Register
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Exclamation Professors threaten bad grades for saying illegal alien, male, female

Professors threaten bad grades for saying illegal alien, male, female

• Washington State students risk a failing grade in one course if they use any common descriptors professor considers oppressive and hateful language.
    • In another class, students will lose one point every time they use the words illegal alien or illegals rather than the preferred terms of undocumented migrants/immigrants/persons.

Multiple professors at Washington State University have explicitly told students their grades will suffer if they use terms such as illegal alien, "male," and female, or if they fail to defer to non-white students.

According to the syllabus for Selena Lester Breikss Women & Popular Culture class, students risk a failing grade if they use any common descriptors that Breikss considers oppressive and hateful language.

The punishment for repeatedly using the banned words, Breikss warns, includes but [is] not limited to removal from the class without attendance or participation points, failure of the assignment, and in extreme cases failure for the semester.

Breikss is not the only WSU faculty member implementing such policies.

Much like in Selena Breiksss classroom, students taking Professor Rebecca Fowlers Introduction to Comparative Ethnic Studies course will see their grades suffer if they use the term illegal alien in their assigned writing.

According to her syllabus, students will lose one point every time they use the words illegal alien or illegals rather than the preferred terms of undocumented migrants/immigrants/persons. Throughout the course, Fowler says, students will come to recognize how white privilege functions in everyday social structures and institutions.

In an email to Campus Reform, Fowler complained that the term illegal alien has permeated dominant discourses that circulate in the news to the extent that our society has come to associate ALL unauthorized border crossings with those immigrants originating from countries south of our border (and not with Asian immigrants, for example, many of whom are also in the country without legal documents and make up a considerable portion of undocumented immigrants living in the country).

The socio-legal production of migrant illegality works to systematically dehumanize and exploit these brown bodies for their labor, Fowler continued.

White students in Professor John Streamass Introduction to Multicultural Literature class, are expected to defer to non-white students, among other community guidelines, if they want to do well in this class.

In the guidelines in his syllabus, Streamas elaborates that he requires students to reflect on their grasp of history and social relations by respecting shy and quiet classmates and by deferring to the experiences of people of color.

Streamaswho previously generated controversy by calling a student a white shitbag and declared that WSU should stand for White Supremacist Universityalso demands that students understand and consider the rage of people who are victims of systematic injustice.

Later in the syllabus, Streamas goes even further and accuses Glenn Beck of being an insensitive white.

Several other WSU professors require their students to acknowledge that racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, and other institutionalized forms of oppression exist or that we do not live in a post-racial world.

Ari Cohn, a lawyer with the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, told Campus Reform he considers such requirements to be contradictory, even given the sensitive nature of the courses.

"It is notable that one of the syllabus provisions warns: The subject material of this class is sensitive and controversial. Strive to keep an open mind. How are students supposed to approach these sensitive and controversial materials at all, let alone to keep an open mind, if they have to fear that a misconstrued statement, or one that unreasonably offends a classmate will lead to a grade reduction or even removal from class?"

Neither Breikss nor Streamas replied to Campus Reforms request for comment.

Yet another school my child will not be applying to when the time comes....
    Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

damn, i love Canada more every day.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    You should!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I think someone might want to let these schools in on a little secret. America is a nation that just elected, and re-elected, a man of colour, is likely to elect a woman as president next. The highest paid athlete in America last year was a black man, the highest paid entertainer in America was a woman. They can calm down on the "acknowledge that racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, and other institutionalized forms of oppression exist" stuff. It exists, in smaller portions than it does in most of the world, and it always will. Having class rules like that don't help, actually it makes it worse.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Thumbs up

I think someone might want to let these schools in on a little secret. America is a nation that just elected, and re-elected, a man of colour, is likely to elect a woman as president next. The highest paid athlete in America last year was a black man, the highest paid entertainer in America was a woman. They can calm down on the "acknowledge that racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, and other institutionalized forms of oppression exist" stuff. It exists, in smaller portions than it does in most of the world, and it always will. Having class rules like that don't help, actually it makes it worse.
    Shhhhhhhh. Don't let the flaming liberal wackos in this country hear you, they may accuse you of making too much sense!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Beyond stupid. I would yank my kid out of that school immediately. Illegal Alien is not offensive slang, it is a factual description. And as to Mike's comment regarding a female president, Hillary won't make it. I'm calling it here. However if she does you are looking at America's next ex-pat.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Mike, I assume you know this but all this hyper-PC stuff that gets posted here and in the media are used to generate a certain amount of hysteria from the more rational segments of society which isnt a bad thing.

In practice of me living my life in a very liberal City is that this doesnt really play out in any meaningful way. College Campuses are known to be a havens for radicals, allowing them to play out their new world order crap. My solution is dont go to schools that encourage this crap. Further, there are currently about 20 million students enrolled in US universities how many professors would that require? Probably at least 100,000? So a small minority are nut bags big deal. Dont take crazy classes called Modern Multiculturalism in Post-Feminist Society and youll be ok.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

In the words of the great philosopher Phil Collins, "it's no fun being an illegal alien".
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    Mike, I assume you know this but all this hyper-PC stuff that gets posted here and in the media are used to generate a certain amount of hysteria from the more rational segments of society – which isn’t a bad thing.

In practice of me living my life in a very liberal City is that this doesn’t really play out in any meaningful way. College Campuses are known to be a havens for radicals, allowing them to play out their new world order crap. My solution is don’t go to schools that encourage this crap. Further, there are currently about 20 million students enrolled in US universities – how many professors would that require? Probably at least 100,000? So a small minority are nut bags – big deal. Don’t take crazy classes called “Modern Multiculturalism in Post-Feminist Society” and you’ll be ok.
    I appreciate that. I'm in the States a couple of times a year and haven't seen any of this sort of wacky stuff. But it's pretty amazing the kinds of people that are hired as profs.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

How about instead of "Illegal Alien" can they use the terms "Law Breaker" "Tax Evader" "Future Politician"
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

I appreciate that. I'm in the States a couple of times a year and haven't seen any of this sort of wacky stuff. But it's pretty amazing the kinds of people that are hired as profs.
    I lived in Ontario for 3 years and definitely felt that it was quite a bit more PC in the True North than down here.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I lived in Ontario for 3 years and definitely felt that it was quite a bit more PC in the True North than down here.
    what part of Ontario?

i really think it depends on where you are. We often make the mistake of referring to Canadian culture or American culture which is kind of silly. A guy in Alabama has a much different culture that a gal in NYC.

But in total, I think the PC issue gets a lot more publicity south of the border, I'm sure we have much of the same silliness they just don't send it the press. As a parent of 1 son and 2 daughters, I don't think the odds of them succeeding are any different due to their gender. One wants to be a teacher, one a cop and one a doctor. And all of those jobs can be had no matter your gender (just as it should be). I think the racism/sexism/hetereoism (whenever that became a word) is hugely overstated in our nations.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Mike, I assume you know this but all this hyper-PC stuff that gets posted here and in the media are used to generate a certain amount of hysteria from the more rational segments of society – which isn’t a bad thing.

In practice of me living my life in a very liberal City is that this doesn’t really play out in any meaningful way. College Campuses are known to be a havens for radicals, allowing them to play out their new world order crap. My solution is don’t go to schools that encourage this crap. Further, there are currently about 20 million students enrolled in US universities – how many professors would that require? Probably at least 100,000? So a small minority are nut bags – big deal. Don’t take crazy classes called “Modern Multiculturalism in Post-Feminist Society” and you’ll be ok.
    I agree that these don't necessarily reflect the views and policies of most college professors, but even the relatively small percentages can have a devastating effect. If this professor teaches for 10 years and teaches 50 kids a semester (my guess is the classes are much larger), you're looking at possibly 1,000 students being indoctrinated with this stuff. They go on to indoctrinate others and before you know it, you have an overly aggressive PC culture that makes everyone a victim--which is basically what we have today and it's only getting worse.

We also have to consider how many professors share these views but aren't as aggressive in implementing them. As with racism, sometimes it's the subtle forms of this behavior that is the most damaging.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

There was study I read about on Eugene Volokh's blog (law professor, UCLA) about how the more educated you are, the less likely you are to talk or interact with people who have different political opinions than you. I think this describes college campuses in a nutshell. Colleges campuses are turning into institutions of anti-freedom.

Let's start with free speech zones. Every time they are challenged they fall, but that doesn't stop colleges from picking only one spot where freedom of speech is allowed until they are challenged on it. Think about that. At public universities, free speech is only allowable in a defined geographical space and you usually have to apply to do something in that area.

Second, classrooms like these and even some universities as a whole are effectively banning certain words that are either 'hurtful' or might be a trigger. The student council at UC Irvine voted to ban the American flag from student council buildings because they should be "inclusive" buildings and the "paraphernalia of nationalism is in fact often used to intimidate." When George Washington University required student leaders to attend LGBT sensitivity training (to learn the proper, neutral pronouns), the GWU Young America's Foundation chapter refused. The LGBT campus group, Allied in in Pride, considered their refusal "an act of violence." While most of us find the racists chants of the students at University of Oklahoma repugnant, expelling them for racist speech is unconstitutional and courts have historically upheld that.

What happens when we start expelling students for not using a gender-neutral pronoun? Are we prepared to elevate speech to an act of violence against people? That is what is happening on campuses.

The University of Michigan spent $16,000 to warn students not to say words like "crazy" on campus. Rutgers encourages students to turn other students in who say something disparaging about another group, including mentioning any stereotypes. They want names, numbers, and home addresses. University of Colorado-Boulder has done the same. A professor at Harvard wrote an op/ed at the end of 2014 saying that some law professors are skipping teaching rape law entirely because of complaints of 'trigger' words used in teaching it. One professor was even told by a student that simply asking the question, 'Does this conduct violate the law?' was a trigger and therefore an act of violence against her because of the word 'violate.'

And that brings me to campus rape. Because of the bogus study on campus rape statistics, people are freaking out over sex on campus. A student at Occidental was expelled over sex because the girl in question had ingested some alcohol and her consent may not have been real consent. Further, he had been drinking as well--not that that made him a possible victim--no, he might have misunderstood her consent. He wasn't allowed to cross examine or bring witnesses, and campuses use the 'preponderance of evidence' standard, so as long as we are 50.00000001% sure you did it, you did it.

So California passed some laws. The big part of it is 'on going consent.' Seems reasonable. If a woman withdraws her consent at any time and you don't stop, it's rape. However, under CA law, on campus, she can revoke her consent at any time, but silence or lack of resistance cannot be understood to be on going consent. So if a girl on campus consents in CA, but decides halfway through she no longer consents, BUT she doesn't tell you and doesn't resist--you still raped her.

This stuff, though, isn't new on college campuses. Are we surprised that Bernie Sanders, an admitted 'Democratic-socialist,' is doing so well running for President in a party whose chairman cannot explain the difference between a Democrat and a socialist?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts