Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 157 Times in 82 Posts

Default Splawn Quickrod vs EVH 5150iii 50 watt

Tell me about the differences, pros and cons of these 2 amps. I've had my 5150 for about 2 months now, and I'm just not getting along with it. I don't play anything super heavy, mostly 80s/90s style hard rock, and I can't seem to find that sweet spot for it with my 5150. First, I thought tubes, then I thought speakers. I don't know what to do now. Plus, I'm not that crazy about the clean channel and the volume drop. I'm not saying I don't want the 5150. It does what it does great! I'm just looking for some help/suggestions from those who have experienced both amps.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 6,988 Times in 5,021 Posts

Premium Member

I've seen a ton of clips where Al Estrada (Eruption - VH tribute band) was using a Splawn amp, and he nailed the early EVH/hot rodded Marshall amp tones.
    I've never played one myself, but was VERY impressed with what I heard.

Youtube the clip "Hey Eddie, Check This Out! pt 2."
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
    Tell me about the differences, pros and cons of these 2 amps. I've had my 5150 for about 2 months now, and I'm just not getting along with it. I don't play anything super heavy, mostly 80s/90s style hard rock, and I can't seem to find that sweet spot for it with my 5150. First, I thought tubes, then I thought speakers. I don't know what to do now. Plus, I'm not that crazy about the clean channel and the volume drop. I'm not saying I don't want the 5150. It does what it does great! I'm just looking for some help/suggestions from those who have experienced both amps.
    I had the same problem as your having.
    I solved it with the 5150 Stealth head !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I had the same problem as your having.
    I solved it with the 5150 Stealth head !!!
    Sorry, not the answer I was looking for. Haha!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hey, Ledvedder..Check your PM's..I need a little help with the yamaha thr 10x. Thanks.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 717 View Post
    Hey, Ledvedder..Check your PM's..I need a little help with the yamaha thr 10x. Thanks.
    Replied

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Damn, this thing sounds good. I can't get my 5150 to sound this open.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
    Damn, this thing sounds good. I can't get my 5150 to sound this open.

First play your 5150 III through a EVH 4x12 cab. Then take that combo to a large room with natural reverb and then you can make a good comparison to this video. This video sounds good. Any of the three 5150 series amps with the right 4x12(matching) will also sound very good in that room. As long as you don't get crazy with the gain. Everyone cranks the gain on a 5150 and goes I don't like it. Too this or too that. I say it all the time I'll put the 5150 III blue channel against any amp. Any.

Seriously. Play your head through a 5150 III 4x12. Based on your past posts I'd say try a DSL 100 if the 5150 III isn't doing it for you. But you had a DSL and weren't happy. I don't know what 2x12 cab your using, but I think the two different speakers in that particular cab is the problem. Try a 4x12 with 25 watt Celestion greenbacks in it. Then you'll know if it's the amp for you or not. Speakers really make a big difference. I played two Ampeg combos side by side in the '80s. First one sucked. I hated it. Second one had a little Celestion badge in the corner. I expected to hate that one too. It was killer! Same amp and same construction. I believe it was the Ampeg SS-70.

I think we both need the same amp. Bogner Helios. I'll settle for the new el34 5150 head that's coming.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I accidentally mis-titled the video clip I mentioned above^^^.
    The awesome playing & sounding Splawn amp video is called "Hey Eddie, Listen to This! pt 2"

Al Estrada really nails it. Wicked player!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    First play your 5150 III through a EVH 4x12 cab. Then take that combo to a large room with natural reverb and then you can make a good comparison to this video. This video sounds good. Any of the three 5150 series amps with the right 4x12(matching) will also sound very good in that room. As long as you don't get crazy with the gain. Everyone cranks the gain on a 5150 and goes I don't like it. Too this or too that. I say it all the time I'll put the 5150 III blue channel against any amp. Any.

Seriously. Play your head through a 5150 III 4x12. Based on your past posts I'd say try a DSL 100 if the 5150 III isn't doing it for you. But you had a DSL and weren't happy. I don't know what 2x12 cab your using, but I think the two different speakers in that particular cab is the problem. Try a 4x12 with 25 watt Celestion greenbacks in it. Then you'll know if it's the amp for you or not. Speakers really make a big difference. I played two Ampeg combos side by side in the '80s. First one sucked. I hated it. Second one had a little Celestion badge in the corner. I expected to hate that one too. It was killer! Same amp and same construction. I believe it was the Ampeg SS-70.

I think we both need the same amp. Bogner Helios. I'll settle for the new el34 5150 head that's coming.
    Very detailed post! I'm not a "tone chaser" like many of you cats are, so a lot of this stuff is also new to me. Thanks for the info.

I used to run my original 5150 heads through a standard pair of Marshall 4x12's. Never had any inclination to swap speakers etc., as I loved the sound, as did our fans and followers. I did also use a couple of 5150 combos at one point, and loved the sound of the stock speakers too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

When I do play the 5150 50w its thru a cab with Scumbacks in it. While I really dig the celestions, the Scumbacks are just awesome for the EVH amps IMO.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

When I do play the 5150 50w its thru a cab with Scumbacks in it. While I really dig the celestions, the Scumbacks are just awesome for the EVH amps IMO.
    Which scumback model?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I have (2) 4x12 cabs with M75-65w 16ohm speakers in them and (1) 4x12 cab with BM75-65w 16 ohm speakers in it. I really prefer the standard M75 over the BM75. It seems the BM75 speakers have a lot of feedback going on. Before I got the Stealth head, I had the 50w head pushing (2) 4x12 cabs and it sounded awesome. The 50w head sounds great w both the M75 and the BM75speakers. I also have a EVH 1x12 cab which I put a celestion G12H 100w made in UK speaker in and it is really heavy. Idk if I got ripped off or what but the 1x12 came with a celestion 70th anniversary speaker in it. This pissed me because I had just pulled 4 of em out of a cab and put the Scummys in.
    If I remember correctly, someone on Vhlinks did a volume mod on their 50w head and really liked it. They sent me the info but I never got around to doing it.
    You may wanna go thru these guitar rm threads and check it out.

.....uh, I'm not a corksniffer but I really like the Scummys better than the Celestions. They just seem warmer and not so sterile as the Celestions.
    The Scumbacks are hand made in California by Jim Seville and he seems really cool. He is a real person to deal with not some bs. He will talk to you about speaker choices if need be.

I'm not saying the Scummy BM75 is a bad choice. They sound really really awesome. But for whatever reason, I get a lot of feedback when using them vs the amount I'm getting with the M75. In all fairness, when I switch cabs I just leave amp settings and floor settings the same and should probably be tweaking everything for the change. So, what I'm saying about the BM75 may be because of my laziness.

Basically, I pulled all the so called Celestion EVH speakers which are just greenbacks w a different sticker and replaced them with the Scummys and couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by evhintexas; 10.03.15 at 07:46 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I have (2) 4x12 cabs with M75-65w 16ohm speakers in them and (1) 4x12 cab with BM75-65w 16 ohm speakers in it. I really prefer the standard M75 over the BM75. It seems the BM75 speakers have a lot of feedback going on. Before I got the Stealth head, I had the 50w head pushing (2) 4x12 cabs and it sounded awesome. The 50w head sounds great w both the M75 and the BM75speakers. I also have a EVH 1x12 cab which I put a celestion G12H 100w made in UK speaker in and it is really heavy. Idk if I got ripped off or what but the 1x12 came with a celestion 70th anniversary speaker in it. This pissed me because I had just pulled 4 of em out of a cab and put the Scummys in.
    If I remember correctly, someone on Vhlinks did a volume mod on their 50w head and really liked it. They sent me the info but I never got around to doing it.
    You may wanna go thru these guitar rm threads and check it out.

.....uh, I'm not a corksniffer but I really like the Scummys better than the Celestions. They just seem warmer and not so sterile as the Celestions.
    I think you're talking about the user Stealth5150. He a cool guy and a great player, who did send his 5150III out for that mod. He seemed really happy with the results, and posted a video to demo the modded amp. He's got some sweet guitars as well!

Not sure the exact thread (off the top of my head), but go to his profile page and check out his latest posts & threads started.
    P.S. thanks for the 'add'. I always see you in the guitar room threads, so it's all good!

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Yes sir, thank you

Ive never even seen a Splawn amp in person. I have never heard anything bad about them online though. I've decided to skip the EVH combos and the lunchbox and wait for the 5150el34 amp Eddie spoke of a while back.