Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 6,854 Times in 3,590 Posts

Premium Member

Default Good Luck Trying To Sneak Food Into Movie Theaters Ever Again

A Major Movie Theater Chain Has Started Mandating Bag Checks

There's no easy way to talk about the traumatic instances of violence that have occurred in movie theaters over the past two years. Even more difficult is the discussion of how theater chains should react to these events and the security measures that are required to prevent such tragedies from ever happening again. While some chains have implemented limited screening efforts, Regal Cinemas has become the first chain to mandate bag checks – and with recent audience surveys trending towards more security being needed at theaters, it's probably about time everyone else started following suit.

Variety broke the news that the Tennessee-headquartered theater chain would be checking the bags of their patrons as a result of recent events. These measures are assumed to be enacted on a chain wide scale, as opposed to chains like AMC that were using heightened security measures in specific location. In fact, Regal Cinemas has made the following amendment to their admission policies:

Security issues have become a daily part of our lives in America. Regal Entertainment Group wants our customers and staff to feel comfortable and safe when visiting or working in our theatres. To ensure the safety of our guests and employees, backpacks and bags of any kind are subject to inspection prior to admission. We acknowledge that this procedure can cause some inconvenience and that it is not without flaws, but hope these are minor in comparison to increased safety.
    It should be noted that while this wording has been added to Regal Theaters' official admittance procedures, it isn't listed as being a mandatory action to be executed upon entry. While you can bet that Regal will be using this verbiage to execute bag checks for the next couple of months or so, there's no language in the new regulations stating that this needs to continue happening after Regal and cinema audiences are comfortable with going to the movies again.

This sort of solution gives temporary comfort to the ticket-purchasing public, but ultimately, it does little to solve the overall problem. While Regal Cinemas have given themselves the authorization to check bags and personal belongings upon entry, not only does this not implement a permanent protocol for screening audiences, but it limits the checking procedures to personal items, and not the audience members themselves. At the time, there is no ultimate solution that theater chains and security experts can agree upon to make theaters at least seem safer for the time being. There seems, however, to be an agreement that safer viewing experiences are indeed a priority with audiences.

This is obviously not the last we've heard about the situation, especially considering most other major theater chains had no comment when asked about their security measures and any upgrades that may have occurred. With patrons ready to put out a couple more dollars per showing to ensure their safety, it's only a matter of time before Regal Cinemas' actions start to inspire an industry wide revision of security procedures and policies. At least, if the competition is smart, they'll start to move in that direction.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Major...cks-78287.html
    Last edited by Number 47; 08.20.15 at 08:41 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Great, no more sneaking my hibachi into the theaters.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

people that shoot up movie theatres aren't hiding a handgun in their wife's purse.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    people that shoot up movie theatres aren't hiding a handgun in their wife's purse.
    Yup, and little old ladies and 4 year olds aren't strapping explosives to their bodies to blow up planes. It's never stopped those in authority from over stepping their boundaries.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I don't really need another reason NOT to go to a theatre. Haven't been to one in years.

Not sure what good this will do. Imagine how backed up the lines will be. THey already were annoying from just buying and teraring the damn tickets.,

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Yup, and little old ladies and 4 year olds aren't strapping explosives to their bodies to blow up planes. It's never stopped those in authority from over stepping their boundaries.
    yup. I remember going to Vegas with my parents, siblings, wife and mother in law a few years back. My mother in law had a European passport so she got extra questioning. They had her take fingerprints, did some sort of eye scan, etc. We were there for a good 10 minutes and I'm thinking to myself "is a 65 year old Italian woman travelling with her family any threat to this aircraft?"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    With patrons ready to put out a couple more dollars per showing to ensure their safety, it's only a matter of time before Regal Cinemas' actions start to inspire an industry wide revision of security procedures and policies. At least, if the competition is smart, they'll start to move in that direction.
    wait...what? Where is this clamour of patrons shouting "it's okay to raise your expensive ticket prices even higher if it means we won't get shot"?

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

If movie theaters get their own governing body like the TSA is at airports, Tom Hanks is fixing to be a poor muthafucker. I'm done with movie theaters.

Actually, 2 points. Tom isn't getting ready to be poor and, Amazon Prime, Netflix and the such keep me in the loop of all things movies. AND....since my home is my personal movie theater, popcorn is a tad cheaper, and I can sit on my couch with my own gun and chill. It's a win, win situation for me and Tom Hanks. And, you know what else isn't a problem??? Hibachi fucking grills! Cook that shit up and enjoy your show.

HH<-----Actually I wonder if movie theaters aren't far behind from suffering the same fate as their Drive In movie theater cousins.---------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

11. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,244 Times in 1,133 Posts

Premium Member

I figured this might be coming after I saw the reports of the second shooting this year. My question is: do we really think this is going to stop anything? If you're a guy wanting to shoot a gun, can't you just tuck it into your pants like everyone else that does conceal and carry? Maybe you strap it to your ankle.

Oh...but the bombs.

I guess they've never seen people strap bombs to themselves like every terrorist does in every action movie ever made. You would think in the business they are in that they would be a little more familiar with that plot line.

Are we going through metal detectors and getting pat downs as well? Otherwise this is pointless.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

As long as we are placated by security theater in other areas, businesses think this will make movie goers feel better. It actually makes me feel worse.

Apparently, a man with a gun was arrested not long ago in the esplanade between Disney California Adventure and Disneyland. I am there a lot with my family, and usually with my nieces and nephew, 11, 6, and 4. Scares me to death that someone could just shoot up Disneyland. But I am sure people have been caught with a gun there before and will again. In this most recent case, rumors (which I am not sure I believe) say that the man started hearing his dead father and grandfather while on the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and then felt compelled to start shooting people as they gathered for fireworks. Makes you wonder how many near-mass shootings are stopped before they start.

Anyway, Disneyland Resort has a bag check line. As Mike said, people who are going to shoot up places aren't going to put the gun in their wife's purse. But the bag check line serves two purposes. 1) It lets cast members tell people that they have something not allowed in the park (like a selfie stick), and 2) it makes people feel safer.

I'm guessing this serves two purposes for the theater. It cuts down on outside concessions. That's a biggie, btw, because movie theaters basically don't get any cut of the ticket price during the first week or two of release. Then as the stays out, theaters get a progressively larger cut of the ticket price. So concessions are an important part of their business. Second, it makes patrons feel more secure.

We'll see what it does to attendance.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

Disney California Adventure and Disneyland. I am there a lot with my family, and usually with my nieces and nephew

You win the lotto or something?

HH<-----Ready for the country to go back to the western days of Justice-----------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post

You win the lotto or something?

HH<-----Ready for the country to go back to the western days of Justice-----------------------
    No, we've just decided that instead of a big Christmas, we all put money together and buy annual passes and that is our Christmas gift to each other. I also don't go to many movies and don't eat out a whole lot, so that is sort of our regular family entertainment. We go about twice a month, and each pass is $37.50 a month. Add the $99 down payment and divide it by 12, I basically pay $23 twice a month to go the park. But again, it replaces Christmas and other entertainment.

That wasn't really my point though. It's that people get nervous going to movie theaters if they go a lot, and that arrest makes me think twice about Disney.

However, I am logical, and I realize I am much more likely to die on the way to the movies or wherever than actually being there. I'd also imagine this is lawyer-based. Now that a couple theaters have been shot up, someone could sue after a future incident alleging the theater didn't do enough to prevent it.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 08.20.15 at 11:57 AM.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

As long as we are placated by security theater in other areas, businesses think this will make movie goers feel better. It actually makes me feel worse.

Apparently, a man with a gun was arrested not long ago in the esplanade between Disney California Adventure and Disneyland. I am there a lot with my family, and usually with my nieces and nephew, 11, 6, and 4. Scares me to death that someone could just shoot up Disneyland. But I am sure people have been caught with a gun there before and will again. In this most recent case, rumors (which I am not sure I believe) say that the man started hearing his dead father and grandfather while on the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and then felt compelled to start shooting people as they gathered for fireworks. Makes you wonder how many near-mass shootings are stopped before they start.

Anyway, Disneyland Resort has a bag check line. As Mike said, people who are going to shoot up places aren't going to put the gun in their wife's purse. But the bag check line serves two purposes. 1) It lets cast members tell people that they have something not allowed in the park (like a selfie stick), and 2) it makes people feel safer.

I'm guessing this serves two purposes for the theater. It cuts down on outside concessions. That's a biggie, btw, because movie theaters basically don't get any cut of the ticket price during the first week or two of release. Then as the stays out, theaters get a progressively larger cut of the ticket price. So concessions are an important part of their business. Second, it makes patrons feel more secure.

We'll see what it does to attendance.
    The thing is i'm fine with checking bags, i just wish they'd be honest about what it accomplishes. Are they gonna get the odd idiot with a weapon? Sure. But that's not the guy who was planning on shooting up the place, he's just a guy who (1) forgot the rule against the weapon (2) didn't know at all, or (3) figured they weren't checking. I'm not that concerned with that guy. More than anything, like you said, it catches people bringing other stuff. And I'll gladly wait a couple of extra minutes to keep selfie sticks out of the park.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    The thing is i'm fine with checking bags, i just wish they'd be honest about what it accomplishes. Are they gonna get the odd idiot with a weapon? Sure. But that's not the guy who was planning on shooting up the place, he's just a guy who (1) forgot the rule against the weapon (2) didn't know at all, or (3) figured they weren't checking. I'm not that concerned with that guy. More than anything, like you said, it catches people bringing other stuff. And I'll gladly wait a couple of extra minutes to keep selfie sticks out of the park.
    I agree, and like I said in another post, I think there is a lawyer aspect here. If another theater is shot up, at this point someone could sue saying, 'hey, you guys knew this was a thing and you did nothing to protect people.'

So it's a positive probably in all directions for them. And I don't care if they want to do a cursory check. It's their business and I have a choice not to patronize them.

That said, when the line backs up, an express lane would be nice for people without bags. I know that probably defeats the purpose, but nothing more annoying than being in a long bag check line when you don't have any bags and just walk right past the checkers when it is your turn.

EDIT* When I say that it makes me feel worse, I mean that I don't think about a theater getting shot up for the most part. I would think about it every time in the bag check line.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I agree, and like I said in another post, I think there is a lawyer aspect here. If another theater is shot up, at this point someone could sue saying, 'hey, you guys knew this was a thing and you did nothing to protect people.'

So it's a positive probably in all directions for them. And I don't care if they want to do a cursory check. It's their business and I have a choice not to patronize them.

That said, when the line backs up, an express lane would be nice for people without bags. I know that probably defeats the purpose, but nothing more annoying than being in a long bag check line when you don't have any bags and just walk right past the checkers when it is your turn.

EDIT* When I say that it makes me feel worse, I mean that I don't think about a theater getting shot up for the most part. I would think about it every time in the bag check line.
    personally i think they'd be better off having one armed security guy at the theatres than checking bags. Or have a volunteer program (always amazed the NRA isn't all over this stuff) at public venues with gun owners who are willing to do security checks.