Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 16,486 Times in 9,343 Posts

Default Van Halen I vs Back In Black, song for song ...

Since Women And Children First vs Back in Black seemed to go over like a Rosie O'Donell vs Melissa McCarthy bikini contest, let's go with Van Halen's most iconic album vs AC/DC's most iconic album. Eruption/You Really Got Me will be combined so that each album has 10 songs.

Here we go ...

Runnin' With The Devil vs Hells Bells - Hells Bells (AC/DC barely edges out VH in the "Battle of Beelzebub")
    Eruption/YRGM vs Shoot To Thrill - Eruption/YRGM (Shoot To Thrill is awesome, but not as awesome as Eruption)
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love vs What Do You Do For Money Honey - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    I'm The One vs Given The Dog A Bone - I'm The One (Easily)
    Jamie's Cryin' vs Let Me Put My Love Into You - Jamie's Cryin'
    Atomic Punk vs Back In Black - Back In Black
    Feel Your Love Tonight vs You Shook Me All Night Long - Feel Your Love Tonight (I'm not of a big fan of YSMANL)
    Little Dreamer vs Have A Drink On Me - Have A Drink On Me (Easily. HADOM is my favorite song on BIB)
    Ice Cream Man vs Shake A Leg - Tie (Too close to call. I love them both)
    On Fire vs Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - On Fire

Van Halen I wins 6-3-1
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Since Women And Children First vs Back in Black seemed to go over like a Rosie O'Donell vs Melissa McCarthy bikini contest, let's go with Van Halen's most iconic album vs AC/DC's most iconic album. Eruption/You Really Got Me will be combined so that each album has 10 songs.

Here we go ...

Runnin' With The Devil vs Hells Bells - Hells Bells (AC/DC barely edges out VH in the "Battle of Beelzebub")
    Eruption/YRGM vs Shoot To Thrill - Eruption/YRGM (Shoot To Thrill is awesome, but not as awesome as Eruption)
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love vs What Do You Do For Money Honey - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    I'm The One vs Given The Dog A Bone - I'm The One (Easily)
    Feel Your Love Tonight vs You Shook Me All Night Long - Feel Your Love Tonight (I'm not of a big fan of YSMANL)
    Little Dreamer vs Have A Drink On Me - Have A Drink On Me (Easily. HADOM is my favorite song on BIB)
    Ice Cream Man vs Shake A Leg - Tie (Too close to call. I love them both)
    On Fire vs Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - On Fire

Van Halen I wins 6-3-1
    Pretty much the way I Iean...

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 8,707 Times in 4,703 Posts

Premium Member

Have A Drink On Me(also my fav on BIB) easily over Little Dreamer. Shake A Leg MAYBE over ICM, depending on my mood. I probably like Shoot To Thrill more than YRGM, but Eruption blows both songs away. Other than that, VH walks all over BIB.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

I enjoy these showdowns. Makes me think about songs in a new way sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Hee hee... I'm a fan of both those ladies, but maybe not along those lines.

Runnin' With The Devil vs Hells Bells - RWTD. I do love HB, but not enough to unseat RWTD
    Eruption/YRGM vs Shoot To Thrill - Eruption/YRGM Close, but no cigar for STT
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love vs What Do You Do For Money Honey - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love Not that close
    I'm The One vs Given The Dog A Bone - I'm The One Not close...GTDAB is silly and creepy. Too much EVH for AC/DC
    Jamie's Cryin' vs Let Me Put My Love Into You - Jamie's Cryin' Not a fan of LMPMLIY.
    Atomic Punk vs Back In Black - Back In Black BIB edges out AP just barely.
    Feel Your Love Tonight vs You Shook Me All Night Long - Feel Your Love Tonight Wow...VERY close
    Little Dreamer vs Have A Drink On Me - Little Dreamer
    Ice Cream Man vs Shake A Leg - ICM I had to go listen to SAG...cool song..but no ICM.
    On Fire vs Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - On Fire Kinda close, but the VH energy is too much to beat

VH I wins 9-1

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

Hell's Bells
    Eruption / YRGM
    What Do You Do For Money Honey
    - dead heat - 1 point each
    Jamie's Cryin
    Back In Black
    Feel Your Love Tonight
    Little Dreamer
    Ice Cream Man
    On Fire

VH 7-4 win

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Not close...GTDAB is silly and creepy.
    heh, maybe it's cause I've been listening to it since the days when I literally thought it was about giving a bone to a dog, but I don't find it that silly and/or creepy by their standards. As for the music, one of DC's best ever riffs and tunes IMO
    Last edited by fat worm; 09.15.15 at 12:19 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Both are classic albums in their own right. I don't feel the need to hold one higher than the other.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

OK, I'll play. didn't mean to get dicky in the other thread. Continuing that thread, tho, in the Bon vs Brian debate, no doubt Bon was more charismatic and interesting, but BIB is clearly their best effort. Highway is a close second, but the production wasn't quite as good and they really hit it out of the park with BIB. Nuff said.

Runnin' With The Devil vs Hells Bells - So tired of RWTD. Never really got the love for it. Kind goes nowhere for me. Bells is a great opening track.
    Eruption/YRGM vs Shoot To Thrill - if it weren't for Eruption being tagged on here, I'd go for the Thrill. YRGM is great. But STT may be the best track on their best record.
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love vs What Do You Do For Money Honey - This was close. Learned both as a youngster and always dug the energy/chorus/solo/everything about Money. But ATBL is iconic as iconic riffs get. And Dave is excellent form here, as well.
    I'm The One vs Given The Dog A Bone - No brainer, no contest, nolo contendre
    Jamie's Cryin' vs Let Me Put My Love Into You - Cryin by a pear hair. Don't really care about either one of these.
    Atomic Punk vs Back In Black - Punk is great. Can't believe it's getting the shaft here. BIB was great once upon a time, but maybe I played it to death in cover bands.
    Feel Your Love Tonight vs You Shook Me All Night Long - No contest. Shook Me is about as perfect a rock song as ever was.
    Little Dreamer vs Have A Drink On Me - Dreamer may be my least favorite on one. Something very 10 Little Indians about it. Drink is a cracker.
    Ice Cream Man vs Shake A Leg - Tough call. Shake is epic Brian Johnson and a killer riff. But dat IC solo, bro...
    On Fire vs Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - Again, no contest.

3C/DC, 1 for the win

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Runnin' With The Devil vs Hells Bells - Runnin' With The Devil Coulda went either way
    Eruption/YRGM vs Shoot To Thrill - Eruption/YRGM Because of Eruption
    I'm The One vs Given The Dog A Bone - I'm The One Coulda went either way, the music on both songs is awesome, but not fond of the lyrics on either. THe lame "shooby doo wahh" breakdown almost pushed it towards AC/DC but Ed saved the day
    Atomic Punk vs Back In Black - Back In Black was never an Atomic Punk fan, so this was easy
    Feel Your Love Tonight vs You Shook Me All Night Long - You Shook Me All Night Long super close because I love FYLT, but had to go ACDC
    Ice Cream Man vs Shake A Leg - ICM but close
    On Fire vs Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - Roll Ain't Noise Pollution blowout win over On Fire

7 to 3, Van Halen with the win

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:28 AM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 504 Posts

I'm trying not to be a fan boy since Back in Black is one of the biggest rock records of all time. I'd prefer to spin VH1 but I think the average music fan wouldn't.

Runnin' With The Devil vs Hells Bells - Hells Bells
    Eruption/YRGM vs Shoot To Thrill – Shoot to Thrill (Eruption is epic but it’s paired with a cover song, granted a good one but…)
    I'm The One vs Given The Dog A Bone – I'm the One
    Feel Your Love Tonight vs You Shook Me All Night Long – Your Shook Me All Night Long(overplayed but a great song is a great song)
    Little Dreamer vs Have A Drink On Me - Have A Drink On Me
    Ice Cream Man vs Shake A Leg – Ice Cream Man (VH with no ICM is like a hot dog without mustard)
    On Fire vs Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution – Noise Pollution

BIB wins 6-4
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    BIB is clearly their best effort. Highway is a close second, but the production wasn't quite as good and they really hit it out of the park with BIB. Nuff said.
    dunno, both are 2 of the best produced hard rock albums of the era but I prefer the production on HTH. a bit less 'metal' than BIB and a bit more funky/soulful sounding if anything... phil's drums never sounded better. after BIB the albums got less well produced as the 80s went on

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

IMO, doing these threads as match ups betweens songs in the order they appear on the albums isn't the right way to go.

Just take the best songs from a VH albume and match 'em up with the best songs from whoever the competition is and let the cream rise to the top. Otherwise, you're going to have mismatches. Seriously, Shook Me All Night Long needs to be matching up to something besides Feel Your Love Tonight.

I'll take VH over Back in Black any day of the week. All AC/DC sounds the same to me. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, by any means. I love AC/DC, but I have to be in the mood for it.

Whereas, I listen to Van Halen nearly every single day, and specifically something from the first album at least 5 times a week. It never gets old. Plus, VH's sound and vibe changed throughout the years, so if you're not in the mood for early VH, you can try 1984....if not that, then F.U.C.K for a total change of pace. I listen to ADKOT songs several times a week. Just depends.

But with AC/DC, no matter which album of theirs you choose, you get exactly the same thing....so I have to be thinking "time for some basic hard rock".

Bottom line, IMO Van Halen is a stronger album, top to bottom, then Back in Black, but You Shook Me All Night Long is probably the best rock song on either of them. It's overplayed, but there's a reason for that: It's good.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

01.21.16 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 623 Times in 347 Posts

Runnin' With The Devil vs Hells Bells - TIE
    Eruption/YRGM vs Shoot To Thrill - Eruption/YRGM
    I'm The One vs Given The Dog A Bone - I'm The One
    Feel Your Love Tonight vs You Shook Me All Night Long - You Shook Me All Night Long
    Ice Cream Man vs Shake A Leg - Ice Cream Man
    On Fire vs Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

6-3-1: Van Halen I

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 11,542 Times in 4,917 Posts

Default Van Halen I vs Back In Black, song for song ...

Hells Bells
    Eruption/YRGM
    ATBL
    I'm The One
    Let Me Put My Love Into You
    BIB
    You Shook Me All Night Long
    Have A Drink On Me
    Ice Cream Man
    On Fire

I've got it 5-5.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

My three favorite songs from Van Halen I ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

My three favorite songs from Back In Black ...