Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed6150:
    I am not slamming Sammy here but he prooved to VH fans what a egotistical man he is by pratically ignoring 78-84 material .

Maybe Sammy should go back and listen to his song GIVE TO LIVE . IMO Sammy was extremely selfish and self indulgent when it came to performing songs live . I was not asking for exclusive Dave material live , but he could have gave more to the fans .

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really see it that way. I'm not so sure, for one thing, that the refusal to play much Van HALEN material on the Van Hagar tours was all Sammy's idea. Remember Eddie was saying in every interview that this was a "new band". And that being the case, would it be logical for a new band to rely too much on the old bands material? Yeah, I would have liked to have heard Eddie play some more of the old stuff on the Monsters tour in 1988 or the FUCK tour, but it wouldn't have been the same with Sammy singing it anyway. Sammy is not David Lee Roth, and he knows it. Whatever involvement his ego may have, I believe that he was showing more respect to the Van HALEN material by notrelying on it too much.

With Gary it was a different situation entirely. Unlike 5150, VDIII was a disaster. They couldn't base the show on that album. From Gary's viewpoint, a Van HALEN song and a Van Hagar song were all the same, he was still singing some one else's stuff. Add to that the fans reaction after being swindled out of the reunion tour that they were led to believe was imminent. Cherone knew what material the fans wanted to hear, so why not give it to them.

Though I don't believe that Gary Cherone would have ever been a good fit in "Van Halen", I have respect for him as a human being. After all the shit he must have had to put up with from Danniels and Eddie (I know for a fact that the "soulmate" business was never a reality) he still sticks up for the band, Dave included, in the media. That's good character, and best of luck to Gary with his new band.

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Ed6150
    Ford , I respect your opinion but it was always Sam who decided what songs to play live . He says so in numerous interviews , he would pick the songs and Ed and Al were always passive . Like Sammy would say anyone want to play Pouncake , guys would say nah , so he would say ok we'll do 7th Seal .

Sammy has said that he is the singer and he likes to choose what songs they play because "he has to sing them" .

Sammy and Al IMO were always the guys who would name the albums , Ed never gave a fuck really , in his own words . I tend to think Sam was in control more than we fans think .

Ed6150
    I was thinking yesterday while I was driving and I was listening to VH 2 . I have been a very harsh critic of VH 3 and Gary Cherone . I never liked Extreme or even heard of Gary Cherone until I seen a video of the Freddie Mercury tribute concert , then I thought to myself , this was in 1997, Van Halen has got a pretty damm good singer with this Gary character .

I grew up on Van Hagar , first got turned on to VH in 1984 when I was 9 . I then went out and got the rest of there 5 tapes at the time . I am not slamming Sammy here but he prooved to VH fans what a egotistical man he is by pratically ignoring 78-84 material .

Maybe Sammy should go back and listen to his song GIVE TO LIVE . IMO Sammy was extremely selfish and self indulgent when it came to performing songs live . I was not asking for exclusive Dave material live , but he could have gave more to the fans .

I recently got my new INSIDE magazine and read the article about Gary upfront . I want to formallly apologize to GirlGoneBad for slamming Gary in the past and for slamming VH3 . Gary is a great guy who has prooven to the world that he is not as selfish and has less of a ego than MrHagar . Shit , Gary gave us his all and I commend him for that . Class Act .

David Lee Roth . I like Dave , I don't expect Dave to sing Sammy songs , not because they suck but they do not fit his style . Sammy is great , but Dave is in a different league . AKA Robert Plant ,ect..

Lastly I want to thank Brett for allowing me to hang here after all the bashing I did in the past . I tend to think of Brett as being a great guy like Gary Cherone , what I mean is they are both class acts and I think that is cool . Just had this on my mind for 2 days I feel better now I got it off my chest .

[This message has been edited by Ed6150 (edited July 30, 2000 at 12:44 AM).]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great post. I agree about Sammy and Gary and Dave, and everything else you wrote

------------------
    Nick "I've been to the edge, MMMMThere I stood and looked down."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Ed thats cool man! Thanks! You didn't have to apologize but thank you. You're a great man yourself not to sound like Liberace. Lets jam sometime(as long as I can wear a Bruins shirt in Montreal).We can rip thru Dead Or Alive.

------------------
    2711 Don't ever drink anything you can't see through.
    "Call Me Sir God Damn It!"

Ed6150
    Sure GGB , you can wear your BRUINS jersey
    I tell ya what , Gary is a class act . Too bad Sammy wasn't as cool as Gary as a person , not to meant to slam Sam .