Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 158 Times in 78 Posts

Default It's been a good tour for Dave

I think Dave has done well on this tour.
    He performed well and does not look exhausted nearing the end of it.
    Perhaps there was some anger at the start with Ed's comments but that seemed to go away quickly.

His voice held up fairly well and he did what he had to do to survive it.

He saved his energy and let Ed and Wolf work the chorus a lot more like I said a million years ago he should do. Dance The Night Away and Panama are really the tracks that give him trouble and I would suggest maybe going a whole step down in tuning for at least Dance the Night Away and see if it helps over the course of a tour. And why not a little reverb on the vocals here and there?

No matter what he does, we have idiot reviewers saying his "kicks aren't high enough", he "didn't jump off the drum riser" and so on. Even if he sang every song like the record they would still crap on him.
    In fact one reviewer pointed to the original Running with the Devil solo vocal track as an example apparently of his "bad " singing. Far from it.Try it some time and see if you can do it as well asshole.
    Those screams are epic on there.

And for Ed:
    Remember that Dave helped make you the millionaire you are today. Without him and his love of dance music, there would be no Running with the Devil and all the rest.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Dave did good, overall. The whole band did.
    Ed's comments were probably taken the wrong way by a few people. It happens... He's a musician, not a public speaker. But yeah, since the opening night of the tour, it's what's been happening on stage that matters most. From that angle, VH have played really solid all tour IMO.

The preview tracks from Tokyo Live and the early tv appearances by Dave scared a few people, myself included, but those were quenched by the activity I've seen from the guys this whole summer. A victory tour in my book!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

I thought Dave sang really well on some songs this tour. Women In Love has been his best live vocals on a song over the past 2 tours IMO. My favorite song of the tour has been Dirty Movies. Live, I think Dave made great strides and improvement over a number of songs from Tokyo Dome (i.e. China Town, She's The Woman and Panama). No crazy verses of "burning down the avenueeeeeeee" from Tokyo Dome.

Also, Dave looks much better than he did back in January when he appeared with Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 627 Times in 310 Posts

Dave was superb (and Ed, Al, and Wolf were too!) when I saw them in St. Louis. The only songs he really struggled with that night were DTNA and In a Simple Rhyme, but both were still very good.
    I went back and watched the Kimmel performances the other night and couldn't believe how much he'd improved (IMO). This has been a good year to be a Van Halen fan (with the billboard interview being the exception).
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Dave was what I expected this tour and I'm glad he's the VH frontman.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Dave's voice was better than 2012 but not as good as 2007-2008. There were some nights he really struggled and others he nailed, but most fell somewhere between. He seemed to shy away from the high voice the last quarter of the tour, which I believe is a good thing. His range is more diminished without the use of the high voice, but he's now hitting some high notes with his chest voice like the old days. He has slayed "Little Guitars" on quite a few of the recent shows and performed "Jump" better than I ever remember him ever doing. He's a funny guy. I still cannot understand how he could go all of the 2012 tour botching "China Town" and all of this tour obliterating "Dance the Night Away" without one good performance of them, yet he can sing a very challenging song like "Little Guitars" well. I can't quite figure him out. "Panama" has sounded great recently too. I was hoping for a good performance of "I'll Wait," but he seemed to struggle a lot with that one this tour. He started off the tour trying to shout it and reverted to a lighter approach that fit the song better later in the tour. I would have liked to hear him attempt the chorus, though. "In a Simple Rhyme" never quite worked either. At his age, Dave needs a little more space to breathe. Overall, I think Dave was conscious of his limitations and made a concerted effort to reserve his voice and use more head voice earlier in the tour. Now that the tour is coming to a close, I think he's decided to go all out and sing with more chest and power. I look forward to hearing the final show of the tour. I'm thinking he'll give it his all.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 218 Posts

I think Dave kicked major ass.
    No complaints here on any song at my 2 shows. He brought more "Dave" than last tour (which also kicked ass x3) and I loved his acoustic story time. I thought it was a great personal touch.

And judging from the majority of social media reactions by real folks (not the pencil neck critics copying and pasting their reviews) most agree each performance was awesome. People seem to recognize that this tour was special.

Let's not forget, the many posts stating "amazing, best show ever, legends" were as much about Dave as Ed, Al and Wolf.

Hopefully he will grab a rest and start working on lyrics for the next album.
    "I ain't complainin', you do the best with what you got."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 648 Times in 358 Posts

From the various YouTubes, Periscopes and bootlegs I've heard from the shows, Dave did a great job. Much better than I expected. I wonder if he thought "I'm really going to have to pull this off, or that'll be it for future VH" Especially for the last month or so of the tour where he seems to have improved a lot. Dave loves being in the spotlight, and at this stage of his life, without VH, there is no spotlight for Dave.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by cfimages View Post
    From the various YouTubes, Periscopes and bootlegs I've heard from the shows, Dave did a great job. Much better than I expected. I wonder if he thought "I'm really going to have to pull this off, or that'll be it for future VH" Especially for the last month or so of the tour where he seems to have improved a lot. Dave loves being in the spotlight, and at this stage of his life, without VH, there is no spotlight for Dave.
    I think that might be a very big part of it. We've seen evidence that certain members of VH really do monitor these types of boards, and after Dave got crucified for some Tokyo vocals and this year's tv stuff, I think he made a conscious effort to reel himself in. It's not a slur on him at all. In fact, I take my hat off to him for trying to improve.

But he's not stupid either. He knows there's 1/100th of the people who want to hear his acoustic record with John 5, as there are people who want him in VH. His current gig is where the $$, acclaim, and spotlight are.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Dave ruled this tour, the whole band rocked it and I'm proud to be a fan of Van Halen!

15. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:28 PM
    Liked 8,749 Times in 4,730 Posts

Premium Member

I went to the first two shows and thought Dave did really well, and only struggled on parts of a couple tunes. But what really gave me great joy this summer was seeing Dave get stronger as the tour went on. He toned down the screaming high voice, used his great natural baritone more, and picked his spots to let out some classic screams. He has sounded extremely strong the last 2 or 3 shows and it's great to see the band finishing this tour on a high.

He has been very funny this tour, and his evolving ICM storytelling intros, complete with harmonica, have been great. People either get Dave or they don't, and that's fine. For me, he's still the greatest frontman ever, the true singer of Van Halen, and this has been a truly special tour for the band and their fans.

17. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,333 Times in 3,181 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

From what I've saw it seems that Dave knows his limits and has been sticking in those constraints. It's an enevitable that our heroes loose their touch at some point. These guys are in their 60's and still killing it. That says a lot about determination. I too hope this isn't the last hoorah. When I'm in better spirits I hope to see them.

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

01.21.16 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 623 Times in 347 Posts

I think Dave did a great job on this tour.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:49 AM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

Judging from what I saw on video from Friday, I think they are doing a live blu-ray. Dave sang great, didn't try the high notes...He also looked like he had some botox. Looks 10 years younger than the Tampa show.

I'm hoping that they mix it up at the end tonight, maybe play another song after Jump for a 2nd encore, and at the end, Dave does the split off the drum riser (with maybe a mat under) to close out the show. We all know he can still do it...
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 16,542 Times in 9,376 Posts

Not too shabby for a guy who will turn 61 on Saturday ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

23. The Following 4 Members Like This Post: