Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

Default Former Baseball Star Speaks Out Against Proposed Ordinance

Sep. 26, 2015

Former Major League Baseball star and World Series hero Lance Berkman has gotten behind a campaign to defeat Proposition 1 — Houston’s Equal Rights Ordinance — over a concern that it would allow men access to women’s bathrooms and boys access to girls’ showers and locker rooms.

The ordinance, which will be a ballot measure in the city’s general election Nov. 3, protects access to public accommodations regardless of sexual orientation, gender, race, national origin, religion — as well as gender identity.

The HERO measure defines “gender identity” as “an individual’s innate identification, appearance, expression or behavior as either male or female, although the same may not correspond to the individual’s body or gender as assigned at birth.”

Berkman — who played for the Houston Astros, St. Louis Cardinals and other teams — spoke on an audio ad for Campaign for Houston released on Thursday, KPRC-TV reported.

Here’s the text of Berkman’s audio segment:

"Vote no on Proposition 1. No men in women’s bathrooms. No boys in girls’ showers or locker rooms. I’m Lance Berkman. I played professional baseball for 15 years, but my family is more important. My wife and I have four daughters. Proposition 1 — the bathroom ordinance — would allow troubled men to enter women’s public bathrooms, showers and locker rooms. This would violate their privacy and put them in harm’s way. That’s just wrong. We must prevent this potential danger by closing women’s restrooms to men rather than waiting for a crime to happen. Under Proposition 1, if restaurants, businesses and sports facilities don’t allow a man into a women’s restroom, they would be subject to penalties and fines. This proposed ordinance says that it will stop discrimination. But in reality it discriminates against people who believe, like me, that members of the opposite sex should not be forced to share restrooms or locker rooms. Join me to stop the violation of women’s privacy and discrimination against women. Vote no on Proposition 1. No men in women’s bathrooms. No boys in girls’ showers or locker rooms.”

Once word got out about Berkman’s stance, reaction against him was swift and continued into Saturday:

Keith Olbermann ✔@KeithOlbermann
    Shame on you, Lance. How to undo a spotless reputation with a burst of bigotry and stupidity RT @outsports F… http://tl.gd/nl0isr
    4:22 PM - 25 Sep 2015

You know what Lance Berkman … you can go straight to hell http://t.co/kr8cUHyEjX

— Jeff Morton (@jmorton78) September 26, 2015

Chris Kluwe ✔@ChrisWarcraft
    Lance Berkman needs to take a moment and reflect on some basic human traits like "empathy" and "critical thinking." http://www.outsports.com/2015/9/25/9...source=twitter
    4:40 PM - 25 Sep 2015

Jay Jaffe @jay_jaffe
    get bent, Lance Berkman http://www.outsports.com/2015/9/25/9...source=twitter
    4:16 PM - 25 Sep 2015

Craig Calcaterra ✔@craigcalcaterra
    Lance Berkman offers up tired, anti-trans scaremongering in Houston political ad. https://twitter.com/outsports/status/647502143784620032
    4:14 PM - 25 Sep 2015

While it appeared most Twitter reactions were negative, some people stuck up for Berkman:

Dr. Michael L. Brown @DrMichaelLBrown
    This is called 'Bigotry' today! Former Astros star Lance Berkman attacked for saying 'No men in women's bathrooms' http://bit.ly/1iBFtPv
    12:21 PM - 26 Sep 2015

Chip Roy @chiproytx
    Lance Berkman stands up for sanity in Houston. No boys in the girls bathroom. (How did this become a question?) https://twitter.com/fox26houston/sta...56459396022272
    9:35 AM - 26 Sep 2015

Proponents of Proposition 1 have dismissed the safety concerns of detractors, focusing instead on the broader equal rights advances the measure would achieve.

Berkman defended his remarks to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Friday, describing a scenario where one of his daughters is in a public bathroom “and there’s a guy in there and I don’t know what his intentions are. Is he a voyeur? Is he a child molester? Does he really think he’s a woman? I don’t know.”

Given chatter that the term “troubled men” in his audio ad referred to transgender individuals, Berkman told the Post-Dispatch that wasn’t what he meant.

"That terminology didn’t apply to transgender,” he told the paper. “I reserve the right to have my opinion. But I don’t think there is anybody in America that wouldn’t think a child molester is troubled. That language refers to that scenario or a voyeur – somebody who goes into a women’s bathroom and just likes to look at people. That to me is troubled. … To me, you’re introducing tremendous risk for a very little reward. It’s not like we’re preventing somebody from voting or depriving of a basic right that we in America consider your basic freedoms. We’re talking about just, hey, if you’re a guy go to the bathroom in the guy’s bathroom and if you’re a girl go to the girl’s bathroom.”

When asked if his sentiments would paint him as bigoted, Berkman — an outspoken Christian — told the Post-Dispatch that “you can’t please everybody.”

“I don’t say this to demean any segment of the population no matter how small. … You can pick at nits and say this is discriminating or that’s discrimination, but you drive yourself crazy and certainly I wouldn’t want to be painted or perceived as a guy that is discriminating against any member of our population,” he told the paper. “But, at the same time, I do think there are certain things that we’re better not traveling down that path.”

Toward the end of his career, Berkman had an at-bat for the St. Louis Cardinals that few who watched the thrilling 2011 World Series will ever forget. With the Cards on the brink of losing it all in the sixth game, Berkman hit a two-strike, two-out single to drive in the tying run in the top of the 10th. The Cardinals went on to win the game — and the Series — in seven games.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...s-been-brutal/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 7,627 Times in 4,003 Posts

It seems so odd that we are even dealing with this today.

I just think it would be a bad idea, overall, to allow anyone with a penis access to
    a women's rest room or locker room.

What if some pervert claims to identify as a female, just to gain access.

Then you get kids involved in this mess....

I'm forward thinking, but old fashioned in other ways.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 7,627 Times in 4,003 Posts

The key is that other people have rights & feelings.

There was a lot of support for that transgender teen that requested access to
    the female locker rooms or bathrooms, in her school.

But the other teen girls did not feel comfortable with this.

We had a debate about this at work, with most siding with the transgender teen.

But you can't discard how other people, involved, feel about it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

When I take my transgender client swimming, she comes into the ladies locker room with me. She may have a penis but I in no way consider her male. She's more feminine than I could ever dream of being.

We have gender neutral bathrooms at our university, and I believe a couple public schools do now too.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Sigh.

When will this asinine fear mongering end?

1) Hundreds of cities and a handful of states already have various anti-discrimination laws on the books, which mean transgender people cannot be discriminated against when it comes to taking a whiz. Guess what? No documented cases of assault have been reported because of gender neutral bathrooms. (People want a law against a crime that doesn't exist.)

2) On the contrary, according to a 2013 national survey among transgender people, roughly 70 percent claimed to have been "denied entrance, assaulted or harassed while trying to use a restroom."

3) The scare tactic that predators are somehow just waiting for "fair bathroom" laws to swoop in the women's john and molest kids is 100 percent unfounded and ridiculous. Predators are predators. They don't look for legal loopholes to commit heinous crimes. If this argument held any water, we would have to believe that a predator will willfully rape a child, but will not enter a bathroom of the opposite sex until the law says he can if he puts on a wig (or whatever). He's following the bathroom door sign laws, but breaking sexual assault laws?

4) Because of the transgender person in my life, I'm lucky enough to be included in the community. You wanna know what they say about all this? "I just wanna take a piss in peace." All of them.

To recap: Trans people aren't molesting kids or assaulting anyone when they use gender-neutral restrooms; trans people, in very large numbers, report being discriminated against (including assault) when trying to use a restroom; sexual predators are not simply waiting for a "fair bathroom" law to pose as a trans person and rape someone; trans people want to piss without a giant hassle.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:03 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

In all fairness to the percentage of people assaulted thing. I was at the movies yesterday (son's birthday party), had 3 girls at the party. If I saw what appeared to be a man walk into the girls bathroom when they were in there then they would have been assaulted as well.

If you look like a man then use the men's room. What you identify as doesn't matter. The boy/girl thing doesn't bother me as much. My daughters have been in the men's room since we walking then into the ladies room is a non starter for me.

Women, due to the horrific behavior of many men, will freak out if a dude strolls into their rest room. If that means a couple of men identifying as women have to use a stall in the men's room - so be it.

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

if the whole thing is about protecting children, why don't we designate bathrooms as "children" and "adults"?

we've been indoctrinated so much into the idea that men and women should not pee in the same room, that it's kind of comical.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I don't like this but not for the reasons why people may think. I just believe that if I am going to devastate a toilet, I sure don't want any women to be around. I wreck toilets and if I have to use a public restroom, would rather not do that around women.

Also I have cleaned a few women's restroom a time or two. They are far dirtier than us men. So I don't want them coming in

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    if the whole thing is about protecting children, why don't we designate bathrooms as "children" and "adults"?

we've been indoctrinated so much into the idea that men and women should not pee in the same room, that it's kind of comical.
    I don't think it's that. We have family washrooms that men and women can be in. That' fine. But a woman's washroom should be just that. I, the father of two 4 year old daughters, have them go in alone. Even though most women tell me its fine to go in with them. Out of respect for other women I'll stay outside. I know my wife would not want someone who looks like a dude in the washroom. This will end ugly. An overprotective mother is gonna put a bullet in one of these dudes.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    In all fairness to the percentage of people assaulted thing. I was at the movies yesterday (son's birthday party), had 3 girls at the party. If I saw what appeared to be a man walk into the girls bathroom when they were in there then they would have been assaulted as well.

If you look like a man then use the men's room. What you identify as doesn't matter. The boy/girl thing doesn't bother me as much. My daughters have been in the men's room since we walking then into the ladies room is a non starter for me.

Women, due to the horrific behavior of many men, will freak out if a dude strolls into their rest room. If that means a couple of men identifying as women have to use a stall in the men's room - so be it.
    Well said. It is just foolish to think that a sex offender would not take advantage of this situation.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post

My client does not look like a man unless you're staring at her crotch, and she is extremely vulnerable and has been abused IN MALE BATHROOMS on more than one occasion...

And would you not freak over someone that looks like a woman going into the boys bathroom? Women are just as capable of atrocities...

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I don't like this but not for the reasons why people may think. I just believe that if I am going to devastate a toilet, I sure don't want any women to be around. I wreck toilets and if I have to use a public restroom, would rather not do that around women.

Yeah, could you imagine being at a bar and trying to hit on a woman who just heard Godzilla's roar come out of your ass?

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

Also I have cleaned a few women's restroom a time or two. They are far dirtier than us men. So I don't want them coming in
    well the answer to that problem is more dietary than designating a male only or female only bathroom would resolve

and if bathrooms were unisex, would that cut out some of the shenanigans that happen in male only bathrooms?

I'm looking at you George Michael

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    My client does not look like a man unless you're staring at her crotch, and she is extremely vulnerable and has been abused IN MALE BATHROOMS on more than one occasion...

And would you not freak over someone that looks like a woman going into the boys bathroom? Women are just as capable of atrocities...

A woman does not pose the same kind of threat a man does. Call it sexism if you wish. But it's reality. If a woman walks into men's room, default thought is "she's getting her son". Man walks into woman's room, default thought is "somebody wants their ass kicked".

If your client looks like a woman to everyone who sees her then this isn't an issue. Use woman's room. No one will know.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 16,546 Times in 9,380 Posts

About 10 years ago, I accidentally (seriously) walked into the women's bathroom at Disneyland over by the rockets at the entrance to Tommorowland. I was a little confused when I couldn't find a urinal. After about 30 seconds, a thirty something lady walked in and we made eye contact. I asked her, "What are you doing in here?!?" She just looked at me, shook her head and sort of laughed. She obviously knew I had gone in there by mistake.

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: