Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Family pic at open coffin with heroin warning goes viral

Heroin, the cost that families pay. More and more often families are including in obituaries the fact that the death was drug related. This woman has gone one step further. Some say it is tasteless, I say its about time we had a truthful conversation about drugs in our society

We need to look at how we are dealing with drug addiction in this country and our need for a pain free existence that requires relying on prescription drugs.

We prescribe far more opiate drugs per capita than any other country and once the pill mill dries up, so many turn to heroin to fill the need

it's catastrophic and its not in the inner city its in the small towns and cul de sacs and college campus'
    even here in rural Ohio the police are carrying Narcan and in a small town near hear, the health department has announced that people who have a loved one who has an addiction can apply to be issued Narcan to have in their homes.

https://www.facebook.com/eva.holland.79

From Cincinnati.com
    http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...iral/72311494/

A photograph of a woman with her young children at the open casket carrying their dead father was intended to be a message about heroin’s destructive power.

Eva Holland’s Facebook photo swept through social media with 279,901 shares as of 11:45 a.m. Tuesday and made international news.

Her comments on her post suggest that Michael Settles died of a heroin overdose. The Hamilton County coroner’s office has yet to rule on what killed Settles, 26, of Cincinnati. He died Sept. 2.

Holland, of Cincinnati, did not immediately return a request to be interviewed by The Enquirer; however, she said in her Facebook post that she just wanted to help those entangled in heroin addiction, which has become a nationwide epidemic.

“I know a lot of people may be upset I’m putting it out in the open like this but hiding the facts is only going to keep this epidemic going. The cold hard truth is heroin kills. You may think it will never happen to you but guess what that’s what Mike thought too.”

Her photo and words were met with sympathy by some, including people who are struggling with heroin addiction, and with criticism by others.

It wasn’t the first time a family has used a loved one's death to raise awareness of the harrowing effects of heroin.

Fred and Dorothy McIntosh Shuemake of Middleton recently stated in the obituary for their 18-year-old daughter, Alison Shuemake that she died of a heroin overdose.

“What really matters is keeping some other person, especially a child, from trying this ... We didn’t want anybody else to feel the same agony and wretchedness that we’re left with,” Dorothy McIntosh Shuemake told an Associated Press reporter.

Kimberly Wright, of Cold Spring, who has been at the forefront of a moms’ movement fighting heroin in Kentucky, said the photo is difficult for some to take, but could have its intended impact.

“I understand why she did it, but for families who have lost a child, it’s upsetting,” said Wright, who runs a support group for Kentucky parents of heroin-addicted children. Her closed Facebook group has 502 members.

“But I understand the message she’s trying to get across. The public still believes this will never happen to their family. That those people are your typical ‘drug addicts,’ ” Wright said. “What the public fails to realize is ... heroin dealers are targeting middle class people and people from all walks of life.

“I applaud her efforts to bring awareness to the community of how heroin not only affects the user but the entire family,” Wright said. “If she gets one user to stop, then her message was heard and that’s what matters.”

Holland has stated in a Facebook post that a woman reached out to her, saying that the photograph has convinced her to seek help for her addiction

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

This is real folks. I have two friends I went to High School with that have lost children. They both posted this when it first hit last week. Family's are desperate to spread the word about this shit.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 7,867 Times in 4,595 Posts

Premium Member

Why are they smiling in the pic?

There's a dead body behind you.

Ffs...people get in front of a camera and lose all perspective.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

My son has struggled with this drug. Friends of his have died from it. It doesn't discriminate either.... it affects well to do families, and folks from the wrong side of the tracks.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sad absolutely horrible
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

I hate to say it but I think just about everyone is one ER visit or one dental procedure from an addiction.

when I was in high school and I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I was given a numbing shot and instructions to use an ice pack for swelling and take tylenol

when my nephew had his wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago, he too was given a numbing shot...and a prescription for 30 vicodin

why?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 648 Times in 358 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I hate to say it but I think just about everyone is one ER visit or one dental procedure from an addiction.

when I was in high school and I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I was given a numbing shot and instructions to use an ice pack for swelling and take tylenol

when my nephew had his wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago, he too was given a numbing shot...and a prescription for 30 vicodin

why?
    That's nuts. I'm not in the US, but when I broke my wrist last year and had a plate inserted, I left hospital the day after surgery with a packet of 20 tylenol. That and an ice pack was all the doctor said was needed. And while I wasn't completely pain free, it wasn't bad pain and I didn't even get through all 20 tylenol. I can't really imagine why doctors would be prescribing vicodin knowing how addictive it can be.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 6,694 Times in 3,714 Posts

why?
    vicodin for wisdom teeth? Did mine a few years ago and my dentist told me to take a tylenol if needed but mainly just said to have ice cream. Pretty sure it was the butterscotch ripple that got me through it. Worked for me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

my brother showed me the prescription and he was pretty appalled, I recall the script being for one every 6 hours and it was a weeks supply so something like 28 pills. We talked about whether it was needed and based on our experiences we thought there was no need to fill the script. I mean, even if he had gotten a dry socket, there are better ways of treating that.

I sprained my ankle badly about 6 years ago and left the ER with a whopping pain med prescription that never got filled. I used tylenol and ice.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

There is no heroin epidemic.

Here is a typical story about it. "According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, heroin use has been on the rise since 2007. In 2012, about 669,000 Americans reported using heroin in the past year, up from about 373,000 in 2007." (http://thenationshealth.aphapublicat.../44/4/1.1.full) One other way that is often put is that heroin use doubled from 2007-2012 (technically 98.5% increase).

Of course, those numbers must be put into perspective. From 2002-2011, people who used heroin in the last year remained at 0.2% of the population, except for 2003 and 2007, where it was 0.1% of the population. In 2012, that increased to 0.3% of the population. However, over that entire time, past month use of heroin has remained steady at 0.1% of the population. From 2012-2013, past year use declined by 2%, but past month use decreased 14%, holding steady at . . . 0.1% of the population.

There is no doubt that the NSDUH misses users, but it should give us a real idea about trends--and the trend is that the number of regular heroin users is holding steady.

The dirty truth is that every time we "crack down" on this, it gets worse. Heroin was invented by Bayer while looking for a non-addictive form of morphine. Meth was a result of our campaign against cocaine in the early 20th century (which itself, as with most drugs, was based upon racist concerns). Bath salts arrived as a result of cracking down on meth. And synthetic marijuana was actually invented with government money, handed out to colleges, hoping to find a 'cure' for marijuana--one that couldn't get you high. And when we cracked down on prescription drugs, heroin use rose.

Every single time, something worse comes along. And the reason heroin is worse than prescription drugs is that black market alternatives are always less safe.

Finally overdoses almost always happen when someone is using more than one drug. Phillip Symour Hoffman, the most famous face of the 'epidemic,' actually died of acute mixed drug intoxication, with a combination of heroin and benzodiazepines, which includes valium and xanax.

Drug abuse is a problem, just like alcohol abuse. But we are going about it the wrong way if we want to save lives.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

there's a heroin problem for sure. it's part of a bigger problem. It's how you look at it. People who are finding their local pill mill closed up or prices for prescrition opiates are up on the black market are switching to heroin.

yeah we are definitely dealing with the drug war wrong. Do you know how many 3 strikers are serving life sentences for marijuana? That's crazy. Spending so much money on fighting pot when the real problem comes in pills, needles and pipes.

Drug courts are being formed even in rural counties like mine because the judges are sick of seeing people ruined by going thru court and getting prison terms instead of treatment. We are looking at the entire problem back assward

build new rehab facilities not prisons

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Why are they smiling in the pic?

There's a dead body behind you.

Ffs...people get in front of a camera and lose all perspective.
    People deal with grief in different ways. I was much older than these boys when my dad passed away, but I remember after crying for about 3 days straight, his wake (once we got over the initial shock) turned into a strangely happy affair where I spent more time laughing and smiling than I would have ever expected.

In a way, this picture is even more powerful because they are smiling. It presents this odd dichotomy that is both uncomfortable, yet powerful. You have a young, otherwise happy family that has just lost a member to drug abuse.

This dad will never see his kids smile again.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    There is no heroin epidemic.

Here is a typical story about it. "According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, heroin use has been on the rise since 2007. In 2012, about 669,000 Americans reported using heroin in the past year, up from about 373,000 in 2007." (http://thenationshealth.aphapublicat.../44/4/1.1.full) One other way that is often put is that heroin use doubled from 2007-2012 (technically 98.5% increase).

Of course, those numbers must be put into perspective. From 2002-2011, people who used heroin in the last year remained at 0.2% of the population, except for 2003 and 2007, where it was 0.1% of the population. In 2012, that increased to 0.3% of the population. However, over that entire time, past month use of heroin has remained steady at 0.1% of the population. From 2012-2013, past year use declined by 2%, but past month use decreased 14%, holding steady at . . . 0.1% of the population.

There is no doubt that the NSDUH misses users, but it should give us a real idea about trends--and the trend is that the number of regular heroin users is holding steady.

The dirty truth is that every time we "crack down" on this, it gets worse. Heroin was invented by Bayer while looking for a non-addictive form of morphine. Meth was a result of our campaign against cocaine in the early 20th century (which itself, as with most drugs, was based upon racist concerns). Bath salts arrived as a result of cracking down on meth. And synthetic marijuana was actually invented with government money, handed out to colleges, hoping to find a 'cure' for marijuana--one that couldn't get you high. And when we cracked down on prescription drugs, heroin use rose.

Every single time, something worse comes along. And the reason heroin is worse than prescription drugs is that black market alternatives are always less safe.

Finally overdoses almost always happen when someone is using more than one drug. Phillip Symour Hoffman, the most famous face of the 'epidemic,' actually died of acute mixed drug intoxication, with a combination of heroin and benzodiazepines, which includes valium and xanax.

Drug abuse is a problem, just like alcohol abuse. But we are going about it the wrong way if we want to save lives.
    Good post and I always enjoy reading your takes which are well researched.

While those numbers may be true, I wonder what the death rate for heroin overdose is and how that compares? I know here in STL that it seems like it is more common and encroaching into suburbia, whereas before heroin seemed like an issue for seedy neighborhoods with junkies living in squalor. As a result more people are talking about it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

How about we just kill all the dealers and he mobs who run the business world wide. Just kill them all. I have held dead drug addicts in my hands and had family members screaming. Its real and getting worse by the day. The medical people need to adjust too and give Advil or Tylenol for a root canal.
    Last edited by edwardv; 09.17.15 at 07:28 AM.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

there's a heroin problem for sure. it's part of a bigger problem. It's how you look at it. People who are finding their local pill mill closed up or prices for prescrition opiates are up on the black market are switching to heroin.

yeah we are definitely dealing with the drug war wrong. Do you know how many 3 strikers are serving life sentences for marijuana? That's crazy. Spending so much money on fighting pot when the real problem comes in pills, needles and pipes.

Drug courts are being formed even in rural counties like mine because the judges are sick of seeing people ruined by going thru court and getting prison terms instead of treatment. We are looking at the entire problem back assward

build new rehab facilities not prisons
    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Good post and I always enjoy reading your takes which are well researched.

While those numbers may be true, I wonder what the death rate for heroin overdose is and how that compares? I know here in STL that it seems like it is more common and encroaching into suburbia, whereas before heroin seemed like an issue for seedy neighborhoods with junkies living in squalor. As a result more people are talking about it.
    Well okay, but there's a huge difference between a 'problem' and an 'epidemic,' and it's being framed as the latter. Admittedly, when people switch from a legal product to a black market product, that's a problem, and that's not to say that the legal product is safe. Alcohol isn't 'safe,' but it's much safer than it was during prohibition.

The problem with heroin is that, at least in the US, it is relegated to street status. You're getting essentially medically pure heroin in the hospital if you have an injury. The only difference between medically pure heroin and medically pure morphine is a slight change to the molecule so it passes the blood-brain barrier more quickly. But otherwise the body metabolizes heroin as morphine, because that is what it is.

On every alcohol container you buy, the potency is clearly labeled. I offered two beers for my wedding--Orange Wheat by Hangar 24 and Double-Barrel Ale by Firestone Walker. Right on there it says that the former is 4.6% alcohol by volume and the latter is 5.0%. Every bottle of wine, every bottle of liquor is the same. We also know that the process is closely regulated and neither brewery is likely to put a dangerous ingredient into their beer.

When you buy heroin, you literally have no idea and are putting your trust in a vast criminal enterprise to whom your life is valueless. Yes, if you buy the same thing from the same dealer over and over, you will get something relatively consistent. But it isn't pure, and the other big question mark is what it is 'cut' with, because often times THAT is unsafe, or it is another drug and you don't know that. I'd be interested to know when the last time is someone bought a bottle of bourbon and it turned out to be 25% more potent than the last 10 times AND it contained impurities that were dangerous to humans. My guess would be black market liquor during prohibition.

Like I said, the government cracked down on prescription drugs and people turned to heroin which is dangerous. But just like most people we have heard who OD on prescription pills, those who OD on heroin almost always have other drugs in their system.

If we did nothing other than put out a campaign that using more than one drug at a time is dangerous and if at least one is illegal, then the odds of death go way up, we'd save more lives than what we do now, which is telling kids that marijuana is worse than alcohol, heroin will make you addicted with one drop (it won't), and all of them will kill you if you ever try one.