Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Default 3 Specials, 3 different neck profiles?

Well... I've been on a bit of a buying spree the past few weeks and have picked up a MIM B&Y Special and a MIC Stealth Special... to go along with the RB&W Special I got a while back...

In playing them, I've noticed differences in the neck profiles. It was tough to line these up at the same angle, but to me, I feel and see three different profiles...

Top one is the MIC Stealth
    Middle one is the MIM RB&W
    Bottom one is the MIM B&Y

To be honest, I think I like the Stealth neck the most of the three. The B&Y feels almost like a baseball bat in comparison. I bought the Stealth used, so it's also more broken in than the other two.

Another thing... comparing the B&Y with the RB&W, I noticed that the B&Y has less of an archtop to it. The edges are higher than the RB&W one...

Anyway... found all this interesting, and figured someone here might as well.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Is the B&Y neck asymmetrical by chance?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Is the B&Y neck asymmetrical by chance?
    No, it's not actually. Good question though!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

Great post As Is.

When you say 'baseball' bat feel to the B&Y, do mean like the musicman neck?

The musicman is my fav neck, the new ones just don't feel as 'inviting' in my hands..

I have played the RBW special and it felt a little 'cold' to me.. How does it feel to you? And which is your fav of the 3?

I note the pickup selector is also different between the striped specials..
    Last edited by James the 2nd; 07.26.15 at 03:55 AM.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    Well... I've been on a bit of a buying spree the past few weeks and have picked up a MIM B&Y Special and a MIC Stealth Special... to go along with the RB&W Special I got a while back...

In playing them, I've noticed differences in the neck profiles. It was tough to line these up at the same angle, but to me, I feel and see three different profiles...

Top one is the MIC Stealth
    Middle one is the MIM RB&W
    Bottom one is the MIM B&Y

To be honest, I think I like the Stealth neck the most of the three. The B&Y feels almost like a baseball bat in comparison. I bought the Stealth used, so it's also more broken in than the other two.

Another thing... comparing the B&Y with the RB&W, I noticed that the B&Y has less of an archtop to it. The edges are higher than the RB&W one...

Anyway... found all this interesting, and figured someone here might as well.
    Those are great close up photos of the guitars, to illustrate the differences you're pointing out.

I've found that the necks on my EVH guitars all feel different too. None are bad, per se, yet there are definitely some things I didn't expect. Kind of makes me pine for the EBMM days, when the quality was so strict and the necks were identical. Funny that that was way before the "This is what I use" tagline got added to Ed's products! LOL
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by James the 2nd View Post
    Great post As Is.

When you say 'baseball' bat feel to the B&Y, do mean like the musicman neck?

The musicman is my fav neck, the new ones just don't feel as 'inviting' in my hands..

I have played the RBW special and it felt a little 'cold' to me.. How does it feel to you? And which is your fav of the 3?

I note the pickup selector is also different between the striped specials..

To be honest, I've never played an EVH MusicMan, so I can't say. Just think it feels thicker of these three.

I've only had the Stealth and the B&Y a few days, but the RB&W I've had almost a year now and I really like that one. Play it a lot actually.

Of the two I just got... the B&Y and the Stealth, I am enjoying the Stealth a lot. The neck is worn in and perhaps oiled... so it feels like one of my old un-finished oiled Kramer Pacer beak necks. Definitely the most comfortable of the three.

As for the switches on the striped Wolfs... they seem to be all over the place. Earliest RB&W ones were all black with a diamond-like tip. Then all black with a rounded tip. Then chrome innards with black ring, with rounded tip. And then the B&Y's I've seen are chrome innards, black ring, rounded tip.

Last Online

By the way, if anyone is looking for a B&Y Wolf at MAP price, I know a great smaller shop that has a few in stock.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

My USA Stealth and b/w Stripe Series(which claims to have the Wolfgang profile) feel exactly the same. Close your eyes and other than the fret size you can't tell the difference. I was skeptical that would be the case. The Peavey special claimed to have the same neck only with non tilt headstock and they felt nothing alike to me.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    The Peavey special claimed to have the same neck only with non tilt headstock and they felt nothing alike to me.
    My Peavey Standard feels completely different than the Peavey Specials I've owned. The specials were much thicker.

Last Online

My USA Stealth and b/w Stripe Series(which claims to have the Wolfgang profile) feel exactly the same.
    I don't have a US to compare to, but my Striped Series is wider at the heel and I believe thicker than my Stealth Special neck.

Last Online

My USA Stealth and b/w Stripe Series(which claims to have the Wolfgang profile) feel exactly the same. Close your eyes and other than the fret size you can't tell the difference. I was skeptical that would be the case. The Peavey special claimed to have the same neck only with non tilt headstock and they felt nothing alike to me.
    Isn't the Striped Series neck an R3 nut while the Wolfgang is an R2?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    I don't have a US to compare to, but my Striped Series is wider at the heel and I believe thicker than my Stealth Special neck.
    Interesting... One of the reasons I haven't somehow afforded myself a Striped Series is that the neck is wider at the nut and thinner than I'm comfortable with. However, all the Wolfgangs I've played feel nice.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

I don't know if they are R2 but I'm betting they all are R3. Seriously. The necks are so close I thought about selling the Stealth. I prefer Strat bodies too. And jumbo frets. I just can't have my main guitar be a Stripe Series so I kept the Stealth.

I also played two other Stealth guitars. Another black like mine and a grey one. They all felt and sounded the same to me. And it was through a 50 watt 5150 III head and Diezel 4x12. Anyway that's four guitars, three that should feel alike and one that claims and to me is the same. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the higher frets there is a difference. IDK. Fret and A power cord. That whole lower register has the same wide flatter feel. Compared to the Peavey that's how I'd describe it.

Last Online

According to EVHgear...

Standard 1.625" (41.3 mm)
    Special 1.625" (41.3 mm)
    USA 1.625" (41.3 mm)
    Striped Series 1.6875" (42.8 mm)
    Custom 1.6875" (42.8 mm)
    Custom Relic 1.625" (41.3 mm)
    Custom Deluxe 1.625" (41.3 mm)

Last Online

By the way, this Made in China Stealth I just got suffers from the nut problem frequently mentioned here. One of the mount screws sticks out above the surface so it doesn't fully lock.

Oh, and no stickers on the back of the pickups.