Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

09.22.17 @ 07:32 AM
    Liked 1,914 Times in 964 Posts

Premium Member

I took the day off yesterday to recover (wise move).

Overall I thought the concert was great. I much prefer an arena show, but this was still cool (or should I say ungodly hot?). I went with my wife and my best friend and his fiance. The ladies aren't much into VH and my friend is more of a casual fan, so I knew I was going to be the only one totally rocking out.

We went out to eat beforehand and got a good start on imbibing. Made it to the parking lot about 45 minutes before showtime and continued to drink there. KWS took the stage at about 7:20 (ten minutes early) which I thought was strange. The line out front was terrible (they screened us like this was an NWA or Insane Clown Posse concert).

As I mentioned I got to meet Hack briefly before the show. We took some pictures, found out we lived 3 minutes from each other, then parted ways for the show.

We made it to our seat to see Voodoo Child. We were in row OO in the reserved seating (just before the lawn). Most of the seats behind us were empty but it seemed most of the seats in front of us were full. Side grievance: How the fuck do I get the last row of available seats when I logged in literally 10 seconds after the show went on sale

Anyway, VH was awesome. Dave sounded pretty good to my ear, although there were times when he went a little beyond like DTNA. The band sounded great as well. Most of the crowd stood the entire time. The only time people really took a seat was during ICM, but by the end of the song everyone was back up and rocking out. The smell of wacky-tobacky was present through most of the night, so I guess that screening out front was pointless

What was even more amazing is that the lawn section seemed to be on their feet the whole time, too.

We ended up heading for the parking lot right before Jump because my wife was getting really tired and I figured she'd put up with enough of my stuff for the day.

I was pleasantly surprised to see all of the ADKOT shirts. People watching at this thing was pretty epic as well. Dave made mention about how the VH audience is made up of a diverse crowd, and that's the truth. You see everyone from corporate white collar to trailer park types, black, white, hispanic, young, old, etc. It's pretty fun to go to a concert and see all these people rocking out to "your" band. There was a guy wearing the red/black/white striped jumpsuit a few rows in front of us--I want to go to the next concert with THAT guy!

I had a great time and would recommend seeing them if you're on the fence. It's a great show!
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    The Post Dispatch is my hometown paper, and it's a rag. Like so many other rags with Entertainment sections, unless you're a band no one's heard of or part of the better-known fauxhemian set, you're just not going to get the benefit of the doubt much. Then again, so much of this kind of predetermined opinion has been brought on by the band itself...not much we, as fans, can do about that soap opera. And in looking at it from that angle, I can't say the writer gave us anything unexpected, and in fact, still managed to compliment where he could.

But personally, I'll stick to the reviews of *Van Halen* fans...the ones who know the music, the personalities and the history beyond the lazy "merry-go-round of lead singers" meme that the reviewer mentions. Thanks to all for passing along your experiences from St. Louis!

My brother said KSHE was giving some tepid reviews of the show yesterday. I told him that they had to take Sammy's dick out of their mouth to comment, so it's not surprising. He said their complaints ranged from "Dave doesn't act his age" to "Eddie wore regular clothes" to "Dave wore too many clothes."

I told them Sammy wears man-capris on stage and that this is a rock and roll show, not a poetry reading--not acting your age is a requirement for entry.

Some people just look for issues because they don't want to like it. I accept it and move on.

He added later that callers were giving them crap after they acted like it was bad show--apparently a lot of people disagreed with them and were blowing up their phones

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

09.23.17 @ 04:37 AM
    Liked 1,117 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    STL newspaper review:
    http://m.stltoday.com/entertainment/...ile_touch=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...wrong post .sorry

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

09.23.17 @ 04:37 AM
    Liked 1,117 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    Photos from the local "rag:"
    http://www.stltoday.com/gallery/ente...8f793fd.html#0

I can neither confirm nor deny that me and the Mrs are a part of that slide show...

http://www.stltoday.com/gallery/ente...8f793fd.html#0

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

One other note.

I'd been avoiding the deep cuts on youtube so they would sound fresh to my ear. I knew some people commented on IASR sounding off to them at prior shows, but the background vocals sounded great to me at this one.

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

09.23.17 @ 01:40 PM
    Liked 804 Times in 378 Posts

Premium Member

In Mexico on vacation. Wifi sucks here. I'll keep it short. Can't stop thinking about the two shows I saw last week. The review about lack of interaction between the band is wrong. I ended up about 10th row center for st Louis, 6th row center in KC. Tons of interaction between the band. That's one of the things that made me so happy. Many people just don't like Dave. Many people in St. Louis hate VH cus this town has been blowing Sammy for whatever reason for 40 years. More power to them. VH could play a 3 hour, note for note show with a Harvard educated music scholar confirming that Dave hit every note with perfect pitch, and some cockblocker on twitter or some reviewer would say they sucked. That's how the world is. People love to be negative pricks for some reason. Maybe it brings them attention. Maybe they feel powerful. Who the hell knows. What I do know, is that I saw the Mighty Van Halen twice last week in the year 2015 with the coolest lest lead singer on the planet, in my opinion. I love this fucking band. If you don't, your loss.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.22.15 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts

Here's a good (5 star!) journo review of the St Louis show: http://www.examiner.com/review/van-h...nt-louis-crowd

(Long time VH fan, first post. Looking forward to seeing the band in the Hollywood Bowl.)

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

09.14.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHNZ View Post
    Here's a good (5 star!) journo review of the St Louis show: http://www.examiner.com/review/van-h...nt-louis-crowd

(Long time VH fan, first post. Looking forward to seeing the band in the Hollywood Bowl.)
    An awful nice review from Sammy country. I just saw them in Pittsburgh and they were rock solid. DOn't miss this showw

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

09.23.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 613 Times in 303 Posts

Default One year ago tonight....

...I went to my first Van Halen concert, which was the best rock show I've ever seen. I'm still reliving the memory, and eagerly await the next time I'll see them again.
    That said, does anybody know of a quality audio recording of the full show? Mine isn't great and I'm missing a few bits from a couple of songs.
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh