Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Romeo Delight DRxJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.11.08
    Location
    Southwest Michigan
    Posts
    44
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Humans Being
    Last Online

    11.14.15 @ 03:30 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts

    Default My Kick Ass Van Halen Best of Both Worlds Playlist (with commentary)

    So last weekend I spent time with a good friend whom I jokingly call a Dave fellator, due to his Dave or the grave mentality, as he can't stand anything Hagar, especially all those "damn sappy love songs". I created a playlist to open his (eyes) ears to the Hagar era, and not just the radio hits.
    In the end, he was impressed, buy ultimately still dislikes any incarnation of VH that doesn't include Dave.
    Here is the list as I thought some would enjoy. Please feel free to comment, critique, judge, ridicule, whatever. This list is why Van Fuckin' Halen is among my top 3 favorite hard rock bands (Judas Priest and AC/DC are the other two):

    ERUPTION (This is where it all begins!)
    HUMANS BEING (It's almost sacrilege to not have YRGM here, but the outro for Eruption leading to this intro is smoothly amazing)
    UNCHAINED (THE VAN HALEN SONG! Accept no substitutes)
    IT'S ABOUT TIME (Some will disagree with this song being here, but I like it. It's vintage Ed guitar, especially during "So turn your clocks back, paint it red on black")
    ROMEO DELIGHT (Another in your face rocker)
    "5150" LIVE (May be the most perfect live song. Everything about this song is flawless. He was most impressed here)
    I'M THE ONE (If there's one song to describe the Van Halen sound, I believe this would be it)
    DREAMS (Memories of college and an amazing 2nd solo at the end)
    PANAMA (Never gets old, especially after the previous song, and played LOUD)
    RUNAROUND (The Panama of the Hagar era? An underrated song? I dunno, but I love it, and it fit's perfectly after Panama)
    LITTLE GUITARS INTRO/LITTLE GUITARS (Dave vocally at his finest)

    -----BREAK----- (the following three songs IMO transition very well. Give it a try!)

    BLACK AND BLUE (Hauntingly fantastic guitar, with a great outro)
    WOMEN IN LOVE... (The intro remains musically one of the best guitar sound I have ever heard)
    DON'T TELL ME... (Balls to the wall song. Love the fact it has 2 guitar solos. A mean follow up to the previous song)
    HEAR ABOUT IT LATER (Killer guitar, killer vocals, killer bass, 2 choruses, all meshed into one song. What's not to love?)
    POUNDCAKE (My favorite off F.U.C.K.)
    SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR (For a song that is less than 3 minutes long, it sure packs a wallop, from beginning to end)
    CROSSING OVER (This song should have been included on Balance and any greatest hits compilation, past or future. It's just a monster)

    -----BREAK----- (take a breath and relax for a moment. We're on the home stretch!)

    FEEL YOUR LOVE TONIGHT (Originally not on the list, but after watching live on youtube, it had to be added. It's like an old friend you haven't seen (heard) in awhile. Welcome back)
    BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (With the background vocals, I believe it complements the previous song very well)
    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!! (My gawd, the intro drum beat, the guitar, the vocals. Still amazes be, even today)
    SUMMER NIGHTS (The guitar. The guitar. The guitar solo. The guitar)
    ICE CREAM MAN (The perfect follow up)
    TOP OF THE WORLD (Love this song. What a perfect way to end a playlist. But wait...)
    IN A SIMPLE RHYME (After seeing that they are playing this live, I had to add it! It's pure classic Van Halen magic, and brings me back to memories of high school)

    Whew!
    Well, let's just say that this list gets played very loud in my car! A lot!
    I (and my children) never tire of it!

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,398
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Likes
    6,127
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    That's a GREAT list!!!
    Kick ass songs from both of the main eras of the Mighty Van Halen. Well done

    'Runaround' is a well known song, but at the same time, I think it's a bit under appreciated - even though it IS like the 'Panama' of the Sammy era.
    Very anthem like.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #3
    Eruption
    Join Date
    01.06.04
    Posts
    806
    Last Online

    10.26.17 @ 05:29 PM
    Likes
    90
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    That's a GREAT list!!!
    Kick ass songs from both of the main eras of the Mighty Van Halen. Well done

    'Runaround' is a well known song, but at the same time, I think it's a bit under appreciated - even though it IS like the 'Panama' of the Sammy era.
    Very anthem like.
    "Runaround" got a fair amount of airplay around the time F.U.C.K. was released, but I rarely heard it on the radio after about 1993. It is kind of like "Drop Dead Legs", "Hear About It Later", or "5150" in that it is a song that most casual fans would know, but often gets overlooked and is vastly underrated.

  5. #4
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,398
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Likes
    6,127
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I occasionally hear 'Runaround' on the radio at work, and it's always a treat.
    VH just have something about them that isn't/can't be duplicated by other bands. As soon as that guitar comes on..., look out!

    Agreed ^^^ that those tunes all deserve more radio play and interest.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  6. #5
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,369
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 11:38 PM
    Likes
    10,247
    Liked 16,481 Times in 9,339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRxJ View Post
    So last weekend I spent time with a good friend whom I jokingly call a Dave fellator, due to his Dave or the grave mentality, as he can't stand anything Hagar, especially all those "damn sappy love songs". I created a playlist to open his (eyes) ears to the Hagar era, and not just the radio hits.
    In the end, he was impressed, buy ultimately still dislikes any incarnation of VH that doesn't include Dave.
    Here is the list as I thought some would enjoy. Please feel free to comment, critique, judge, ridicule, whatever. This list is why Van Fuckin' Halen is among my top 3 favorite hard rock bands (Judas Priest and AC/DC are the other two):

    ERUPTION (This is where it all begins!)
    HUMANS BEING (It's almost sacrilege to not have YRGM here, but the outro for Eruption leading to this intro is smoothly amazing)
    UNCHAINED (THE VAN HALEN SONG! Accept no substitutes)
    IT'S ABOUT TIME (Some will disagree with this song being here, but I like it. It's vintage Ed guitar, especially during "So turn your clocks back, paint it red on black")
    ROMEO DELIGHT (Another in your face rocker)
    "5150" LIVE (May be the most perfect live song. Everything about this song is flawless. He was most impressed here)
    I'M THE ONE (If there's one song to describe the Van Halen sound, I believe this would be it)
    DREAMS (Memories of college and an amazing 2nd solo at the end)
    PANAMA (Never gets old, especially after the previous song, and played LOUD)
    RUNAROUND (The Panama of the Hagar era? An underrated song? I dunno, but I love it, and it fit's perfectly after Panama)
    LITTLE GUITARS INTRO/LITTLE GUITARS (Dave vocally at his finest)

    -----BREAK----- (the following three songs IMO transition very well. Give it a try!)

    BLACK AND BLUE (Hauntingly fantastic guitar, with a great outro)
    WOMEN IN LOVE... (The intro remains musically one of the best guitar sound I have ever heard)
    DON'T TELL ME... (Balls to the wall song. Love the fact it has 2 guitar solos. A mean follow up to the previous song)
    HEAR ABOUT IT LATER (Killer guitar, killer vocals, killer bass, 2 choruses, all meshed into one song. What's not to love?)
    POUNDCAKE (My favorite off F.U.C.K.)
    SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR (For a song that is less than 3 minutes long, it sure packs a wallop, from beginning to end)
    CROSSING OVER (This song should have been included on Balance and any greatest hits compilation, past or future. It's just a monster)

    -----BREAK----- (take a breath and relax for a moment. We're on the home stretch!)

    FEEL YOUR LOVE TONIGHT (Originally not on the list, but after watching live on youtube, it had to be added. It's like an old friend you haven't seen (heard) in awhile. Welcome back)
    BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (With the background vocals, I believe it complements the previous song very well)
    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!! (My gawd, the intro drum beat, the guitar, the vocals. Still amazes be, even today)
    SUMMER NIGHTS (The guitar. The guitar. The guitar solo. The guitar)
    ICE CREAM MAN (The perfect follow up)
    TOP OF THE WORLD (Love this song. What a perfect way to end a playlist. But wait...)
    IN A SIMPLE RHYME (After seeing that they are playing this live, I had to add it! It's pure classic Van Halen magic, and brings me back to memories of high school)

    Whew!
    Well, let's just say that this list gets played very loud in my car! A lot!
    I (and my children) never tire of it!
    Solid list! The only songs I could do without are "It's About Time" and "Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)"
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  7. #6
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,398
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Likes
    6,127
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The list just shows how many great songs VH have had, spanning their entire career!

    To the OP; your buddy is missing out on some stellar music
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  8. #7
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Sweet.

    Only changes id make are drop its about time replaced with Cabo Wabo

    Drop women in love or ice cream man and replace with drop dead legs

  9. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Location
    there's a sleepy town
    Posts
    8,193
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

    07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    That list needs to be played 'full blast and top down'!
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    I love coffee and sarcasm.

    RJD \m/


    Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

  10. #9
    5150
    Join Date
    05.29.14
    Location
    outta space
    Posts
    607
    Last Online

    02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Likes
    305
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRxJ View Post
    CROSSING OVER (This song should have been included on Balance and any greatest hits compilation, past or future. It's just a monster)
    never heard a bad word said against this song.. like literally, never seen anyone even slightly diss it. which is odd because to me it's the single most boring, lumpen, uninspiring, flat piece of turd VH has ever done imo. doesn't sound like Vh, definitely wouldn't have fit on balance. ..

    rest of your list is solid

  11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  12. #10
    Banned!
    Join Date
    06.01.15
    Posts
    950
    Last Online

    01.21.16 @ 09:53 AM
    Likes
    722
    Liked 623 Times in 347 Posts

    Default

    Crossing Over is not just one of my favorite songs, it is one of Van Halen's best songs ever.

  13. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:


  14. #11
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    4,202
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Likes
    1,841
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fat worm View Post
    never heard a bad word said against this song.. like literally, never seen anyone even slightly diss it. which is odd because to me it's the single most boring, lumpen, uninspiring, flat piece of turd VH has ever done imo. doesn't sound like Vh, definitely wouldn't have fit on balance. ..

    rest of your list is solid

    Let me be the first. I don't like it, either.

    I've never understood all the love for it. I don't think it's horrible, or their worst, but I don't see the big deal. It is rather on the boring side.

  15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  16. #12
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    12.27.11
    Posts
    178
    Last Online

    12.03.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Likes
    11
    Liked 79 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    Sammy songs in there??? Really??? Ugh

  17. #13
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,938
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Default

    nice list. I think you missed out on a few like AFU (if you have access to it the version from Japan in 89 is great), Mine All Mine, Judgment Day and a few others but it's a nice start point for someone who isn't familiar with the Sam catalog.

  18. #14
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,938
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeharley666 View Post
    Sammy songs in there??? Really??? Ugh
    nice reading comprehension. Actually "READ" the initial post and you'll see that the OP actually says:

    "I created a playlist to open his (eyes) ears to the Hagar era, and not just the radio hits"

    so why would he logically not have Sam era tunes on there?

  19. #15
    Eruption Al Van Bundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.16.12
    Age
    27
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    774
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 352 Times in 181 Posts

    Default

    Crossing Over could have been a perfect song if it weren't for those goddamn drum machines.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Halen - ADKOT weekly sales report & commentary
    By VH47 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1982
    Last Post: 02.03.14, 04:34 AM
  2. Van Halen Videos with New Commentary By Sammy Hagar
    By Ilovevh in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01.26.13, 11:10 AM
  3. Biting Commentary on Van Halen
    By Jeff Hausman in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08.01.08, 06:40 PM
  4. van halen best of both worlds album
    By stupiedpagan in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03.04.05, 03:26 PM
  5. Dream Worlds II - Van Halen Diss
    By AxeSlinger84 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11.01.01, 06:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •