Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Default Amazing & inspiring moments from your own playing days?

This is intended to be fun... There's a lot of guitar players here (duh!), and I'm sure we've all had some cool memories from playing live shows/recording etc. Many of us have been fortunate enough to not only play, but to play "out" and sometimes even inspire others.

I'd like to hear the stories! There's a few of my own I'd like to share, and look forward to seeing yours too!
    I posted this in the Guitar Room forum, because, well, yeah... - I'm a one trick pony! Haha.

If any of you are proficient on other instruments, please also feel free to post away.
    Go...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,317 Times in 3,175 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I can play the drums, piano, tenor sax, guitar, bass and oboe.

Let's see, I had a strap come off the mount and the guitar hit me in the foot while I was playing a party in college. (Luckily I couldn't feel my gums)
    Also had someone knock me off my kit and knocked over most of my drums in high school. Cymbals are heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I once played the outro for "Dreams" on keyboard in high school, for my music theory class. I passed, but only by the seat of my pants!

Really, guys/gals? No one wants to chime in with their own personal music stories? I have a bunch... Perhaps I should've put this in the Premium Members Only forum? LOL.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

For me probably it was playing at El Macambo, just knowing that acts I love like Jimi, SRV, the Stones and U2 played there.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 627 Times in 310 Posts

I don't really have many stories, but probably the coolest (for me) was last year when my physics teacher asked my to bring in some guitars for the start of the lesson on sound. I played bits of "Spanish Fly" and "Eruption", "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love", and the acoustic version of "Layla".
    For someone who doesn't play live shows (yet!) it was a really cool experience. People actually cheered haha.
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

I play the drums but not as much as I'd like to. My son has been playing percussion for a couple of years and is getting really good at the bells.
    I was a band geek in high school and really enjoyed participating in the band competitions.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Not sure if this qualifies but growing up I played drums, old slingerland set, and picked up the bass in high school because 2 of my friends wanted to start a band and needed a bass player. Anyway fast forward 25 years and I got my oldest son his first drum kit and in 2012 I bought a Franky from a member here. Now at the age of 17 my son plays drums in a band with his cousin and has built to Frankenstein guitars and can play circles around me. It is a nice feeling to know that I had a small part in inspiring him to play.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 2,385 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I took drum lessons from 4th grade til 8th grade. Organ lessons at a music store for 3 years. I did a recital once on organ was pretty cool. Jon Lord I'm not. I only sat in with a local rock band once in a basement but it was an experience I will never forget that was on drums. Yes I hold the sticks right!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

One of my old bands played at an all ages fundraiser. This was just prior to us landing who would become our full time singer, so we played as a three piece, and did all instrumentals.
    We did Panama, ATBL, Mr. Crowley, Bark at the Moon, Crazy Train, etc.

A bunch of kids came up after the show and asked for MY autograph! Very cool moment for me. Later, some of them actually came into the music store where I worked, to buy guitars and sign up for lessons. I ended up teaching about 4 of them, out of my parent's home at the time. I was about 19 or 20. The lessons didn't last for long though, because I was getting into rehearsing and gigging full time, in addition to working in the guitar dept. of the local music store. Great times, and the best job I ever had!!!!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,616 Times in 3,994 Posts

I'll never forget it.
    Picture the setting:

Slippery when Wet had just dropped, and i had the original cassette
    featuring the later to be deleted "buxom chick in bikini" cover (soaking wet,
    of course).

We had set up our Peavey Bandits in the Junior High Gymnasium.
    I was playing a day-glo, fluorscent pink HM strat with locking Kahler tremolo.
    My buddy, Anchovie, had a half shirt on & a matching salmon colored silk
    scarf draped around his neck.

Bonehead was in the audience, along with several preppy chicks from various
    classes.

Our drummer, Taco, had downs syndrome, but was high functioning.

The second we launched into our first song, "(she's a little) Runaway,"
    the audience was eating out of our hands.
    "Feels so good" followed (Hey, we had an advance copy of OU812!)
    and Anchovie played the opening synth line on a kazoo.

That one song summed up our entire performance, on that near perfect day:

SO GOOD!

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

^^^ Wow... You really are a fucking sociopath!!!

"I studied with Joe Stump and could play all Nuno's tapped arpeggios, but I've never poster a clip of even tuning a guitar..." Nice to see your old M.O. show up yet again, to try and rile up crap on here. Classy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	see_you_trolling.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	3061

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

My old band played a wide range of tunes. We did none of them totally great, but all of them really well. Haha
    I used to learn a lot from the old GFTPM magazines. Thanks Wolf, Andy, Ken, etc.

Any-hooo, at one gig, this regular comes up to be and says "You play all the solos just like the record!" That felt nice to hear, even though I did my share of improvising as well.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I'll share one from a week ago:

I've been more interested in acoustic fingerstyle playing in recent years and I've wanted to learn Richard Thompson's 1952 Vincent Black Lightning since the first time I heard it more than two decades ago. I got the first really good acoustic guitar I've ever owned about eighteen months ago - a Larrivee OM40R - and I decided I was going to have a proper crack at playing and singing this song. So I've been working on it ever since, and finally got to the point where I could play an approximation of it from start to finish, and sing at the same time.

As it happens, I was going to a BBQ party last week and a couple of guys brought guitars. I made a point of going easy on the beer and playing this song early in the night seeing as there was no way I would get through it with even a mild beer buzz. So I had a crack at it, and played it almost perfectly (at least my version of it) and I even remembered all the words! I've never been so proud as a guitarist.

If you're interested, here's Richard Thompson playing it:

And if anyone is further interested, here's a piece I recorded with the Larrivee back when I first got it:

HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 2,225 Times in 1,123 Posts

Premium Member

When I was in college American Idol was just becoming the rage. Our school put on a University Idol contest which was just a glorified talent show. Acts ranged from singing, to instruments, to dancing, etc.

I've never played in a band, but my buddy and I played several open mic nights on campus, so I decided I would take a stab at playing guitar in front of everyone. I decided to play a loose interpretation of Eddie's live solo spot. I think they announced it as "Guitar in the style of Eddie Van Halen" or something like that. Anyway, I got up there and started with 316, easing into it. After about a minute or two of that, it was really quiet in the hall and I went into the Mean Street intro thing he does live and segued into a longer tapping bit. As soon as I jumped into Mean Street I heard a number of people in the front rows go "whoa."

I guess they never saw/heard two handed tapping on a guitar

It was one of those moments that I'll remember forever. The funny thing was that I was just a hack on the guitar, yet these people thought I was amazing. I guess when you're raised on a generation of music that requires no talent or hard work, even seeing a tiny amount it can surprise.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

Coolest story I had with an instrument unfortunately wasn't with the guitar but my first instrument, the trumpet. While a hack at guitar, I was really good at trumpet but guitar ruined that for me. Anyway my high school was one of the better drum corp style marching bands in the country so we would get invited to stuff. So all my highlights involve that. Got to play for Reagan and Bush twice however best time was when I had a trumpet solo at the Orange Bowl parade. Got on national TV for about 10 seconds playing my solo on a float. Anyway that was cool.

Best time I had with a guitar was playing the solo to Cult of Personality. Since Vernon Reid hits about 8 notes in key on that, I would just play as fast as I could and try not to play in key. Just would go crazy and would only play a few parts like the original. Would end the solo with ascending two handed tapping lick a la Judgement Day that people would go "WTF" Everybody thought it was cool but it honestly I was just going goofing off. However got a lot of compliments.