Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default The Hateful Eight--new film from Quentin Tarantino

    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,519
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 02:50 AM
    Likes
    569
    Liked 1,478 Times in 1,008 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Lackluster trailer.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Lackluster trailer.
    I kind of agree. I hope it's because they don't want to show too much in the trailer.
    Either way, I'm looking forward to a new QT movie.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #4
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    4,202
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Likes
    1,841
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

    Default

    Cool cast. Not crazy about it being set in the winter, but, might be cool.

  6. #5
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,968
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Likes
    813
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    To me, Tarantino films have become event films. I look forward to each one that comes out.

  7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  8. #6
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,619
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 01:16 AM
    Likes
    4,316
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    To me, Tarantino films have become event films. I look forward to each one that comes out.
    Me too.

    Tarantino and Star Wars. The only movies that will get my ass to a cinema.

    Want to see "Compton" though. I love old-school gangsta rap.

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  10. #7
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,968
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Likes
    813
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    No one else is making films like Quentin is making. And I might be in the minority, but I think Django Unchained was his best since Pulp Fiction. So he is still capable of bringing it. I've no idea whether this film does, but it was leaked, so then Tarantino wasn't going to do it, but then he embraced and then there was a live reading. So I am guessing it has to be at least entertaining if it has been so resilient.

    But in a world where movies are seemingly becoming more polarized--big budget, known-IP films and smaller, independent films--Tarantino films are that rare beast that are as hyped as the next Avengers, but there's a lot of meat on the bone.

  11. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,519
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 02:50 AM
    Likes
    569
    Liked 1,478 Times in 1,008 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I turned Unchained off right Jonah Hill showed up. QT I think is suffering without his editor now. I just got tired of that movie so quickly.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  12. #9
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,968
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Likes
    813
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    I turned Unchained off right Jonah Hill showed up. QT I think is suffering without his editor now. I just got tired of that movie so quickly.
    That's one of the funniest scenes in the film, where the KKK members get in a spat about their sheets.

    I don't know, I mean Death Proof is not a great film, and it's only 1:53, while Reservoir Dogs is a tight 1:39. Meanwhile, Pulp Fiction sits at 2:34, but the Kill Bill films are also less than two hours, and I wouldn't say they are any better for being shorter (despite some scenes being filmed where I live).

    I think it's true that the fewer dissenting voices around you, the more likely you are to run off the rails, but Quentin's giant vision is part of the charm of his films. An editor would want to chop up the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds, but that is pure Tarantino.

    I think he has learned from mistakes though. I recently saw this from NME. "'Robert Rodriguez and I had gotten used to going our own way, on these weird roads, and having the audience come along. We'd started thinking they'd go wherever we wanted. With Grindhouse, that proved not to be the case. It was still worth doing, but it would have been better if we weren't caught so unaware by how uninterested people were,'" he explained.

    Tarantino has since bounced back with 2009's Inglourious Basterds and 2012's Django Unchained, the highest-grossing movies of his career."
    (http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/qu...ught-hi/385964)

    Adjusting for inflation, Pulp, Inglorious, and Django are by far his top-grossing films. It seems like Death Proof/Grindhouse taught him a lesson and the people have appreciated it.

  13. #10
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,519
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 02:50 AM
    Likes
    569
    Liked 1,478 Times in 1,008 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    That's one of the funniest scenes in the film, where the KKK members get in a spat about their sheets.

    I don't know, I mean Death Proof is not a great film, and it's only 1:53, while Reservoir Dogs is a tight 1:39. Meanwhile, Pulp Fiction sits at 2:34, but the Kill Bill films are also less than two hours, and I wouldn't say they are any better for being shorter (despite some scenes being filmed where I live).

    I think it's true that the fewer dissenting voices around you, the more likely you are to run off the rails, but Quentin's giant vision is part of the charm of his films. An editor would want to chop up the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds, but that is pure Tarantino.

    I think he has learned from mistakes though. I recently saw this from NME. "'Robert Rodriguez and I had gotten used to going our own way, on these weird roads, and having the audience come along. We'd started thinking they'd go wherever we wanted. With Grindhouse, that proved not to be the case. It was still worth doing, but it would have been better if we weren't caught so unaware by how uninterested people were,'" he explained.

    Tarantino has since bounced back with 2009's Inglourious Basterds and 2012's Django Unchained, the highest-grossing movies of his career."
    (http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/qu...ught-hi/385964)

    Adjusting for inflation, Pulp, Inglorious, and Django are by far his top-grossing films. It seems like Death Proof/Grindhouse taught him a lesson and the people have appreciated it.
    I didn't think that was funny at all. It's not like that scene alone is what made me turn the movie off, but I wasn't enjoying the movie at all up to that point. That's just my personal feelings.

    IB is ok, but the dialogue is simply not as sharp or as fresh as it used to be. The intro is great, and it does have strong points... But it's not a great film.

    QT's first three movies are his best ones... Nothing after that feels as fresh in my opinion. His films now just seem far too self-indulgent.

    As for box office take... I'm not sure how much that matters in the long run. I mean, Prince of Thieves was the 2nd highest grossing movie of 1991 and people don't care about it now.

    I have no idea why RR or QT would think that Grindhouse movies would make a lot of money. I always figured that they made them as little side projects basically. They should have known better than to expect those to make a lot of money.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 08.25.15 at 03:21 AM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  14. #11
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I know I'm in the minority, but QT was a one and done for me. Pulp Fiction is a classic, but I can't think of another QT movie that I liked.


    Unchained got shut off for me pretty quick too. I think I made it a little past the Jonah scene, but yeah, it was pretty unwatchable IMO.

  15. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,519
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 02:50 AM
    Likes
    569
    Liked 1,478 Times in 1,008 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but QT was a one and done for me. Pulp Fiction is a classic, but I can't think of another QT movie that I liked.


    Unchained got shut off for me pretty quick too. I think I made it a little past the Jonah scene, but yeah, it was pretty unwatchable IMO.
    Pulp Fiction is a good movie, but it's so damn juvenile. Especially the pawn shop scenes. I didn't care for The Boxer story all that much either.

    Jackie Brown is my favorite. I actually cared about the fate of some of the characters. So many of QT's movies are mostly about "cool" characters even if they don't have that much depth, or the "depth" to the characters is just superficial. Meaning the characters are supposed to come off as deep, but it's really just QT wanting his dialogue to sound cool.

    I mean, I understand that not everything has to be deep... But I find that even his best movies fall short of being masterpieces.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  16. #13
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    12,969
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Likes
    2,600
    Liked 4,797 Times in 2,448 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I still enjoy QT movies but I have to say that his first three or four (counting True Romance) were the best. Something changed after Jackie Brown where he went from one level of violence to this comic book type. Don't get me wrong about being squeamish or being a downer. Just saying that the violence in his first movies was justified or humorous in a way (like the black kid getting shot by Travolta) Not cartoonish. I know he is paying homage to Japanese movies or Spaghetti Westerns but something has gotten lost.

    Thank God he found Christopher Walz because he made two movies. Don't come off like I hate QT or think he is done. Still brilliant but I believe he would be best served if he did edit some of his action scenes a bit.

    I am looking forward to this movie simply because Jennifer Jason Leigh is in it and I have had a crush on her since 83 or whenever I saw Fast Times.

  17. #14
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    I didn't think that was funny at all. It's not like that scene alone is what made me turn the movie off, but I wasn't enjoying the movie at all up to that point. That's just my personal feelings.

    IB is ok, but the dialogue is simply not as sharp or as fresh as it used to be. The intro is great, and it does have strong points... But it's not a great film.

    QT's first three movies are his best ones... Nothing after that feels as fresh in my opinion. His films now just seem far too self-indulgent.

    As for box office take... I'm not sure how much that matters in the long run. I mean, Prince of Thieves was the 2nd highest grossing movie of 1991 and people don't care about it now.

    I have no idea why RR or QT would think that Grindhouse movies would make a lot of money. I always figured that they made them as little side projects basically. They should have known better than to expect those to make a lot of money.

    I stopped reading your post after you said IB wasnt a great film. Dont even know how anybody can say that, tbh.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  18. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  19. #15
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,519
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 02:50 AM
    Likes
    569
    Liked 1,478 Times in 1,008 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I still enjoy QT movies but I have to say that his first three or four (counting True Romance) were the best. Something changed after Jackie Brown where he went from one level of violence to this comic book type. Don't get me wrong about being squeamish or being a downer. Just saying that the violence in his first movies was justified or humorous in a way (like the black kid getting shot by Travolta) Not cartoonish. I know he is paying homage to Japanese movies or Spaghetti Westerns but something has gotten lost.

    Thank God he found Christopher Walz because he made two movies. Don't come off like I hate QT or think he is done. Still brilliant but I believe he would be best served if he did edit some of his action scenes a bit.

    I am looking forward to this movie simply because Jennifer Jason Leigh is in it and I have had a crush on her since 83 or whenever I saw Fast Times.
    Same for me about JJL... The first time I saw boobs!
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. MSNBC Analyst: 'Hateful language' will 'kill' the 'crazy crackers on the right'
    By bklynboy68 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01.30.13, 11:43 AM
  2. Check Out the Sight & Sound Top 10 Lists from Quentin Tarantino, Edgar Wright, Martin
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08.26.12, 01:37 AM
  3. Tarantino's new flick
    By graeme in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10.20.09, 10:57 PM
  4. Where The F**k Is Quentin Tarantino?
    By theodore templeman in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01.25.02, 10:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •