Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default In Zimbabwe, We Donít Cry for Lions

Americans Outraged Over Killing of Cecil the Lion Handed Harsh Dose of Reality by Doctoral Student Who Knows a Thing or Two About Wildlife in Zimbabwe

Aug. 5, 2015

Goodwell Nzou can claim a number of critical statuses that most Americans — even almost au naturale thespians in PETA ads — cannot.

First off, he’s from Zimbabwe.

Second, he’s a doctoral student in molecular and cellular biosciences at Wake Forest University.

Third, he knows all about lions — and not the kind you see on YouTube or even at the zoo.

Nzou’s Wednesday op-ed in the New York Times is turning some heads — and perhaps generating just a little bit of cognitive dissonance — because he’s decidedly unsympathetic toward those outraged at Cecil the Lion’s demise. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/05...html?referrer=

In fact, when Nzou heard the news about Cecil, he said “the village boy inside me instinctively cheered: One lion fewer to menace families like mine.”

Did all those Americans signing petitions understand that lions actually kill people? That all the talk about Cecil being “beloved” or a “local favorite” was media hype? Did Jimmy Kimmel choke up because Cecil was murdered or because he confused him with Simba from “The Lion King”?

In my village in Zimbabwe, surrounded by wildlife conservation areas, no lion has ever been beloved, or granted an affectionate nickname. They are objects of terror.

Nzou went on to tell how a prowling lion made life hell for him and his family, how one injured his uncle in an attack, how the predator “sucked the life out of the village: No one socialized by fires at night; no one dared stroll over to a neighbor’s homestead.”

He also couldn’t believe Cecil’s killer has been painted as a villain, which amounted to “the starkest cultural contradiction I’d experienced during my five years studying in the United States.”

Recalling the point at which the lion that menaced his loved ones finally was killed, Nzou didn’t hold back. “[N]o one cared whether its murderer was a local person or a white trophy hunter, whether it was poached or killed legally,” Nzou wrote. “We danced and sang about the vanquishing of the fearsome beast and our escape from serious harm.”

Protesters place signs on the doors of Dr. Walter Palmer's River Bluff Dental Clinic to call attention to the alleged poaching of Cecil the lion on July 29, 2015 in Bloomington, Minnesota. (Image source: Adam Bettcher/Getty Images)
    Protesters place signs on the doors of Dr. Walter Palmer’s River Bluff Dental Clinic to call attention to the alleged poaching of Cecil the lion on July 29, 2015 in Bloomington, Minn. (Adam Bettcher/Getty Images)
    He backed up his point of view by explaining from personal experience the damage that dangerous creatures in his country can dole out: Nzou lost his right leg from a snakebite when he was 11.

And while he acknowledged wild animals garner near-mystical significance from Zimbabweans, it’s never kept his people from hunting them or letting others do so. Not that it matters to Americans who habitually “jump onto a hashtag train” and transform what’s a normal — and necessary part of life — into an “absurdist circus,” he wrote.

Nzou concluded his devastating column in this way

We Zimbabweans are left shaking our heads, wondering why Americans care more about African animals than about African people.

Don’t tell us what to do with our animals when you allowed your own mountain lions to be hunted to near extinction in the eastern United States. Don’t bemoan the clear-cutting of our forests when you turned yours into concrete jungles.

And please, don’t offer me condolences about Cecil unless you’re also willing to offer me condolences for villagers killed or left hungry by his brethren, by political violence, or by hunger.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...e-in-zimbabwe/
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

I'd imagine this dude really knows what the fuck he's talking about. No! I mean REALLY knows what the fuck he's talking about. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I am in synch with what this Goodwell Nzou is saying. Too many people here in the states are all in an uproar over taking the life of a lion, yet no one seems to care about the human beings I hear about being murdered and raped on the news on a daily basis. Lions kill people over there. I live in the suburbs and around a month ago there were reports of black bears roaming at night looking for food. There was security camera footage of one strolling on someone's front lawn a few blocks from my house. My daughter and I sometimes ride bikes on the sidewalk or street there in the early evening or even after dark. One of the black bears was photographed sitting beside someone's pool during the day in plain sight. Thankfully they seemed to make their way out of this area on their own. But heaven forbid if someone had shot one of them protecting their family. There would have been a social media campaign to run the person out of town!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

I'm not a fan of people like Walter Palmer killing lions for sport. That said, I don't understand the amount of protest that he has faced because of what he did. Guy who kills lion for kicks isn't really high on my list of villains in this world. More of a rich douchebag than a villian. Much worse human beings to be concerened with in my opinion.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

......Obummer cries for homosexuals !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:18 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Nzou went on to tell how a prowling lion made life hell for him and his family, how one injured his uncle in an attack, how the predator “sucked the life out of the village: No one socialized by fires at night; no one dared stroll over to a neighbor’s homestead.”
    Where's Ted Nugent when you need him?

What, there's no 2nd Amendment in Zimbabwe? You have a lion problem, you deal with it. Take care of business.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

This is one of those things, right? A million African children die each year from Malaria, but you can go an entire year without hearing anything about that. Roughly 120,000 Mexicans have died as a direct result of the drug war, as cartels have taken over large areas of Mexico, but anything other than increasing the war is a non-starter.

One trophy killing of a lion, and Americans come unglued.

What's interesting is that trophy killings can actually be good for endangered species. The problem is that Walter Palmer didn't pay enough money, and he paid it to the wrong people, who in turn had him kill the wrong lion. If you take Palmer at his word, he thought he was on a legal hunt, though it's hard to believe a dude who already has a felony conviction over a bear hunt.

But trophy hunts can be legal and good. In 2014, an American paid $350,000 to kill a critically endangered Black Rhino. The reason that hunt was a good one is that the $350k goes to fight poaching--the types of kills Palmer was on--and older males of an endangered species can actually suppress breeding. They are past breeding age and they are territorial, so they prevent younger males from breeding with females. Getting rid of them helps the species population grow.

If America wanted to actually help, we wouldn't shame trophy hunters simply for what they do. We would make it easier for them to make sure they do it the right way.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:18 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    This is one of those things, right? A million African children die each year from Malaria, but you can go an entire year without hearing anything about that. Roughly 120,000 Mexicans have died as a direct result of the drug war, as cartels have taken over large areas of Mexico, but anything other than increasing the war is a non-starter.

One trophy killing of a lion, and Americans come unglued.

What's interesting is that trophy killings can actually be good for endangered species. The problem is that Walter Palmer didn't pay enough money, and he paid it to the wrong people, who in turn had him kill the wrong lion. If you take Palmer at his word, he thought he was on a legal hunt, though it's hard to believe a dude who already has a felony conviction over a bear hunt.

But trophy hunts can be legal and good. In 2014, an American paid $350,000 to kill a critically endangered Black Rhino. The reason that hunt was a good one is that the $350k goes to fight poaching--the types of kills Palmer was on--and older males of an endangered species can actually suppress breeding. They are past breeding age and they are territorial, so they prevent younger males from breeding with females. Getting rid of them helps the species population grow.

If America wanted to actually help, we wouldn't shame trophy hunters simply for what they do. We would make it easier for them to make sure they do it the right way.
    I agree that some animals need to be killed to help the species, but I would question the money involved. Like everywhere else, there's so much corruption that many times the money doesn't go where it should.

Personally, I don't think hunting Lions, Elephants, Rhinos....is a good thing. They say 600 lions a year get hunted in Africa. These animals aren't exactly thriving. Yeah, killing off the sick and old is needed, but this is just overkill. It's a business now like everything else.

I feel the same way about the sharks. Asian countries killing 100 million sharks a year for fins needs to end.

I do agree this guy shouldn't be crucified the way he has been. Anymore than any other big game hunter, anyway. Unfortunately, with this internet age it's easy for everyone to jump on, whatever, bandwagon. Lots of decent people are ruined every year because of it.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 7,610 Times in 3,989 Posts

These same people insisting on that dentist's execution, are the one's that get mauled
    to death while attempting to photograph these animals from the open window of a car.

He didn't hunt & kill a giant stuffed animal.

I'm not a hunter, i have nothing against animals, but sometimes we lose perspective
    amidst the outrage.

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

My issue is the way this guy hunts. No matter what animals and in which country. Show respect for the animal and with as little suffering as possible...and use all of the animal to meet human needs...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

16. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    These same people insisting on that dentist's execution, are the one's that get mauled
    to death while attempting to photograph these animals from the open window of a car.

He didn't hunt & kill a giant stuffed animal.

I'm not a hunter, i have nothing against animals, but sometimes we lose perspective
    amidst the outrage.

Yeah, you just have hundreds of millions people reacting instantly without even thinking. On every subject imaginable. It's like the medieval times...."off with his head".
    I'm just glad I didn't grow up now, with all this nonsense. Being a kid, or young person, having to comment on everything, being bullied by fellow students online....screw that.
    I'm glad it was all about sex, drugs and rock n roll.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    My issue is the way this guy hunts. No matter what animals and in which country. Show respect for the animal and with as little suffering as possible...and use all of the animal to meet human needs...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it kills me watching them cut the fin off sharks and just dumping the body back in.

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    I agree that some animals need to be killed to help the species, but I would question the money involved. Like everywhere else, there's so much corruption that many times the money doesn't go where it should.

Personally, I don't think hunting Lions, Elephants, Rhinos....is a good thing. They say 600 lions a year get hunted in Africa. These animals aren't exactly thriving. Yeah, killing off the sick and old is needed, but this is just overkill. It's a business now like everything else.

I feel the same way about the sharks. Asian countries killing 100 million sharks a year for fins needs to end.

I do agree this guy shouldn't be crucified the way he has been. Anymore than any other big game hunter, anyway. Unfortunately, with this internet age it's easy for everyone to jump on, whatever, bandwagon. Lots of decent people are ruined every year because of it.
    Poaching is a problem, but so is habitat destruction. But what keeps animals alive is ownership and allowing them to be a marketable commodity. The tragedy of the commons will keep these animals endangered or kill them off entirely. What actually pays under law in these countries is to plow up the land and invest in agriculture, which destroys habitats.

So, for example, if a country, take Kenya, for example, wants to have roaming wildlife, they would be better off allowing private ownership of those animals and to make sure that an income can be made by doing so. Complicated laws regarding endangered species don't allow for this.

Example: In 1900, there were only 200 bison left in the US after a high of 30 million. They were hunted until they were nearly extinct. A few ranchers gathered what was left, claimed ownership, and profited off of them. They sold them for their meat, they sold them to circuses, they sold them to preservers, etc. Today, 500,000 bison roam the US, and nearly 100% are privately owned.

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 7,610 Times in 3,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Yeah, you just have hundreds of millions people reacting instantly without even thinking. On every subject imaginable. It's like the medieval times...."off with his head".
    I'm just glad I didn't grow up now, with all this nonsense. Being a kid, or young person, having to comment on everything, being bullied by fellow students online....screw that.
    I'm glad it was all about sex, drugs and rock n roll.
    I know!

I'm tired of generally good people making a slip on FB, then suddenly there's
    a group that complains & the person gets fired or something.

I never imagined such an overly politically correct world, back when i was a kid.
    I'm of German heritage, my parents both retained their accents, and my friends
    called me a Nazi.

And i laughed about it!

There was none of this: I find your comments really offensive & i will create
    a petition in town which will shame & correct you.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post: