Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default A Warning for Those Taking, or Loved Ones of Those Taking Blood Thinners

A Fellow Linker's Plea:

Some of you may be familiar with my Fathers story.....For those who aren't, several years ago, My Father had suffered a rupture of a previously undiagnosed abdominal aortic aneurysm.
    He pulled through against all odds however, with only a 3% chance of surviving, and being in a coma for well over a month.

Fast forward, he had had several other surgeries to place permanent fixtures in place of some which had been place for the emergency procedure.

After the surgeries, he was placed on a blood thinner regime, and they settled on the use of Warfarin as the agent which was working best for him, and it was.

Well...Over the past several weeks, we have been planning him moving closer to me, (He has been on Vancouver Island for the past couple of years) and try to get out and do some things for the Summer, as his health has been great as of late, and everything has been looking positive.

Well, this past Monday, July 13th., at around 8:30pm, I got a call from my cousin, and it was not good news.

I got word that my Father passed away quite suddenly after a minor fall. I couldn't believe it.

As I found out, He had been up on his ladder performing a small task on his roof....Either sweeping a gutter, or looking for a loose shingle...He wasn't even on the roof, as he knows better, and even I had told him the previous week to not go on the roof himself, or at the very least without help.
    He was a very stubborn, and independent person, but not careless in any way.

What apparently happened was a ladder he had propped up earlier in the week in very arid conditions, became unstable at the foot when we had some much needed rain.

The ladder tipped to one side, and he topped off from about 4 feet up, and landed on the ground. He dusted himself off, but in the process, he noticed he had a small cut on his head. He called his Sister, who lives nearby to not come over as she had planned earlier because he had to go to the clinic to close a cut on his head. She insisted she take him several times, but he told her it was silly, and he'd call her when he got home.

When he arrived at the clinic, the doctor noticed one of his pupils were heavily dialated, and his speech was a bit slurred. He told him he was calling an ambulance to get him to emerg. as he feared he had suffered a closed head injury.

By the time the ambulance arrived shortly thereafter, his other pupil was dialated, and he began to slip into a coma.

By the time he arrived at the hospital, he was unresponsive, and despite drilling the skull to relieve the pressure it was far too late and by 4:00 pm, he was pronounced dead.

The findings were that the bleeding was a direct result of blood thinners causing uncontrollable bleeding in the brain.......The overall assessment was that the impact alone most likely would have resulted in a minor concussion, but the Warfarin thinned the blood to the point that normal clotting could not take place, and any minor lesion (which are common in concussions) would bleed out uncontrollably.

This is not written as an indictment of the use of blood thinners, but please...Everyone....
    If you or someone you know take blood thinners, please be aware of these risks. Ask lots of questions regarding their use. Ask if the particular thinner or dosage you or your loved one are on pose a risk of such an event, and are there medicines that can quickly counter their effects in an emergency. These drugs are lifesavers, and in general, can prolong and facilitate a long healthy life, however, they have a very sinister side which can turn minor injuries into fatalities if misunderstood, or their power underestimated.

My Dad made a very poor choice in retrospect, but he had no symptoms whatsover that caused him concern enough to go to an emergency room over a clinic, all the while this bleeding was killing him while he joked, and cursed himself for being careless on the ladder.

It was a huge shock, and we are all still stunned by it, missing his big personality.

It's so sad for me, that I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye.

All the best to you everyone...I didn't want to preach here, and again...I'm not saying that blood thinner drugs are a bad thing, but they are to be respected, and it is imperative that we all know the risk factors of taking such drugs. I really don't want any of you to go through what we just did. It's turned our world up on end.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.20.15 at 02:53 PM.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear that man, what a shocking end. My sincerest condolences.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Thanks Brett. It means alot. I still catch myself several times a day thinking "I gotta call the ol' man about this, or that!" It's the kind of relationship we had. So many of the same interests, so EVERYTHING reminds me of him. He was in his seventies, but he was very young in many ways physically and mentally....I guess it runs in the family. My Grandfather lived til 90, and cancer is what got him, but had he not had it, he probably would have ticked on to 100! Just how strong and vibrant they both were. A lot of fight in both of them.
    Thanks again Brett.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Jesus bro, so sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Very tragic.

Thank you so much for the service announcement on the risk of blood thinners. Blood thinners, which are needed for some patients, and do serve a useful purpose, naturally, are extremely dangerous for people who suffer some type of traumatic injury, minor or not.

When we establish a medical history from a patient, asking if they're on a BT is standard, simply because of the risk. And, these are patients that have been involved in some type of trauma incident.

I truly hate hearing about this. Sometimes it seems so senseless and I feel doctors really drop the ball on explaining the information and dangers of blood thinners to their patients and families. Thinners really put patients in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Hope you and your family find some peace and comfort during this extremely sad time.

Prayers sent.....

HH<------------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:19 PM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Very sorry to hear the news...

Not sure what to say, other than "BEST POSSIBLE WISHES" to you and yours, during this difficult time.
    Hope you get through it ok. Handshake and a friendly hug, to a fellow Linker.

Cheers, from Canada.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Very sorry for you loss..
    I was put on Cumadin (spelling) after having a massive MI in 2006. I was on that for about a year. Luckily I got off of them.
    Praying for you and your family...

GET READY....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Oh man, sorry for your loss
    Thank you for the info
    Be strong bro
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:28 PM
    Liked 7,844 Times in 4,579 Posts

Premium Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

I am so sorry for your loss! Just curious, whereabouts on the island did your dad live? I was on the rock for 16 years.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:21 PM
    Liked 11,750 Times in 6,508 Posts

Premium Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:04 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

So sorry for your loss.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:53 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sorry to hear this. Stay strong.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

That's terrible! So sorry for the loss of your father.

Sent from my iPhone
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

so sorry for the loss of your father

When my mother broke her pelvis last year and spent a month in the hospital, she suffered a pulmonary embolism despite already being on a blood thinner as a precaution.....a small one, and they caught it early and treated it successfully. Then they suggested a 6 month course of Coumadin which we very carefully researched and discussed with the family. Finally I asked the doctor.... if this was your mother what would you do? She replied that if her mother had the history of balance problems and falls, she would not give her the Coumadin because a small tumble could lead to a life threatening bleed. We decided not to do the blood thinner. In your fathers situation there was not much choice. He had a very serious condition. But I had chills down my spine when I read about the circumstances. So so sorry for your family.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:25 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Sympathies out to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.