Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Default I don't get it.

I've read a lot of reviews about the current tour. Why is it that when someone gives a bad review from a news outlet (mainly because of Dave's voice) the reviewer all of a sudden has no credibility or they're just rehashing what others have said about him or they don't get it? Yet, when there's a positive review, suddenly you're all experts on the matter. Did you ever think that they actually heard Dave live and agreed with a lot of people that he isn't what he used to be. I love Dave but what he's trying to do vocally live just isn't working anymore.

Instead of naming a thread Reviews for whatever show it should be renamed Positive Reviews Only. Ridiculous.....
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 11,750 Times in 6,508 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp72 View Post
    I've read a lot of reviews about the current tour. Why is it that when someone gives a bad review from a news outlet (mainly because of Dave's voice) the reviewer all of a sudden has no credibility or they're just rehashing what others have said about him or they don't get it? Yet, when there's a positive review, suddenly you're all experts on the matter. Did you ever think that they actually heard Dave live and agreed with a lot of people that he isn't what he used to be. I love Dave but what he's trying to do vocally live just isn't working anymore.

Instead of naming a thread Reviews for whatever show it should be renamed Positive Reviews Only. Ridiculous.....
    Well, when you have tons of video on this site that shows exactly how he sounds, along with reviews from people who were there and said it was awesome, any pro review that says otherwise is going to get bashed as having no credibility.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

Are you seriously telling me you think his voice is good live right now? I know he didn't sing this stuff to perfection when he was in his prime either, but come on. This sounds nothing like he was back then.
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 11,750 Times in 6,508 Posts

Premium Member

Are you seriously telling me you think his voice is good live right now? I know he didn't sing this stuff to perfection when he was in his prime either, but come on. This sounds nothing like he was back then.
    Because he's 60 and he will never sound as good as he did in his prime. If you don't like it , you don't have to participate.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

Brett, change the name of the website to onlypositivethoughtsvhlinks.com.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 16,527 Times in 9,367 Posts

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Who ever would have thought back in 1983 that when the band was 60 years old they would sound as good as they do now... or even that they would still be playing? Or alive for that mater. Seriously... we're pretty lucky to get this tour warts, age and all....

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

there've only been 3-4 harsh reviews. at least 2 of them were from clear non-van halen fans just ripping. Journalists doing their job, writing about a band they don't like probably.

The Cleveland review seemed somewhat fair. Mostly they don't have to aim their words with such venom. And also consider all 60-yo rocks stars age

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 1,944 Times in 914 Posts

Premium Member

The reason is that he's singing better now than he did in 2012. Most of the reviewers did not see them in 2007 or 2012. So to review a concert as a professional without using context is not credible in my opinion. It would be like reviewing Rocky 7 and complaining that Stallone looks too old to box, regardless of the fact that he looks better than he did in 5 or 6 when those complaints were the norm.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.14.16 @ 08:39 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

you said it....not so many years ago whodathunk Ed and Dave could be within 100 feet of each other much less touring and appearing (at least) to be having a blast. My takeaway so far is that Eddie is really playing well and how he has really paid attention to all the details of the songs...kicking on the flanger or phaser in the same spots as the album...stuff like that. The VH3 are playing amazingly well...I can kinda tune Dave out to listen to them play together.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 11,557 Times in 4,925 Posts

Default I don't get it.

We all know Dave isn't going to magically become 30 again so dwelling on his vocal struggles at times just isn't worth an argument. You either accept it or you don't. I don't know what there is to get mad about either way. People seem to be loving the shows even with the vocal inconsistency. If his vocal struggles are a big deal to you, don't go. It's that simple.

Frankly I could care less about professional reviewers positive or negative. I haven't read even one. The only reviews that matter to me are the ones written by real fans who attended shows on places like this.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    We all know Dave isn't going to magically become 30 again so dwelling on his vocal struggles at times just isn't worth an argument. You either accept it or you don't. I don't know what there is to get mad about either way. People seem to be loving the shows even with the vocal inconsistency. If his vocal struggles are a big deal to you, don't go. It's that simple.

Frankly I could care less about professional reviewers positive or negative. I haven't read even one. The only reviews that matter to me are the ones written by real fans who attended shows on places like this.
    This
    21 years old and dad has thrown him the keys to the car!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

I was harsh on Dave in my review of last nights show and people probably think I am a graver. That said the choruses are fine. So when you need to hear the part which made you love VH, well its still there because Wolf and Eddie are doing a great job. Dave gets out of the way so you can sing along and no hear that weird squeaking sound coming from the Griswolds Christmas Tree

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 10,854 Times in 5,711 Posts

Premium Member

I can only speak to the show I went to, but to my ears he sounded about 60-70% good, 10-20% okay, and 10% bad.

The problem is that some people act like every word and note that comes out of his mouth is horrible and that's not true. It also seems to be only Dave that gets this criticism.

I'm sorry, but John doesn't sound like he used to either. Does he get the same vocal criticism?

How about Vince Neal?

Or Sam?

To expect any of these guys to sing like they did in their 20s or 30s in ridiculous IMO. Yet is seems that only Dave is held to this standard.

I think that's why some people get a little angry with the reviews, because they're unreasonable, and they're holding Dave to a standard that they don't hold others to.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 6,680 Times in 3,704 Posts

the word fan is short for fanatic. Many fans of the band take criticism personally, this is not abnormal behaviour.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: