditch the advertisements and get access to premium features, like offline listening.

Apple's new music streaming service, Apple Music, has no free tier. 

"Free is a real issue," he said. "This whole thing about 'freemium' —  maybe at one time you needed it, but right now it's a shell game."

Freemium music services, he said, are building their audience size, and thus their success, "on the back of the artists."

The biggest negative effect he's seen is the amount of time artists now spend on touring, versus making new albums. Artists get convinced to put their albums on streaming services, because they're told no one will pay for the music otherwise. Then they don't feel like they can make enough money on streaming services, so they put more reliance on making money when they go on tour.

As a result, they have less time off the road to work on their next album. But the best albums take more time to produce. 

It's a dangerous cycle, Iovine said.

"The records are taking a back-seat to all the touring," he said. "They should at least be equal, but they're not right now. And that makes me really T'd off." 

This isn't a new conversation for Iovine, or Apple. Taylor Swift made huge waves last year when she pulled all her music from Spotify because she didn't feel like the freemium model respected her work as art. 

"If Apple had a free tier, we'd have 500 million people, but we don't want to do that," Iovine said. "We believe that we built something powerful enough and strong enough to work." 

Iovine has deep roots in the music industry. He founded Interscope Records in 1989, and worked with huge names like Eminem, Lady Gaga, and, of course, Beats cofounder Dr. Dre.

On stage, he also called out Instagram for sometimes ruining the mystique of big artists, proclaiming that he didn't want to know when Jim Morrison went shopping.

"Music used to be No. 1 or No. 2 in most people's hearts," he said. "But if you said to a teen today, 'Okay, you can only have two apps on your phone,' neither one of them would be music. And that makes me scared. I have no research for that, but I can feel that from living everyday."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...182113759.html
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

He's afraid for the future of music...what about the 'right now' of music? It's been in trouble for several years now.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Apple executive Jimmy Iovine is afraid for the future of music. 

"Music used to be No. 1 or No. 2 in most people's hearts," he said. "But if you said to a teen today, 'Okay, you can only have two apps on your phone,' neither one of them would be music. And that makes me scared. I have no research for that, but I can feel that from living everyday."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...182113759.html
    I don't know what to think of that - none of us had cell phones, let alone cell phone apps, and music did just fine. I don't know much about Spotify - how much different is it for some kid listening to Spotify today as opposed to us listening to the radio back then. Big difference I guess is they have some choice of who they listen to, whereas we were beholden to the whims of the programmers? I do feel music has lost its importance with a lot of people - everything's gotta be visual now - never hear of anyone "binge listening".

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

In a way, could it not be a slightly positive thing? Let me explain:
    He said that artists aren't spending as much time on records, instead, they're opting to tour more/longer. I get it and completely understand it. The "good" part I mentioned would be that, in theory, bands we love would churn out product quicker. No more 3 year schedule for you- VH! LOL.

Seriously though, pro bands would get in and get out, regarding studio work. No more labouring over ever little nuance and over producing the albums. Lay down the parts more like the early days - rawer - and get out on the road...

Agreed that because of technology, the traditional music industry has been down the tubes (so to speak) for several years now.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

People don't pay for albums like they did in the past. You can go online and download albums (before the release date even) for free. Of course bands don't bother making new albums, for what? So people could just steal them?

I still buy physical cd's, I don't stream, don't buy crappy MP3's unless it's a single that won't be released physically, never have and never will buy ANYTHING from iTunes. But I know that cd's are probably going away soon and that will be a sad day.

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    People don't pay for albums like they did in the past. You can go online and download albums (before the release date even) for free. Of course bands don't bother making new albums, for what? So people could just steal them?

I still buy physical cd's, I don't stream, don't buy crappy MP3's unless it's a single that won't be released physically, never have and never will buy ANYTHING from iTunes. But I know that cd's are probably going away soon and that will be a sad day.
    I buy from iTunes - there are too many artists I might only like a few songs - I'd rather they get a little something rather than nothing because I'm not gonna buy a full CD. But for those artists that I want the full album, I buy the CD (sometimes more than once!)

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

I'm the same way!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:55 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

What future?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I don't know what to think of that - none of us had cell phones, let alone cell phone apps, and music did just fine. I don't know much about Spotify - how much different is it for some kid listening to Spotify today as opposed to us listening to the radio back then. Big difference I guess is they have some choice of who they listen to, whereas we were beholden to the whims of the programmers? I do feel music has lost its importance with a lot of people - everything's gotta be visual now - never hear of anyone "binge listening".
    That's exactly my thought. The difference is a lack of studio control on who gets pushed and when, and everyone is their own DJ. Of course, being able to play music when YOU want it negates the need to purchase it in a physical or digital form. After all, all we were buying through the years was the right to play a song or songs when WE wanted to, rather than go through the trouble of calling a radio station to request it.

There was music before we were able to record it and there will be music after it. However, with the internet bands will be able to capitalize on their own success rather than relying on traditional studios. You can spread the word about your band for free without ever leaving the house. You don't have to go to the printing shop and get flyers made up. You don't have to fan out and paper the local high schools and coffee shops. You can design, manufacture, and sell your own merchandise without ever needing to store inventory or purchase it up front--all through the power of the internet.

Basically, the entire business model has been turned on its head, but the desire for music is just as great as it ever was and the consumption of music is probably greater than it has ever been in its history. It's up to artists to find ways to capitalize on it. The easiest way will always be the live show--you can't reproduce that on the internet...yet. Will music produce as many multi-millionaires as it did 50 years ago? Probably not, but there will be many more musicians living a comfortable existence doing what they enjoy.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

I pretty much agree with him. It really sucks as a music fan because I like well thought out and executed albums.

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Or figure out a new way to produce music that can't be copied. .??
    Eat Us and Smile!

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

It's time to put hard rock & heavy metal front and center like back in the mid 80's.

17. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:53 AM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

This may sound crazy but maybe the record companies should kind of look at music like how vinyl made a comeback. Put it out there for people to have. Not on their schedule but on yours. Make something in demand and people will want it. Sign artists but tell them you are going to try to improve their album sales by going more traditional. Make a limited copy run of their CD's. Actually use Wal Mart, Target or Best Buy to distribute. Have the record companies actually create a faux MTV. Put video hosts on like the old days, spin exclusive videos or specials. Release new content this way. Keep it from being leaked. Market it to the MTV generation that actually watched videos..They will be more into it and may be able to pull in younger audience. Maybe you mix in archival video footage from back in the day.

Problem today is that people are able to access anything at anytime. You need them to want to watch it on your time. People still tune in to TV shows when they premiere because they don't want to be spoiled by reading or seeing a leak on FB. Try to do that with music. Make it an event.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:13 AM
    Liked 7,853 Times in 4,586 Posts

Premium Member

I gave up on keeping up and buying music.

I guess I got old and burned out on it. Was my obsession for years as a kid and young man.

The only time I listen to music is exercising and cycling to and fro.

I'm stuck in the past. For example, I love Maiden but will I buy the new album? Nope. When I do purchase, it's usually only a song or two from iTunes and always classics from the 70's.

I don't know what the answer is but I know who the problem is. Record companies. It's their fault. It's easy to blame Spotify and their ilk but companies don't sign long-term anymore. They don't nurture nor do they spend the money to look for and promote unknowns.

They have the money to do it...

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

But I know that cd's are probably going away soon and that will be a sad day.
    True. I just bought a new truck and It doesn't even have a CD player. Few of the new vehicles today have one I guess. They are gradually being phased out. It is sad.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA