Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

Default Matisyahu Ejected from Music Festival Because He Won’t Endorse a Palestinian State

Reggae star Matisyahu, a Jewish-American, was ejected from an upcoming music festival in Spain following his refusal to endorse Palestinian statehood, Spanish and Israeli media reported Sunday.

Organizers of the Rototom Sunsplash Reggae Festival said they canceled Matisyahu’s show — originally scheduled for next week — after he rejected their demand to issue either a written or video statement supporting “the Palestinians’ right to a state,” the Times of Israel reported.

The Spanish newspaper El Pais reported that Matisyahu was given an ultimatum — if he would “sign such a declaration” endorsing a Palestinian state, he would be allowed to perform.

The decision came following pressure on festival organizers from the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement which encourages a full academic, economic and artistic boycott of the Jewish state.

Anti-Israel activists welcomed the festival’s decision, but some observers online expressed alarm that only the Jewish artist, who is not Israeli, was ejected over his perceived political opinions.

El Pais referred to the artist as a “Hebrew” singer rather than Jewish American.

The organizers’ decision is all the more ironic considering one of Matisyahu’s most famous songs, “One Day” is a peace anthem that prays for harmony and an end to war.

“I’ve been praying for, for the people to say, ‘That we don’t wanna fight no more, There will be no more wars, And our children will play,’” Matisyahu sings in the song released in 2009.

“Stop with the violence, Down with the hate,” Matisyahu’s lyrics say.

Organizers of the festival posted a message on Facebook Saturday explaining that the move was based on “the festival’s sensitivity to Palestine, its people and the occupation of its territory by Israel,” according to the Times of Israel’s translation.

When Matisyahu began to climb to fame, he was a Hassidic Jew and would perform with a full beard and sidelocks, and his head was covered in the Jewish tradition.

In 2011, the artist posted a photo of himself online with no facial hair and later appeared in public with no head covering, suggesting he had abandoned some of the stricter rules of Jewish observance.

Israel’s Arutz Sheva noted that Matisyahu continues to maintain a strong sense of his Jewish identity, and he has previously performed in Israel.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...stinian-state/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Good for him
    Fuck Palestine---fuck them all
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Fuck him...

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Spain is a shit hole. I mean they burned Jews at the stake during the inquisition and now the jihad muslims are taking over just like in most of Europe so much for One Love One Heart Lets Get Together And Feel Alright. I guess he's also off the Rodger Waters/ David Gilmore fan club Christmas card list.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I thought Europe was so open and progressive? Persecuting others for their political beliefs seems a little dated, doesn't it? I can't imagine something like that flying in the US.

Can you imagine if some country music festival asked all of its artists to make an "All Lives Matter" video and made that a condition of playing?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I thought Europe was so open and progressive? Persecuting others for their political beliefs seems a little dated, doesn't it? I can't imagine something like that flying in the US.

Can you imagine if some country music festival asked all of its artists to make an "All Lives Matter" video and made that a condition of playing?
    See Dixie Chicks
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

For a country with a 23% unemployment rate, seems just about right to make sure anyone who would have worked on or worked at the show would not be employed the night he performed--over a stupid reason.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    See Dixie Chicks
    Tough to use them as an example. What killed them for good was their own attacks on their fan base.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    See Dixie Chicks
    I think there's a difference between torpedoing your career by pissing off your fan base with political statements and denying someone the ability to perform due to a political issue.

There's also a difference between asking someone not to perform because of a firestorm of controversy around their actions or words (like Chris Brown after hitting his gf or Sinead O'Connor after SNL) and going out of one's way to give a litmus test to see if someone is worthy of performing.

It just seems a little backwards.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

not quite sure what one's stance on Palestine has to do with a reggae music festival.

Last Online

Premium Member

The festival is also has more than political overtones. Allegedly their website has a 2.5 hour video on pro-Palestinian activists.

I didn't see that, but I did find this beginning of a mission statement, "Promoting peace, equality, human rights and social justice has been a constant for us since our beginnings as a festival, in 1994. In addition to promoting a variety of music, throughout our history we have placed particular emphasis on the promotion of the values which make it possible for a society to advance in the most just and fair way possible . . . " (http://www.rototomsunsplash.com/en/i...ture-of-peace/)

Apparently because he is Jewish--though not Israeli; he's American--the festival felt he represented Jews and Israel and wanted him to denounce their actions and promote a Palestinian state to perform, as part of their conscience.

Note that the festival doesn't promote freedom. I am guessing this has as much to do with him being a Jewish American as it does with him being Jewish.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The festival is also has more than political overtones. Allegedly their website has a 2.5 hour video on pro-Palestinian activists.

I didn't see that, but I did find this beginning of a mission statement, "Promoting peace, equality, human rights and social justice has been a constant for us since our beginnings as a festival, in 1994. In addition to promoting a variety of music, throughout our history we have placed particular emphasis on the promotion of the values which make it possible for a society to advance in the most just and fair way possible . . . " (http://www.rototomsunsplash.com/en/i...ture-of-peace/)

Apparently because he is Jewish--though not Israeli; he's American--the festival felt he represented Jews and Israel and wanted him to denounce their actions and promote a Palestinian state to perform, as part of their conscience.

Note that the festival doesn't promote freedom. I am guessing this has as much to do with him being a Jewish American as it does with him being Jewish.
    There's a lot of anti-Jewish feeling that is hidden in this pro-palestine movement. Amazing of all the conflicts in the world, this is the one they pick. No issue with young girls being sold as sex slaves in Iraq right now, no one needs to denounce those actions apparently.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Agreed. People have their issues and that's the way it goes.

Thing is, I really like Rage Against the Machine. Not a big fan of the politics, but I can get past that. There are things I wouldn't be able to get past, like anti-Black songs are something, but for the most part, who cares what some rap artist's feelings are about the middle east? I dont' even care what sandwich he would recommend, much less what his thoughts on foreign policies are.

I confront people all the time about the economic impact of what climate change activists would want if they didn't have opposition. I tell them that the worst models show a few hundred thousand people might die each year directly due to climate change, but the increased cost of energy and disallowing other nations to industrialize will continue to kill tens of millions of people each year due to poverty.

I might as well be telling them that I'm dedicating my life to the teachings of Xenu, the dictator of the Galactic Confederacy, for as much sense as they think I am making.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

Default Matisyahu Ejected from Music Festival Because He Won’t Endorse a Palestinian ...

I wish these pro-Palestinian people would just say they hate Jews instead of hiding their prejudice behind this bullshit cause. Like anyone gives a fuck if Palestine is a state besides Palestinians. A piece of shit desert nobody wanted until it was called Israel. "Oh the Jews are here. Oh wait, we want it!"
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I wish these pro-Palestinian people would just say they hate Jews instead of hiding their prejudice behind this bullshit cause. Like anyone gives a fuck if Palestine is a state besides Palestinians. A piece of shit desert nobody wanted until it was called Israel. "Oh the Jews are here. Oh wait, we want it!"
    sadly i think threre's far too much truth to this.