Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Smile Worst Job Experiences

I saw a post in another thread about how bad it was to work at McDonalds, so I thought it would be fun for us to share our war stories about crappy jobs and why we left them. I have a few:

- In college I worked at a grocery store for about 3 months. I signed up to stock shelves, but in the end I was doing carts in the middle of winter and using a toothbrush to clean drinking fountains.

- I helped my family plumbing company for a few summers in my youth for extra money. I would go out on jobs with plumbers for an extra pair of hands/muscle. One time I was helping with a stack replacement and the plumber was smacking the side of the old, rusted cast iron pipe with a mallet to break it up so we could take it out. He gave it a good whack and black sludge sprayed on his face. The message was clear: I wasn't going to be a plumber.

- When I graduated college we were headed into the recession and finding a job was difficult. I decided to take a job at a car dealership until I found what I was looking for. The first day I did training during the morning and hung out at the dealership at night. In the morning I got this giant manual that taught how this dealership sold cars. They specifically mentioned that the salesman should drive the first half of the test-drive in order to compensate for any issues with the car. That way when the customer takes over they will think it is them and not the car that's the issue. Yes...that was in writing

That night I hung out at the dealership. They asked to me test drive every car type on the lot (this was a Volkswagon/Nissan dealer). Half the cars didn't have enough gas to do the drive. Most didn't have windshield wipers (it was drizzling). Once I made the rounds I sat with the sales guys for the rest of the night and watched them ogle at a 14 year old girl and talk about how hot she was.

I quit the next day.

What are your stories?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

While in High School I worked at a grocery store stocking shelves among other things. Well, between the 8 kids working there stocking we all had to take turns cleaning the garbage compactor in the meat department. This required crawling through a 4 foot square chute about 6 feet long that dumped into a 4foot by 8 foot compactor and hosing it down. This was where all the fat and spoiled meat was thrown. Completely disgusting.

Another one was right after high school I worked at a convenience store third shift and was robbed at gunpoint twice in 1 week. There was another attempted robbery by a man with an axe but another customer scared him off.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

One of my first jobs(about 13) was during our fair in my hometown. I would help clean the restrooms at the end of the night. I went in to clean one of the toilets, and someone had taken a shit in the stall... right in front of the toilet. A big ol' pile of shit right in front of the toilet. Who in the fuck takes a shit right in front of the toilet??

I ran and told my mom( who also worked there) that someone pooped on the floor. She told me it was my job to clean it up. I told her "you're fuckin' high woman". No I didn't, but I said I'm not cleaning that up. She wasn't real happy with me, but I got one of the older gentleman who I worked with to clean it up.

This was after Mickey Gilley had played that night, so I blame country music. Probably why I still hate it to this day.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    One of my first jobs(about 13) was during our fair in my hometown. I would help clean the restrooms at the end of the night. I went in to clean one of the toilets, and someone had taken a shit in the stall... right in front of the toilet. A big ol' pile of shit right in front of the toilet. Who in the fuck takes a shit right in front of the toilet??

I ran and told my mom( who also worked there) that someone pooped on the floor. She told me it was my job to clean it up. I told her "you're fuckin' high woman". No I didn't, but I said I'm not cleaning that up. She wasn't real happy with me, but I got one of the older gentleman who I worked with to clean it up.

This was after Mickey Gilley had played that night, so I blame country music. Probably why I still hate it to this day.

I was laughing at my desk at that one.

Prior to my current job I worked at a staffing agency. I came across this note for a candidate once from a previous assignment:

"______ was released today for defecating in the middle of the men's bathroom on the second floor. He was given a warning for a similar incident in February, so we were forced to release him."
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:49 PM
    Liked 6,832 Times in 3,574 Posts

Premium Member

I worked in a screen printing place in high school where they started me out in the screen cleaning dept.

I spent my days loading and pulling dirty ink covered screens into a huge vat of some kind of hot turpentine solution. Scrubbing and rinsing them and then back to the vat if they needed.

I would get dizzy from the fumes and even though I wore protective gear the solution would drip into my long rubber gloves and stay there. I'd go home at night and my arms would be tingling from that shit. It was a miserable job but it got me out of school half a day.

Luckily I got let go after two weeks for working too slow I guess they said. That made way to a great job in a one hour photo lab (more chemicals)... to a job in a microfilm lab (even more chemical)... and so on.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

My McDonald's experience is in another thread, lol. My worst job though was in 1980...December, selling encyclopedia ' s door to door in Northern Alberta....

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

For 2 weeks (when I was 15) I was the guy who called people asking if they wanted a demo of a Kirby Vacuum cleaner. Most vile, depressing, boring job I've ever had.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I worked at a shop for 10 years, I was "skilled labor" so it paid decent and they paid for my schooling but the job itself was terrible. I worked there for just short of 10 years, when I started there we were in Troy, MI which is a very well to do part of the state but then they got a tax break on a building in Detroit. Terrible neighborhood, crack houses across the street. Packs of wild dogs would run through all the time (they were actually friendly dogs so that wasn't so bad but that give you an idea of how bad the neighborhood was). I kind of ran the place for a few months and agreed to come in at 5:30 and start up the air compressors and get an idea of the how things went the night before.

Bay doors shot up in the morning was not uncommon. Burnt out cars in the middle of the street? no big deal. I watched them strip out a Cadillac on a Saturday morning....they didn't know I was in the shop (we had barbed wire and a 12 foot fence around the place).

we had to hire a bunch of inner city folks too....that was a whole nother story.

Eventually since I was pretty vocal about the conditions they "punished" me by moving me to the main plant and putting me on a manual packing machine. what would happen is we would put these little bins on a conveyor belt, they would go under a hopper and measure out a certain weight then kick them to me, I had to seal the bin, put a sticker on them and manually stack them. My daily quota was 20,000 lbs a day.....20,000 lbs......I lasted 6 months then got hired by a tier one automotive supplier doing design work on interior plastics. Now I sit in front of a computer and play around all day so it all turned out ok.

I have about a million stories from the shop and before that I worked at a grocery store for 6 years so I have a bunch from there too....

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I worked in a drug testing lab for a large energy company. Literally collecting piss in a bottle 8 hrs a day.

Everybody needs to have a job they hate once just to inspire them to get educated so they can do something they enjoy and get paid for it.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

Worst job I had, I actually did for 2 years on summer break between college. Worked at an Awning and Fabric company who's back parking lot butted up against the guy in Cleveland who kidnapped the three girls for a decade. Castro. Lovely neighborhood even in the late 80's. In summer we would start at 6am because it was the busy season and that meant lots of inventory.

It was a dirty job. We would get international shipping crates full of plastic containers with an inch of dust. Or you get aluminum extrusion bundles which sometimes fall off a truck onto some guys foot which explodes like a watermelon. They also are covered in dirt. Better yet is unpacking skid after skid of 70lb boxes full of hardware, while on a forklift 20 feet high. No lanyard or safety gear. Just you on the top, bending over to pick up box after box while still buzzed from the previous night/morning.

So you do that for two hours and then its non stop packing shit up and shipping it out. Meanwhile in non air conditioned space. Oh yeah one year was 1988 and despite what Al Gore may say was the hottest fucking summer I can ever remember. I think we had a full month where it was over 90 every day. Was over 100 I think for a week straight. So you have this dirt and then you sweat. I looked like Al Jolson

The best part about the summer of 88 was that we were having a smoke break on one of the loading docks. So walking down the middle is a man with a knife to a young girls throat. Clutching her. Meanwhile an old woman is smacking him with a broom. Yelling "call the police" in a spanish accent. We are dumbfounded when the guy lets the girl go and runs up our loading dock. We sit there for a second and give chase. Through the warehouse. He goes around the corner and runs into the office portion. We chase him as he jumps through a glass door. We eventually caught up with him at a deli and subdued him till the cops came. Guess he was on PCP and saw the girl and said she was the devil.

Fun times.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post: