Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default Please, help me feel justified about my trade...

Traded my 2012 white EVH Wolfgang Special for a 1989 Eric Clapton "Blackie".

Reasoning as follows:

I've been gigging with my Wolf Special, a Classic Vibe strat, and my Partscaster. Main guitar being the Wolf. For songs we play like Tom Petty, Eagles, and some country stuff, I have to change guitars from the Wolf to the Strat. It breaks the flow of the show, and always bugs me changing guitars. Plus, the strat never sounded good where it needs to be clean on the rhythm and hot on the lead, like "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".

The Partscaster has the Frankenstein pickup in it, and doesn't really clean up well. Same for the Wolf. didn't have a guitar that did both well. The Blackie does.

Another reason I did the trade, is I've been wanting one of the older Lace equipped Blackies for a long time, but you rarely see them in the guitar shops. this one played great, and was the second year of production. it was also from the year I graduated High School, so I thought that was cool.

My Partscaster is temporarily out of commission while I'm waiting on my Musikraft neck to arrive. I figured that will be enough of an EVH inspired guitar for me. The neck will feel like an EBMM neck, and look like a strat neck. It will probably me my main guitar, along with the Blackie.

I know the Blackie Strats aren't particularly collectible right now, and they don't really hold a high resale value, but hell, neither do the Wolf Specials.

The only thing I'm kind of feeling bad about is that the Wolf Special did play really, really well and I'm giving up the Floyd and Stainless frets.

Anyway. I love the Blackie, and it sounds great. I just can't help but miss the Wolf a little bit.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Sentimental attachment aside, I wouldn't regret that trade at all. You got a good deal!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 2,850 Times in 1,065 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Don't worry about it and enjoy your new guitar. They're still making Wolfgangs and you can get another down the line if you want.

Last Online

Yeah, I figure it that way too. Wolf Specials are pretty available for a relatively low price. The Blackie is by far a more versatile guitar, and does clean and high gain stuff equally well. When I look at it hanging on the wall though, I can't help but think it's just another Strat. I get over it though, as soon as I pick it up and plug it in. It's just a great instrument. Plus, it's a classic, and a Signature guitar of one of the all-time great guitarists. It's kind of EVH related anyway, since he's Eddie's hero and all.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Ok, upon further research, I've discovered that my Blackie is likely a 1993, and not a 1989. Not really a big deal, just thought it was cool that the serial number reflected it was the year I graduated. Apparently, it was not uncommon for them to use earlier serial numbered necks on the Signature series guitars. The give away that it's not an 89 is that it is black, and oddly enough, that color was not offered in 89. Weird that a guitar named "Blackie" wasn't even offered in black the first three years they made it.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

You def. came out ahead value wise. No worries, if you miss the Wolf it'll be easy enough to grab another.
    And yeah, Fenders can be funny with the serial numbers, they don't scrap anything so a neck could sit for a couple years until it finds a mate.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

I agree with everyone else. I'd do that trade any day of the week.

Last Online

The Blackie is really exactly what I needed for gigging. It easily transitions from great clean tones to hot lead tones with the turn of a knob. Now that I have everything I need in one guitar, I won't need to switch guitars between songs. I could potentially play the Blackie all night for all songs.

So now that I don't actually need the Classic Vibe Strat anymore, the question now is, what do I do with it? My Partscaster is waiting on the neck I ordered from Musikraft, so I transplanted my MightyMite neck to the Classic Vibe. I already transplanted the Zinc sustain block on the CV strat with a steel one, so it's really got all the components there for tone and it plays well.

I will have 3 strats, one for Van Halen-y tone, one for everything, and one that could really be turned into anything. The only thing about the Classic Vibe that really needs to be addressed is the electronics. The pickups don't sound bad, but they have a very weak output. I've decided step one will be to install a Dimarzio Tone Zone S into the bridge position. I really am only doing this so that I can have a good high gain option on it. Have no idea what I want to do to it otherwise for the neck and middle positions. Not a big deal for a while, since I'm usually on the bridge pickup anyway, but I'm wanting to balance the output of the Tone Zone S. I'm looking at the HS-4, or maybe an Area 58.

I'm also toying with the idea of making this guitar an electronic experiment. One of the ideas I had was to install the Seymour Duncan Everything Axe pickup set, set it up for coil tapping, and install a Fishman Power Bridge for a good acoustic sound. I'm not sure I want to dump that much money into it though.

I'm just looking for something to make the CV useful in some way other than being a backup guitar.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I'm also toying with the idea of making this guitar an electronic experiment.
    WWED? (what would Eddie do)
    Go for it man!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

If you want an acoustic bridge go Graphtech GHOST.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

I think you got a good score...
    There's actually two Wolfgang guitars that I have that I'm looking to get rid of. I thought about getting a Clapton Strat way back in the day, but decided against it for whatever reason.

Your new "Blackie" sounds like it really fits the bill for ya. Nice
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

There are really two things I'm seriously considering doing with the CV strat.

1) Since it's already the right color and has a maple fretboard now, I could buy a David Gilmour EMG setup for it. 920D Custom on Amazon sells them. They are a little pricey, but it's a drop in. Gilmours setup is much like the Clapton setup, only using EMGs vs. Lace sensors. It could be a pretty versatile little tribute guitar.

2) I could strip the red paint off the body, and stripe it up ala VH1, get a single ply black pickguard and a black Wolfgang pickup, and have a VH1 striped series, but with the standard trem. I like the idea of that, and I would choose the Wolfgang pickup, because I already have the Frankenstein pickup in the other guitar. The thing about that though, is it would require a lot of time and energy that I don't really have.