Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.07.17 @ 11:36 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default EVH - Piano recordings?

I've seen & heard many reports of Ed playing the piano; are there any recordings/bootlegs/downloads of this? Would love to hear some of this....
    Kevin

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:25 PM
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts

Premium Member

There's the school benefit that Ed and Sammy did, where he plays acoustic piano for a song or two.
    Also, a brief clip from "The Gathering", where he hosted the Sacred Sin release party at his own house. Ed did a pretty fast run on the keys. You might find a 1998 video where VH played "How Many Say I?" in concert.

I'm not being funny, either. All of these are pretty clear examples that Ed really can play and improvise very well, on his first instrument. I'm tech idiotic with posting videos, yet these rarities should still be up on YouTube.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

All you have to do is post the URL in your post and the site will automatically convert to video.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    All you have to do is post the URL in your post and the site will automatically convert to video.
    I really should start learning stuff like that! Haha.

Honestly though... Thanks
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

(This one still makes me a little sad)

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post

(This one still makes me a little sad)
    Many thanks!
    I'm sure there are more piano clips of EVH, but these are two of the ones I mentioned above^^.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Many thanks!
    I'm sure there are more piano clips of EVH, but these are two of the ones I mentioned above^^.
    Yeah, and no problem. I posted them because funnily enough, I was just looking for them on the weekend before seeing this thread.
    You're right...There were other EVH piano vids. I was looking for one from Entertainment Tonight from the late eighties, or early nineties I remembered.
    There was also another clip that I saw over at another forum around 5 years ago from Dutch TV, (in Dutch) from around the time Wolfie was born where they showed him playing Piano, and showing how he played 316 on acoustic before he was born on Val's belly. It was only a two or three minute piece but I have not seen it anywhere for quite a while. Maybe it got pulled for copyright early on, so no one was able to download it and re-post. I'd love to see it again though...there was some dialog over his playing, but he was playing classical, and he was damn good! You can see how he won those awards back in the day...Just a natural player.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I know this isn't a piano tune, but the clean BOBW version that Eddie did with Sammy at the Bridge School Benefit.

Funny seeing Ed play that Packard guitar. I hated that guitar, but Ed makes it sound amazing. I bet he just showed up and it was the only electric there, so he played it.

I love that version of BOBW. It emphasizes how incredibly tasteful Ed does the little things. My favorite part of BOBW was the bouncing rhythm Ed did on the A string while plucking or ringing out in the bridge and verse parts. So cool to hear it without anything but Sam's voice.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

I know this isn't a piano tune, but the clean BOBW version that Eddie did with Sammy at the Bridge School Benefit.

Funny seeing Ed play that Packard guitar. I hated that guitar, but Ed makes it sound amazing. I bet he just showed up and it was the only electric there, so he played it.

I love that version of BOBW. It emphasizes how incredibly tasteful Ed does the little things. My favorite part of BOBW was the bouncing rhythm Ed did on the A string while plucking or ringing out in the bridge and verse parts. So cool to hear it without anything but Sam's voice.
    It's a great version! You're bang on with those Parkers.
    Y'know, a luthier friend of mine absolutely dreaded those things. They were made of unconventional woods, and composites. The necks were atrocious, and after a couple years many became unplayable because they would warp so badly. They were touted as one of the best new and innovative guitar designs going when they hit NAMM, but they ended up being nothing but turkeys.
    I agree though...He made it sound great here.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Funny thing about those Parker guitars... I thought they were supposed to revolutionize the electric guitar, because of the composite materials, in the same way that Steinbergers were touted as the next big thing. Who knew? LOL.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Totally!
    And the neat thing is, that the clean plucked chords (triads) are the same voicings I was mentioning in another thread - as essential EVH songwriting tools. He uses them better than anyone else I've ever heard!

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Yeah, and no problem. I posted them because funnily enough, I was just looking for them on the weekend before seeing this thread.
    You're right...There were other EVH piano vids. I was looking for one from Entertainment Tonight from the late eighties, or early nineties I remembered.
    There was also another clip that I saw over at another forum around 5 years ago from Dutch TV, (in Dutch) from around the time Wolfie was born where they showed him playing Piano, and showing how he played 316 on acoustic before he was born on Val's belly. It was only a two or three minute piece but I have not seen it anywhere for quite a while. Maybe it got pulled for copyright early on, so no one was able to download it and re-post. I'd love to see it again though...there was some dialog over his playing, but he was playing classical, and he was damn good! You can see how he won those awards back in the day...Just a natural player.
    That's too bad... I'd love to have seen that footage! Same as Stompin' 8H, which has been posted and pulled a gazillion times. Maybe the stuff you mentioned will resurface someday.

Btw, the Letterman performance of "Not Enough" has some cool piano playing, before Ed straps on the Wolfgang for the electric parts.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Maybe Wolfgang will take some video of Dad tickling the ivories some day. I'd love to hear more of Ed playing on that beautiful grand piano.

Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Thumbs up Van Halen 1984 Tour "EVH Keyboard Solo" (w/ David Lee Roth)

My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114