Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Default Guitarists that Surprised you

Okay, after reading the replies on the over rated guitarists thread it made me think of this. Who were you completely surprised by after seeing or hearing them live. In other words guitarists that you may have heard of but never really gave a second thought of until something caught your ear. I'm sure the people that some of us name others will be like "yeah duh" but maybe this will also open up the opportunity to for us to be exposed to another guitarist that we may not have given a second thought to. Since I started it I'll go first.

Joe Bonamassa - I had previously heard of him but it wasn't until he joined Black Country Communion that I started to pay attention. Unfortunately that band broke up before I could see them live but in 2012 I had a chance to sit front row at one of his solo shows and was blown away. This man has it all, technical, feel and speed. The solo spot he had in the middle of the show blew me away, dare I say more than mister EVH. After that show I went to his website and bought every CD he had, I think 15 in all.

Richie Kotzen - Another guitarist I had heard of back when he was in Poison for a stint. I never liked Poison or Mr. Big so again I never gave him a second thought. That was until The Winery Dogs. All I can say after seeing him play was wow. The fact that he doesn't use a pic at all when he plays impressed me. I know that may sound stupid but as a crappy guitarist that really impressed me!

Those are the first 2 that came to mind.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

There's a few. The first one that jumps to my mind is Buddy Guy. I assumed he'd be a good blues player. He had a great huge tone! He played the guitar with his teeth. He whipped the strings with his cord. He played with the guitar on his shoulders behind his back. Yes this is all for show. But he played great too! I'm a jaded guitar player. I don't impress easy. This guy was impressive to say the least. Monster blues/rock player. And that's what his style really is. Rock/blues. As I'm watching all this I remember an interview I read from him in the '80s. Interviewer asked him if his then teenaged son knew how influential and how great a player he is. He said no. The kid doesn't care. But when his friends come to the house they ask him to play Hendrix stuff all the time. And Hendrix said he stole everything he knows from Buddy. It's true. The early 2000s Buddy Guy I saw was like watching Hendrix. With a jheri curl. All the licks, tone, and showmanship was there. Oh the tone! Such a great rock tone!

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    There's a few. The first one that jumps to my mind is Buddy Guy. I assumed he'd be a good blues player. He had a great huge tone! He played the guitar with his teeth. He whipped the strings with his cord. He played with the guitar on his shoulders behind his back. Yes this is all for show. But he played great too! I'm a jaded guitar player. I don't impress easy. This guy was impressive to say the least. Monster blues/rock player. And that's what his style really is. Rock/blues. As I'm watching all this I remember an interview I read from him in the '80s. Interviewer asked him if his then teenaged son knew how influential and how great a player he is. He said no. The kid doesn't care. But when his friends come to the house they ask him to play Hendrix stuff all the time. And Hendrix said he stole everything he knows from Buddy. It's true. The early 2000s Buddy Guy I saw was like watching Hendrix. With a jheri curl. All the licks, tone, and showmanship was there. Oh the tone! Such a great rock tone!
    I totally agree. I first saw Buddy Guy in 1998 with Jonny Lang. That was a hell of a night of Blues guitar.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Yeah Ritchie Kotzen can't be judged by his stint in Poison, haha. One who "surprised" me about twenty years ago was Eric Johnson. Even though I really liked him and knew he was impressive technically, seeing him from 10 feet away was a whole different story! Him and Steve Morse were two of my highlights as far as seeing a real master live and up close.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Default Guitarists that Surprised you

Zakk Wylde

I never listened to a ton of Ozzy but I knew he was a solid player.

But really never knew he could shred and solo as well as he can until seeing YouTube clips of him hanging out or doing lesson type vids.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 1,126 Times in 617 Posts

Joe Bonamassa.

Heard he was the second coming, had a listen wasn't impressed at all. Was checking out some guitar clips on You Tube and saw clips down the right hand side of the screen. One was Joe and Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall and he blew me away. Watched some more and loved what I heard. The guys is badass and his love for British blues is loud and clear. I love how he mixes things up with non-blues scales and his technique is sublime.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 08.11.15 at 09:03 AM.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Andy James. Still don't know much about him. Guitar teacher type? But I just know when I saw some of his videos I was blown away by his playing...so he surprised me in that sense ;-) He also has some nice Van Halen lessons on Youtube.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Jude Gold on the B3 tour
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 10,831 Times in 5,695 Posts

Premium Member

That's about what I remember when I saw him. He was fantastic, and in a way that a rock guy like me could really appreciate.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 1,126 Times in 617 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    Andy James. Still don't know much about him. Guitar teacher type?
    Naw, Andy doesn't know much theory at all. Whenever he discusses theory he has to get the info off someone else first. Monster player, though. Check out his quick licks series - he absolutely nails Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci, Bettencourt, Gilbert etc.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Buddy's still bringing it! Saw him last year, still tearing it up.

My choice <flame suit on> would be John Mayer. I only knew him from the girlie songs and was forced to watch his live DVD which I thought was great. Been a fan ever since, if you think he just rips off SRV you are ill-informed. The dude can flat out play.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:27 AM
    Liked 1,036 Times in 521 Posts

If you like The Winery Dogs, check out Kotzen's solo stuff, particularly Into The Black and Peace Sign, those albums are huge. He's one of those multi-instrumentalist, super talented people like Prince.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Neil Zaza
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:39 PM
    Liked 627 Times in 310 Posts

Kenny Wayne Shepherd really blew me away when I saw him.
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Marc Ford...didn't know a thing about the Black Crowes past She Talks to Angels, Remedy, and that southern fried cover tune of theirs....and that Hustler photo on that one album...didn't know the lead guitarist had changed by their second albums

Didn't listen to them until they reunited in 2005 or so....
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"