Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 777 Times in 312 Posts

Default Obama Hopes To Seize Momentum For Criminal Justice Reform

President Obama's perhaps most notable statement on race came recently in Charleston, S.C. That's where he gave the eulogy for nine African-Americans killed by a white man in a church.

The president has also continued to address the killings of black men at the hands of the police, and he's pushing to reduce the number of prison inmates, who are disproportionately black.

Some of his supporters feel the president finally found his voice. But in an interview with NPR, Obama says many of the issues he's now getting attention for, like criminal justice reform, are ones he's been working on all along.

"I think that one of the things I've learned about being president is that we'll work on issues for long periods of time, sometimes in obscurity," he says.

And though he had strong words for Republicans in Washington for their opposition to the Iran deal, he says criminal justice reform is one area where he envisions bipartisan support. "I mean, there are some sincere efforts on the part of some Republicans in Congress to deal with the problems of mandatory minimums in sentencing and rehabilitation," he tells Morning Edition host Steve Inskeep. "I think that, wherever I see an opportunity these days, with only 18 months to go, I intend to seize it."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 01:11 AM
    Liked 2,124 Times in 1,260 Posts

I am all for criminal justice reform. But I doubt he gets much Republican support. Maybe I am just jaded. Seems to me with how many non-violent people we imprison for long periods of time, reforming what we do is a must. But politics these days seems to be about what team you play for.

In the debate banter between Christie and Rand Paul, I suspect most conservatives agree with Christie, that in order to keep us 'safe' from outside threats, the indiscriminate spying on all Americans must continue. The second amendment means much more than the fourth, for whatever reason.

Similarly, I see conservatives (and some who lean left) on the side of, 'don't do the crime if you can't do the time,' and relatively opposed to having a discussion on whether or not the time is excessive, much less if it should really be a crime at all.

Case in point. Eric Garner, NY, and loosie cigarettes. The right's attitude seems to be that he resisted, so his fate was in his own hands. John Stewart, hero of the left, had his own version, that Garner could have been out there with "a mix tape or a squeegee or a snow cone and the same shit could have happened."

Stewart's take was in response to Rand Paul pointing out what should be the obvious thing. Cigarettes have been taxed in NY to the point that it has created a black market, and part of that black market is people buying a pack and selling one cigarette for $0.75-1.00. That is also illegal in NY, and a big wig in the department, prior to Garner's death, did tell his officers to start cracking down on those selling "loosie" cigarettes.

The right doesn't want to reassess the law. No matter what the law, don't resist, don't die. The left can't admit that there are unintended consequences to regulations and taxes, so they don't want to reassess the law either, as Stewart points out.

So when it comes to criminal justice reform, what exactly are we talking about? Because if laws that disproportionately and negatively affect the poor and therefore minorities aren't part of the conversation, it's a toothless one.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 02:11 AM
    Liked 3,915 Times in 2,301 Posts

i'm with you LM. Throwing people in jail for non violent crime is rarely a good idea, the cost exceeds the benefit to society in many cases. The Eric Garners of the world don't belong in prison. Cops shouldn't have to waste their time on some idiot selling single cigarettes.