Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Agreed! I was SO CLOSE to buying a used 5150III combo (1x12 in ivory) off a local seller, but I didn't go through with it.
    Couple of reasons, but the main one is that I don't currently gig anymore, and my current living quarters won't allow me to go "full throttle" with that, or any loud tube amp.

Speaking of which... I mentioned Al Estrada in this thread. The most recent video of him I've seen, is highlighted on the EVH gear site. He demos the "Circles" guitar, and is using a Marshall head w/Variac type of setup. He still sounds like a monster, and nails a lot of early EVH licks & tones. It really is in the hands and fingers..., provided you have the "proper" gear as a springboard.

The new Marshall-y amp that Ed's involved with seems like a no-brainer. I foresee a lot of interest for it , as well as a ton of chats on these boards about it. Just gave me an idea for a new thread!

2. Majestic thanked for this post.
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points

It's all subjective. The environment in which you play can have a big impact on tone. I use a 5150ii with a crate gx412 cabinet and it sounds amazing. Speakers have an impact but they only go so far.

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    It's all subjective. The environment in which you play can have a big impact on tone. I use a 5150ii with a crate gx412 cabinet and it sounds amazing. Speakers have an impact but they only go so far.
    Very true, fuddman.

I was just remembering an interview w/Steve Vai, where he mentioned playing a part with a clean tone vs his normal distorted one. He said something to the effect of "if you have a pristine clean tone, then you're not going to be playing crazy leads and pinch harmonics, etc. But you can write something pleasing to the ears with that sound..." I hope I explained that right?

Eddie's sound on VHI and F.U.C.K. are both very different, yet there's no doubt that it's Ed playing the guitar. It's in the hands, although having appropriate gear sure helps!

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

07.02.20 @ 08:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Tone is in the dick--it is that head which leads me around !!!
    Lmfao
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.19.19 @ 02:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
    Tell me about the differences, pros and cons of these 2 amps. I've had my 5150 for about 2 months now, and I'm just not getting along with it. I don't play anything super heavy, mostly 80s/90s style hard rock, and I can't seem to find that sweet spot for it with my 5150. First, I thought tubes, then I thought speakers. I don't know what to do now. Plus, I'm not that crazy about the clean channel and the volume drop. I'm not saying I don't want the 5150. It does what it does great! I'm just looking for some help/suggestions from those who have experienced both amps.
    Have you tried a TS type pedal set as a clean boost thru the blue channel? That gets me the hod rodded Marshall tone that my Splawn Quick Rod got. I liked the Quick Rod but to me it was a one trick pony but it was a good trick . I`ve got two 5150 50 heads at the moment and they both replaced Splawns (Quick Rod and Super Sport) I`d say if your dead set on the hot rodded Marshall go with the Splawn , to me the 5150 seems a little more versatile. As AFU mentioned in post #8 try to play your 5150 thru a 4x12 in a decent size room , I`m doing that with a 4x12 w/Celstion V30s & G12H30s in an X pattern and it sounds like thunder , just kills. My other 5150 head is thru a 2x12 w/Scumback M75/H75 mix , sounds great but the room is a little small so I can`t open the amp up as much as I`d like. That Splawn clip that you posted dosen`t sound open to my ears , sounds pretty compressed but it does sound good. I`d try a pedal first like say the TC Electronic Spark Boost , MXR Modified OD or Maxon OD808 set as clean boost thru the blue channel and see what happens

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

06.14.20 @ 06:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I'm going to see if Guitar Center will let me return the 5153 today. I just bought it on August 31st and it's only left my house once. Plus, I also purchased the 2 year service plan on it. I've been talking with Scott Splawn, and he was telling me that the older Quickrods aren't good at lower volumes and have a pretty bad clean channel. He has a few amps I'm definitely interested in. If Guitar Center won't let me return it, I'll probably put it up for sale here.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

I'm going to see if Guitar Center will let me return the 5153 today. I just bought it on August 31st and it's only left my house once. Plus, I also purchased the 2 year service plan on it. I've been talking with Scott Splawn, and he was telling me that the older Quickrods aren't good at lower volumes and have a pretty bad clean channel. He has a few amps I'm definitely interested in. If Guitar Center won't let me return it, I'll probably put it up for sale here.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Just saw your 5150III head list in the eBay thread...
    Which newer Splawn amp are you leaning towards, and what is it about the EVH amp that you're not digging? Did Scott mention that the clean channel has been improved, and are there power attenuation options on the Splawn amps?

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

06.14.20 @ 06:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Just saw your 5150III head list in the eBay thread...
    Which newer Splawn amp are you leaning towards, and what is it about the EVH amp that you're not digging? Did Scott mention that the clean channel has been improved, and are there power attenuation options on the Splawn amps?
    I think I'm leaning toward the Streetrod, since it's the same as the Quickrod, but only 40 watts. I really don't ever need 100 watts! The 5153 is a great amp for the right person. It's just not my thing. It's too tight and compressed for me.

10. RRvh1 thanked for this post.
    Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

I think I'm leaning toward the Streetrod, since it's the same as the Quickrod, but only 40 watts. I really don't ever need 100 watts! The 5153 is a great amp for the right person. It's just not my thing. It's too tight and compressed for me.
    Cool!
    Thanks for the reply. I totally hear you on the 100 watt thing - quite a bit of overkill, for my current needs. I haven't seen the Streetrod before... Have to look it up out of curiosity