Register
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:55 AM
    Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts

Default Last Shows for the Mighty?

As of today, we're down to six more shows. I've always maintained that this feels like an end for this lineup - but really hope I'm wrong! They were better then ever here (Virginia) this tour and, as a fan since '78, I'd like for them to continue. Certain signs point to a logical conclusion after next month, though.

I know we've killed this topic thousands of times in many Links threads...but just noticed there are only six shows left and Wolf (and his dad) will immediately concentrate on releasing his new music.

The end of an era? Who can offer some optimism that these guys will hang in there longer?
    1981 - Lexington
    1982 - Louisville
    1983 - Lexington
    1984 - Lexington and Cincinnati
    1988 - Lexington
    1994 - Cleveland
    2007 - Indianapolis
    2012 - Washington, DC and Nashville
    2015 - Bristow, VA

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

VH will continue.
    I have no direct line to Eddie or the band, and can only base this on personal opinion, yet I FEEL like they're not done yet. They have nothing to prove to anyone, and can retire if they want, but I swear to God, my gut is telling me that we'll get more from them.

This same lineup? Anyone's guess. 3 year timeline? hopefully not, but still anyone's guess.
    There's been several mentions about more studio work, Eddie's commented about trying to clean up some archived stuff, the 3 Halen's are playing their asses off, etc.
    I honestly won't count them out just yet. Keep the faith, and be patient!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 1,470 Times in 899 Posts

After every show, from the Hagar years, thru Cherone, back to Hagar and back to Roth......I always make sure to say good-bye as they take their bows. You never know when that will be the last time you see Van Halen.
    I am hopeful for the future. Not sure what that will bring.

If this is the last tour, then the only thing I can say is 'Thank you, Van Halen'.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    After every show, from the Hagar years, thru Cherone, back to Hagar and back to Roth......I always make sure to say good-bye as they take their bows. You never know when that will be the last time you see Van Halen.
    I am hopeful for the future. Not sure what that will bring.

If this is the last tour, then the only thing I can say is 'Thank you, Van Halen'.
    That's a good way of looking at it, Raldo!
    I did the same at the recent Toronto gig - I watched Eddie until the last possible second, at the end of the show. Thinking to myself " What an incredible ride, and what an outstanding show... Goodbye for now, yet I hope it's not for the last time!" And also "Thank you, Eddie and Co. for the best music on the planet!!! See Ya later..."
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hang 'em High
    Last Online

10.25.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 90 Times in 45 Posts

I agree, you never know with this band what the future will hold so I'm going to the show in Houston on Friday and soak up as much Van Halen as I can.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 1,964 Times in 1,364 Posts

Don't think this is the end of the line. They can do one off shows and mini tours for the next 10 years until 2025. They don't even need new music to do that. Just put out a best of or old DVD every few years. They can also do a few Vegas residencies with little to no effort.

After that they can play the State Fair circuit until about 2035...lol... with the rest of the bands from the 80s.

Then on the 60th anniversary of VH1 in 2038, they can play the Whiskey one last time in LA.....haha...

12. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All the ones Ed played on
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

05.04.16 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts

I don't think they're done! Wolf will put out his solo effort, and I think we will see more from them soon. Wasn't Ed quoted as saying musicians don't retire, they make music until they die. Besides, they sound too good to quit now!

14. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 623 Times in 291 Posts

Wolf will focus on his stuff end of this year and next year. Which I say good for him. I'm looking forward to hearing it. My guess is we see them again in 2 summers for the same type of tour. I'd love a new album but it just doesn't seem like it's in the cards with how they are creatively with each other and the climate of album sales these days. They should just start releasing random things through their website...demo's, rare live clips, etc. If they can add some of those to the set list and continue to add different deep cuts from their albums I'm sure we would all be there to see it live in 2017.

or

They can release a double album a day after this tour ends and go back on the road!!!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

I predict after this tour the band will disown everything they've done since 1978 then revert to using the name 'Rat Salad' and release the album 'Just Gettin' Started' with Ed on drums and Al on guitar

18. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:15 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

If I were to bet money, this is their last full blown tour. I hope I'm wrong. It is possible that they have another album and tour in 2-3 years. But if they do, I'm not sure how Dave could be 65 years old and still do what he does. Will he just stand there? If so, I'm not sure I like that idea.

The past show I went to (Tampa) I kind of got the feeling they were just doing this one for the fans, and it was over. I think they are having some fun, but it's also a lot of work for them.

I guess best possible option would be they release another album, but their tour is different. Play more acoustical (Could this be Magic?, Secrets) but still do some of the harder stuff. Kind of like a transition tour. I can't see them playing Unchained. Then again, maybe they will all get plastic surgery and go all out. DLR is in incredible shape...

But I just don't see it happening. This looks to be it.
    Right here I say....

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:55 AM
    Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    If I were to bet money, this is their last full blown tour. I hope I'm wrong. It is possible that they have another album and tour in 2-3 years. But if they do, I'm not sure how Dave could be 65 years old and still do what he does. Will he just stand there? If so, I'm not sure I like that idea.

The past show I went to (Tampa) I kind of got the feeling they were just doing this one for the fans, and it was over. I think they are having some fun, but it's also a lot of work for them.

I guess best possible option would be they release another album, but their tour is different. Play more acoustical (Could this be Magic?, Secrets) but still do some of the harder stuff. Kind of like a transition tour. I can't see them playing Unchained. Then again, maybe they will all get plastic surgery and go all out. DLR is in incredible shape...

But I just don't see it happening. This looks to be it.
    I agree and there are several signs: Deep cuts, working as hard as ever on-stage, Ed castigating Dave for not acting his age, the TV appearances, Wolf's music, randomly crushing Mikey, they're in their 60s, ending at the Hollywood Bowl, etc. - this feels like a last hurrah for the fans. And if it is the end, it's been freaking awesome. But it's also 37 years of my life, so will be sad to see it end.

And I guess you don't want to brand a tour as "this is it" but it would have cast the band in a different light (and generated even more attention?) if they had positioned this as a final tour. I guess in never-say-neverland, you just never know...
    1981 - Lexington
    1982 - Louisville
    1983 - Lexington
    1984 - Lexington and Cincinnati
    1988 - Lexington
    1994 - Cleveland
    2007 - Indianapolis
    2012 - Washington, DC and Nashville
    2015 - Bristow, VA

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:44 AM
    Liked 8,717 Times in 4,712 Posts

Premium Member

Oh ye of little faith. As long as they stay healthy and the fans keep comin they'll keep going, IMO.

23. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 648 Times in 358 Posts

I think i's almost certain that Ed, Al and Wolf will continue doing stuff together. Whether that's as Van Halen, and Dave is singing, remains to be seen but I can't really imagine them bringing in a new singer.

Personally, I think it'd be great if they did another Japan tour. A show in Osaka in the first week of April 2016 would be perfect. I say that strictly because the Japanese fans deserve another tour. It has nothing to do with me being in Osaka at that time.

25. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 341 Times in 192 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cfimages View Post
    Personally, I think it'd be great if they did another Japan tour. A show in Osaka in the first week of April 2016 would be perfect. I say that strictly because the Japanese fans deserve another tour. It has nothing to do with me being in Osaka at that time.
    Haha. I don't really get nostalgic for tours like these anymore, it's enough for me to know that they're getting it and that the poeple that are compelled to go are enjoying it. However, if they did somehow make it to my corner of the world in April, I might be obligated to go, as not only would it be an anomaly, but would occur near my birthday, as well. However, I will also be expecting the birth of my child at that time, so, you know... priorities! haha.

27. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:56 AM
    Liked 1,943 Times in 913 Posts

Premium Member

There's a part of me that can see them releasing a new album with the remainder of the songs they worked on for ADKOT, along with another new song or two (like SF & YAYB). I can also see them deciding to hit the clubs like the old days. Less moving around for Dave (less shouting too), money not the driver but instead the love of the gig. Don't know how often they'd play but that would obviously be super cool.
    Last edited by DRFC; 09.23.15 at 09:32 AM.