Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 6,827 Times in 3,569 Posts

Premium Member

Default Chrissie Hynde criticised over rape remarks

Chrissie Hynde criticised over rape remarks

Singer Chrissie Hynde has been criticised for saying it can be a woman’s fault if she is raped.

The Pretenders star, 63, said she blamed herself for being forced to perform sexual acts under the threat of violence.

She told the Sunday Times magazine that when she was 21 an Ohio motorcycle gang member promised to take her to a party but instead took her to an empty house, yet she claimed to take “full responsibility” for what happened.

She said: “Technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I take full responsibility. You can’t f*** about with people, especially people who wear ‘I Heart Rape’ and ‘On Your Knees’ badges ... those motorcycle gangs, that’s what they do.

“You can’t paint yourself into a corner and then say whose brush is this? You have to take responsibility. I mean, I was naive.”

When asked whether the gang took advantage of her vulnerability, she replied: “If you play with fire you get burnt. It’s not any secret, is it?”

Hynde went on to say that women who dress provocatively while walking down the street drunk were also to blame if they were attacked. “If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be?” she said.

“If I’m walking around and I’m very modestly dressed and I’m keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I’d say that’s his fault. But if I’m being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who’s already unhinged – don’t do that. Come on! That’s just common sense. You know, if you don’t want to entice a rapist, don’t wear high heels so you can’t run from him.

“If you’re wearing something that says ‘Come and f*** me’, you’d better be good on your feet ... I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial am I?”

Ths singer’s comments were condemned by the head of the charity Victim Support, who said victims should not blame themselves.

Lucy Hastings, the charity’s director, said: “Victims of sexual violence should never feel or be made to feel that they were responsible for the appalling crime they suffered – regardless of circumstances or factors which may have made them particularly vulnerable.

“They should not blame themselves or be blamed for failing to prevent an attack – often they will have been targeted by predatory offenders who are responsible for their actions.

“It is critical that nothing deters victims of sexual violence from coming forward to the police or to independent organisations so they can get the help and support they need.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I am willing to be she knows from experience
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I am willing to be she knows from experience
    Well, considering she admits that it's a pretty easy bet...

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:19 AM
    Liked 1,478 Times in 1,008 Posts

Premium Member

I think her opinion is shit. Rape is rarely (if ever) the victims fault. If men in 2015 can't show enough restraint to not rape women... We have a problem.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 6,678 Times in 3,703 Posts

She's not taking the blame away from the scumbag rapist, she's merely saying she put herself in a terrible position so she personally takes responsibility for that. Nothing wrong with what she said and it's a message that young women need to hear. It's important to not put yourself in dangerous situations. It doesn't mean nothing bad will ever happen but it certainly lowers the risk. Just like if you don't lock your care it doesnt mean someone isn't a criminal for stealing it but someone might say "I should have locked my damn car".

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:06 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

Nobody should rape anybody ever.

However one should try to minimize the chances of being raped. I mean nobody should be mugged. However if I am walking in the inner city puling out a wad of cash, I increase those chances.

Doesn't mean I should be mugged however I wasn't being responsible

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,616 Times in 3,994 Posts

Kinda shocked she made those comments, to be honest.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,616 Times in 3,994 Posts

To be cynical, she has a new book coming out so maybe it's a publicity move.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Kinda shocked she made those comments, to be honest.
    I'm kinda shocked anyone cares what she says.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 16,523 Times in 9,366 Posts

I can't believe Chrissie Hynde is 63 years old ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    Well, considering she admits that it's a pretty easy bet...
    Daaaamn guess next time I'll actually read it
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

I think a woman dressing sexy can in certain instances increase the odds of being raped. Depends on where you are and what time etc. The mental hospitals in the USA have scaled back on in patients for the last 35 years there are some very insane people out there plus the plain evil ones. Never invite trouble cause its out there.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 3,111 Times in 1,822 Posts

Premium Member

I have a friend who has become me and my wife's hypothetical opponent in an argument. In other words, she's a far leftist who teaches college English at my alma mater. She uses her English classroom to espouse her beliefs, that White men are all a part of rape culture, that cultural appropriations are offensive, that White privilege is real--all under the guise of having them write about it after discussing it. But if you don't agree with her or other students, you're told how you're wrong.

We love her to death, and there are things we agree on as a libertarian, but we disagree on a lot.

One of them is how to reduce the number of rapes. As far as she is concerned, the only way to do so that doesn't blame the victim--which makes you a part of rape culture--is to teach men not to rape.

Now, I have approached her on some subjects, and I don't want to get into a huge argument where ultimately I am told I am a part of rape culture, so I haven't approached her on this subject. But if I did, I would ask her why she locks her door at night, why she locks her car, or why she holds her 4-yr old closer around strange people.

Shouldn't we teach people not to burglarize? Shouldn't we teach people not to steal cars? Shouldn't we teach people not to kidnap? Why are you taking safeguards, then? Aren't you just part of 'Theft Culture?' 'Kidnap Culture?'

No one is saying women are at fault for getting raped. But we understand as a culture that a certain amount of people are going to do bad things and we just can't stop all of them. So you take reasonable steps to try and safeguard yourself. If you leave your car unlocked and leave your iPad within view, it sucks that it got stolen, and the person who stole it will go to jail, not you, but there is a reason we lock cars and don't leave valuables in view. It's taking reasonable precautions to prevent it.

I don't see rape any differently.

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:16 AM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    She's not taking the blame away from the scumbag rapist, she's merely saying she put herself in a terrible position so she personally takes responsibility for that. Nothing wrong with what she said and it's a message that young women need to hear. It's important to not put yourself in dangerous situations. It doesn't mean nothing bad will ever happen but it certainly lowers the risk. Just like if you don't lock your care it doesnt mean someone isn't a criminal for stealing it but someone might say "I should have locked my damn car".
    Some people might say that what she is saying goes against the womens rights view of what a rape is never the woman's fault, but I think she IS coming from a viewpoint of empowerment in that she is saying that women should be more self aware and more proactive about their safety. Like, it's OK not to get into a car with someone or go somewhere with someone if your gut says it's dicey. Don't worry about offending someone, take care of yourself first. She admits that she put herself in a situation where she was unsafe and so she takes responsibility for that. As for the part about dressing suggestively in public, she spoke about DRUNK women dressing provocatively and again, that goes to women needing to keep their senses about themselves. You CANNOT rely upon unknown others to look out for your safety and if you are abdicating your control of your safety by drinking to the point of not making good judgments, so be it.

people will take what she is saying the wrong way and of course she will soon have to make a public clarification/apology but I get what she is saying....take responsibility for your own safety, Doesn't mean you won't get raped, but it reduces the opportunities you are giving others to take advantage of you

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

I liken it to going for a hike in the woods during hunting season. If you don't wear orange and you get shot, some of that responsibility belongs to you...

24. The Following Member Likes This Post: