Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 11,750 Times in 6,508 Posts

Premium Member

Default VINNIE PAUL Recalls Meeting EDDIE VAN HALEN For First Time

On August 2, former PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN and current HELLYEAH drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott took part in a question-and-answer session at the DFW Acura Performance Showroom in Dallas, Texas. You can now watch video footage of the chat below.

Speaking about the bands that inspired him to become a drummer, Vinnie Paul said: "VAN HALEN [was] a huge influence on me. Eddie and Alex [Van Halen] inspired me and my brother [late PANTERA and DAMAGEPLAN guitarist 'Dimebag' Darrell Abbott] so much. It was really just unbelievable the parallels that we had between ourselves.

"I remember the first time I met Eddie," Vinnie Paul continued. "He was in town and I was off doing something and my brother was in Phoenix. And my manager at the Clubhouse [strip club in Dallas co-owned by Vinnie] calls me and says, 'Hey, man, Eddie Van Halen is in the club. He wants to see you.' And I was, like, 'You've gotta be kidding me! He's in there?' [And he says] 'Yeah.' I hauled ass over, walked into the club, and he's sitting there at the table by himself waiting on me. I came in, and we gave each other a big hug. After about… I don't know… We'd been talking maybe ten minutes, and he goes, 'You know, man?! It's crazy. We've only been talking, like, ten minutes, but it's unbelievable how much we've got in common — you and your brother, and me and Al.' And it was an amazing thing that happened. And then [DAMAGEPLAN] had to fly out and play this thing called Locobazooka in Boston [in 2004], and [VAN HALEN] had some shows [coming up], and [Eddie] wanted us to come and see him. And Eddie sent a limo to pick us up, which was very cool. And we came in, and he brought us right up on stage and hung out at soundcheck and everything. And the show was amazing. And I'll never forget. We got on the plane, and when we were flying back to Dallas, my brother looked at me, and he goes, 'Man, you know what? If this plane was to go down in a crash right now, I'd be okay with it. I finally got to meet the dude that made me wanna play guitar.' It was really special."

In a lasting sign of deep respect, Eddie Van Halen donated the black-and-yellow tape-striped guitar pictured on the back cover of "Van Halen II" to be buried with Dimebag.

Darrell's life partner, Rita Haney, spoke with Billboard about Eddie's gift to her longtime companion. She said: "I remember talking with Vinnie, trying to decide what guitar to bury him [Dimebag]. Three hours later, Eddie called to see if he could do anything for us and for Dime. We'd met him just a few weeks earlier for the first time, and Dime was ready to cut him a $30,000 check that night for one of his striped guitars, but Eddie told him he'd do one special for him. So I asked him if he'd stripe up a guitar for Darrell. He said, 'One of the red-white-and-black ones?' And I said, 'No — Darrell always said that the yellow and black was your toughest guitar!'

"When he came for the funeral, he brought his original yellow and black from 1979. He said, 'An original should have an original.'

"We were walking down the hallway of the funeral parlor, me, Eddie and John 'Bushman', who had been out with DAMAGEPLAN as a tech — he's the one who dragged Vinnie off the drum stand [the night Dimebag was murdered] and threw himself on top of him to protect him. We got to the room where Dime was, and you could see [Abbott's] feet through the doorway. Eddie said, 'I can't go in there, I can't see him like that — I want to remember him like he was that night I met him.' I said, 'That's okay, Eddie — we'll take it to him,' so John and I went in and placed it with him."

In an interview with Metal Monthly, Rita explained further: "We had just seen VAN HALEN in Midland, Texas, a few weeks earlier, and that was the first time Dime ever got to meet Eddie. They hung out before and after the show. Dime even got to play Eddie's rig at soundcheck. He was like a kid in a candy store — the way his eyes were lit up. He told me later in the limo — which Van Halen provided — 'How cool is that? Anyway, he leaned over and looked me right in the eyes and said, 'If I died tonight, it wouldn't matter, 'cause I've done everything now, I've met Eddie Van Halen!' and he had the biggest smile on his face… he was so happy!

"When Ed came in at the viewing, he had the guitar, but it wasn't the guitar we expected… he told Vinnie and I that 'Dime was an original and only an original deserves the original!' He popped open the case and there it was… his original '79 still with the rusted set of strings on it! It was so amazing!!! I took it in to Dime and I said, 'See, baby, you didn't get a replica! You got THE one,' and I gave him a kiss on the forehead and placed it in there with him… Ed was awesome and I thank him still!"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/vin...pQ7xWWmJSc3.99
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:01 AM
    Liked 544 Times in 277 Posts

Cool story and nice of Ed to do that. I always loved that black and yellow guitar too!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

I've often wondered about that... There are some VERY disturbed fanatics out there. The shooting of Dime is one of many examples. Val mentioned it in her book, about how Eddie carried a gun for protection. How secure is Abbott's grave? I'm sure it's not out of the realm of possibility that a deranged "fan" might want to get his hands on the original Bee guitar...

Twisted, but possible?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

I've thought about that too, might not even be a fan that guitar is worth a lot of $$.
    Either way, very cool of Eddie to do.

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    and he goes, 'You know, man?! It's crazy. We've only been talking, like, ten minutes, but it's unbelievable how much we've got in common — you and your brother, and me and Al.'
    wonder if dimebag started on drums and Vinnie on guitar...

6. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Great gesture, of course.
    The thing I didn't get were the reports of Ed acting like a loud drunk at the viewing/funeral. What was that about?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts

Donor

nice gesture, but man so wish that guitar was around today ... Image starting the current tour opening with that slung over his shoulder ... place would go off the charts NUTS! ...

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Great gesture, of course.
    The thing I didn't get were the reports of Ed acting like a loud drunk at the viewing/funeral. What was that about?
    There was a memorial public ceremony where Ed appeared and said some words. He wasn't loud but this was back when he was really fucked up so it was pretty awkward.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 2,229 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

I apologize for being so blunt, but I don't care how much someone wants a guitar, there's no way in hell I would ever touch a guitar that's been in a casket with a rotting corpse.

As for the story, I'm glad that Dime and Vinnie had a great time meeting Eddie. Those were dark times for Ed for sure. It's a shame Dime didn't have a chance to meet and watch Eddie as he is now. As great as it was then, it would be even better now.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:21 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I've often wondered about that... There are some VERY disturbed fanatics out there. The shooting of Dime is one of many examples. Val mentioned it in her book, about how Eddie carried a gun for protection. How secure is Abbott's grave? I'm sure it's not out of the realm of possibility that a deranged "fan" might want to get his hands on the original Bee guitar...

Twisted, but possible?
    LOL! Twisted indeed but I agree possible. I think it would be hard to sell though...would kind of give away the fact that you dug up a grave to get it. Pretty sure that is illegal. Even if you sold it on the black market (really black in this case) most people who buy expensive collectibles do it so they can show off the item. This would have to be one that no one ever knew about. The only person digging this thing up is someone that wants the guitar for themselves. Creeeeeepy!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

If I can remember correctly, Eddie made a speech or something at the funeral muttering "there is no God" with other ramblings. I am sure he was Looned out of his mind with some other substances. Granted he had that Billboard interview but man it seems so long ago when Eddie was on everybody's death pool

Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    If I can remember correctly, Eddie made a speech or something at the funeral muttering "there is no God" with other ramblings. I am sure he was Looned out of his mind with some other substances. Granted he had that Billboard interview but man it seems so long ago when Eddie was on everybody's death pool
    Yeah I don't think he would have parted with that guitar if he'd been sober. I feel bad that the Dimebag guy got killed and all, but put a guitar worth that much in his fucking casket? It wasn't like Ed even knew him for long either.

Sorry, never cared for Dimebag's playing nor the cookiemonster metal shit.
    We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,618 Times in 3,995 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
    Yeah I don't think he would have parted with that guitar if he'd been sober. I feel bad that the Dimebag guy got killed and all, but put a guitar worth that much in his fucking casket? It wasn't like Ed even knew him for long either.

Sorry, never cared for Dimebag's playing nor the cookiemonster metal shit.
    I agree that Edward would have never done that in a sober state.

It pains me to look at pictures of that beautiful Bee, my fave axe from VHII & beyond, and
    picture it in a coffin with a decomposing corpse.

I still hope that Ed was just talking out his ass, and threw in a replica or something.
    Didn't he have two Bee's back then?
    One for the Sabbath tour, first album, then another built for VHII?
    I remember someone posting pictures of him with one in '78 in the U.K.
    Maybe it was the same guitar with different necks.

It's just so weird that, a guy who doesn't listen to current music, much less hardcore
    metal, suddenly shows up at Pantera's strip-club & demands to meet the drummer.

What initiated that?

Was he drawn to their drinking habits & felt a kindred spirit?

I never understood Ed's sudden devotion to Pantera, enough to bury his legendary
    axe with the fallen band member.
    I could see if it was Dweezil Zappa, or someone he knew long term and had
    a relationship with.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 10,856 Times in 5,712 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Yeah, he was pretty loaded. There's video of him standing up there with Zakk Wylde taking shots of something. I was actually disappointed to see it because I hadn't been keeping up with VH much at that time and that was when I discovered he was drinking again.

You know, it was a "fan" that shot Dime because he was pissed that he wouldn't get Pantera back together again. Some of the stuff I read on here and the anger and vitriol directed at Ed makes me wonder if some other nutcase would attempt the same thing. Not saying anyone here obviously, but it seems to me that there are plenty of Van Halen "fans" that don't like the way Ed has operated the band and all it takes is one deranged nut to get close enough and pull the trigger. Ask John Lennon. Fortunately for Ed he's not playing in small clubs like Dime was when he was murdered, but when people were talking about stage jumpers and security being a little late to get them off the stage early in the tour you can't help but wonder "what if?"
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 10,856 Times in 5,712 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I agree that Edward would have never done that in a sober state.

It pains me to look at pictures of that beautiful Bee, my fave axe from VHII & beyond, and
    picture it in a coffin with a decomposing corpse.

I still hope that Ed was just talking out his ass, and threw in a replica or something.
    Didn't he have two Bee's back then?
    One for the Sabbath tour, first album, then another built for VHII?
    I remember someone posting pictures of him with one in '78 in the U.K.
    Maybe it was the same guitar with different necks.

It's just so weird that, a guy who doesn't listen to current music, much less hardcore
    metal, suddenly shows up at Pantera's strip-club & demands to meet the drummer.

What initiated that?

Was he drawn to their drinking habits & felt a kindred spirit?

I never understood Ed's sudden devotion to Pantera, enough to bury his legendary
    axe with the fallen band member.

I could see if it was Dweezil Zappa, or someone he knew long term and had
    a relationship with.
    Maybe it was the fact that the drummer and guitar player were brothers making Pantera similar to Van Halen in that respect.

I don't get why people give a shit what Ed chose to do with a guitar he owned. He wasn't going to give it to you and he probably never played anymore and wasn't going to again so why are people suddenly wishing that he had kept it?

Not singling you out Jape - you're like the third person that's mentioned it.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: