Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 11,793 Times in 6,537 Posts

Premium Member

Default ESPN SUSPENDS CURT SCHILLING FOR COMPARING ISLAMISTS TO NAZIS

FUCK ESPN!

On Tuesday, ESPN suspended former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling for tweeting a meme comparing radical Muslims to Nazis. Here was the offending tweet:

Schilling deleted the tweet after blowback. ESPN released a statement upon suspending Schilling:

Curt’s tweet was completely unacceptable, and in no way represents our company’s perspective. We made that point very strongly to Curt and have removed him from his current Little League assignment pending further consideration.

The tweet was offensive – to radical Muslims. Factually speaking, there were approximately 6.5 million formal members of the Nazi Party in 1940, out of a total German population of well over 80 million – a little over 8 percent. That number of members did not fully represent the level of support for the Nazi regime in Germany in 1940, of course.

The same is true in the radicalized Muslim community. A very small percentage of Muslims globally are formal members of terror groups; it is difficult to estimate precise numbers due to secrecy, although their total membership runs into the hundreds of thousands (the Iranian Revolutionary Guard alone has 120,000 members, and some estimates have placed the ISIS membership at above 200,00).

That terrorist membership is the tip of the iceberg: as I have written before, a huge percentage of worldwide Muslims are radicalized. If you calculate the number of Muslims globally who (1) believe that 9/11 was not committed by Muslims; (2) think that shariah law ought to be implemented; (3) support terrorist attacks; or (4) have a positive or neutral attitude toward ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah, Osama Bin Laden or any other terrorist group or terrorist, the number calculates out to well above 800 million radicalized Muslims.

PolitiFact’s ridiculous attempts to counter these calculations – cherry-picking their own, far narrower standard of radicalization — led them to the awkward position that 19 percent of Muslims in various countries, including the West, are radicalized (some 182 million Muslims worldwide).

As Schilling wrote, the math is staggering when you get to true numbers.

But ESPN has no interest in true numbers, because true numbers are awkward. Unsurprisingly, ESPN refused to explain why Schilling’s tweet was unacceptable. Is it because radicalized Muslims are somehow better than Germans who weren’t formal Nazi Party members? Is it because the genocidal Iranian regime or the barbarians of ISIS are somehow less objectionable than the Nazis themselves?

It is worth noting that Schiling did not say that all Muslims should be tarred with the terrorist brush, any more than all Germans should have been tarred with the Nazi brush. The point of his tweet, to anyone with a functioning prefrontal cortex, is obvious: a small, brutal percentage of a larger, partially supportive population can do tremendous harm. That’s inarguable.

Fortunately, ESPN doesn’t have to argue with Schilling or anyone else. They simply suspended Schilling, without any real rationale (by way of comparison, they did not suspend frequent ESPN guest Kevin Blackistone for calling the “Star-Spangled Banner” a “war anthem” on their airwaves). And the compliant media breath a sigh of relief, having made the world safer for those offended by tweets – and more ignorant of the threat of radical Islam.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...ists-to-nazis/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 1,488 Times in 1,017 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    FUCK ESPN!

On Tuesday, ESPN suspended former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling for tweeting a meme comparing radical Muslims to Nazis. Here was the offending tweet:

Schilling deleted the tweet after blowback. ESPN released a statement upon suspending Schilling:

Curt’s tweet was completely unacceptable, and in no way represents our company’s perspective. We made that point very strongly to Curt and have removed him from his current Little League assignment pending further consideration.

The tweet was offensive – to radical Muslims. Factually speaking, there were approximately 6.5 million formal members of the Nazi Party in 1940, out of a total German population of well over 80 million – a little over 8 percent. That number of members did not fully represent the level of support for the Nazi regime in Germany in 1940, of course.

The same is true in the radicalized Muslim community. A very small percentage of Muslims globally are formal members of terror groups; it is difficult to estimate precise numbers due to secrecy, although their total membership runs into the hundreds of thousands (the Iranian Revolutionary Guard alone has 120,000 members, and some estimates have placed the ISIS membership at above 200,00).

That terrorist membership is the tip of the iceberg: as I have written before, a huge percentage of worldwide Muslims are radicalized. If you calculate the number of Muslims globally who (1) believe that 9/11 was not committed by Muslims; (2) think that shariah law ought to be implemented; (3) support terrorist attacks; or (4) have a positive or neutral attitude toward ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah, Osama Bin Laden or any other terrorist group or terrorist, the number calculates out to well above 800 million radicalized Muslims.

PolitiFact’s ridiculous attempts to counter these calculations – cherry-picking their own, far narrower standard of radicalization — led them to the awkward position that 19 percent of Muslims in various countries, including the West, are radicalized (some 182 million Muslims worldwide).

As Schilling wrote, the math is staggering when you get to true numbers.

But ESPN has no interest in true numbers, because true numbers are awkward. Unsurprisingly, ESPN refused to explain why Schilling’s tweet was unacceptable. Is it because radicalized Muslims are somehow better than Germans who weren’t formal Nazi Party members? Is it because the genocidal Iranian regime or the barbarians of ISIS are somehow less objectionable than the Nazis themselves?

It is worth noting that Schiling did not say that all Muslims should be tarred with the terrorist brush, any more than all Germans should have been tarred with the Nazi brush. The point of his tweet, to anyone with a functioning prefrontal cortex, is obvious: a small, brutal percentage of a larger, partially supportive population can do tremendous harm. That’s inarguable.

Fortunately, ESPN doesn’t have to argue with Schilling or anyone else. They simply suspended Schilling, without any real rationale (by way of comparison, they did not suspend frequent ESPN guest Kevin Blackistone for calling the “Star-Spangled Banner” a “war anthem” on their airwaves). And the compliant media breath a sigh of relief, having made the world safer for those offended by tweets – and more ignorant of the threat of radical Islam.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...ists-to-nazis/
    ESPN can go suck a dick.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Piss on espn
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:16 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

He's a fucking dope thinking this wouldn't cause a problem. Disney owns espn. They need to remember this.

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Schilling is a blowhard turd.

Fuck ESPN too.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:47 AM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

I guess the truth hurts...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

You're working for a high profile company. You can't tweet subject matter like that. What a goof.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 7,645 Times in 4,017 Posts

I met Schilling when he did a book signing with us, years ago.
    I believe it was a book related to his kid who had autism or asperger's.

He was an incredibly cool dude, all around.
    You can tell a lot about them before they meet the public.

He doesn't strike me as one of those overtly PC kinda guys, he speaks
    what he feels.

Is Jerry Remy on Nesn or Espn?

I fucking cringe when i see that guy hosting the sox games on TV.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Last edited by fast98dodge; 08.26.15 at 01:18 AM.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

We live in a day in age where somebody is going to be offended by anything somebody says. Pretty sad if you ask me.
    On the other hand, yes we have freedom of speech but big companies aren't going to let things go quite easily without bringing the hammer down.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 2,391 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

ESPN does not exist to me anymore. The Orioles should have never traded Schilling. Roland Hemond was an asshole. BTW Curts right. The USA is in big trouble. Maybe I should vote for Trump.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    He's a fucking dope thinking this wouldn't cause a problem. Disney owns espn. They need to remember this.
    Yep.

And the "what happened to free speech" argument .......again, no one is saying he can't say it, he posted it, no one stopped him. But there's consequences just like anything else in life. And he knew it because after the fact he deleted it.

Use your head, you're a public figure, your job depends on things like your image and how you put it out there. Do your job, protect your brand or run your mouth and don't cry about it when you get fired.

It's not like this is the first time, when will these "celebs" learn?
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 08.26.15 at 06:08 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    We live in a day in age where somebody is going to be offended by anything somebody says. Pretty sad if you ask me.
    On the other hand, yes we have freedom of speech but big companies aren't going to let things go quite easily without bringing the hammer down.
    Fuck Everybody

Man Up Bitches
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,131 Posts

Premium Member

I get why people are saying "he should have known better," because in our overly-PC culture this is the standard reaction.

However, I think it's missing the larger point: what did he say that was offensive or inflammatory (in other words, what did he say that isn't true?). Does it strike anyone else as Orwellian to crack down on people simply pointing out the truth? Silencing those that are telling the truth is exactly how groups like ISIS react.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I get why people are saying "he should have known better," because in our overly-PC culture this is the standard reaction.

However, I think it's missing the larger point: what did he say that was offensive or inflammatory (in other words, what did he say that isn't true?). Does it strike anyone else as Orwellian to crack down on people simply pointing out the truth? Silencing those that are telling the truth is exactly how groups like ISIS react.
    He wasn't silenced. That's why he's in trouble He can keep on tweeting, but ESPN doesn't have to employ him either.

It doesn't matter if what he said is true or not (and I'm not saying that ESPN was right for doing what they did) but he has to be aware that there are consequences when a public figure makes public statements like this.

Is it fair? Of course not but life's not fair sometimes, you have to be smart enough to protect what's important to you. Maybe that job wasn't as important as getting that tweet out. (I'm guessing the job was more important since he pulled his comment after he got shit for it)