I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 10,831 Times in 5,695 Posts

Premium Member

Default The Atomic Punks

From Greg Renoff:

http://us10.campaign-archive1.com/?u...d&e=51b0c40d54

Fuckin' awesome! You know who wasn't there to participate in the hijinks? The bass player. I wonder why?

I wonder if there is more that we don't know about and that the Van Halen brothers and Dave were more tight and together during the early years and Mike wasn't and maybe that has something to do with Ed's deep seated resentment towards him.

I know Mike got kicked out of his house by his dad for quitting school and devoting all his energy to Van Halen, but maybe before that he didn't and it was Ed, Al and Dave doing all the legwork. I don't know, just speculating because it seems odd not to see him in this prank.

Perhaps the forthcoming book will shed more light on that, although I think Mike is the only member of Van Halen that actually agreed to interview for the project.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

That occurred to me too. Mike was conspicuous by his absence. That story also reveals to me that Dave had a lot of fun with Eddie and Alex in those days. Don't know that makes them "friends" but they laughed a LOT. It certainly wasn't torture for them to be around him.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    That occurred to me too. Mike was conspicuous by his absence. That story also reveals to me that Dave had a lot of fun with Eddie and Alex in those days. Don't know that makes them "friends" but they laughed a LOT. It certainly wasn't torture for them to be around him.
    Dave ran the show back then. Eddie eventually grew to resent it.

Of COURSE they didn't always hate each other. You can't be that good and come up from nothing while hating each other from the beginning. Not to mention you can't have that good a time all the time and not like each other somewhat. That always comes later.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe Mike had something important to attend to that night, or was sick.

Nothing to see here...

Mike was/is a partier big time. He likes his drink but he has always struck me as more of a family man. Traditional.

It was him and his lady from the get go..

Remember the DTNA performance from '79? He wasn't in the limo with the other 3.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:41 PM
    Liked 8,712 Times in 4,707 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    A lot of the "we were never friends" BS spouted by Ed and Al in interviews occurred after the breakup when they were royally pissed and hurt at Dave's decision to quit. Although I'm sure they couldn't stand each other at the end, there's no way they would have stuck it out all those years in the clubs if they didn't atleast have SOME great times together.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    A lot of the "we were never friends" BS spouted by Ed and Al in interviews occurred after the breakup when they were royally pissed and hurt at Dave's decision to quit. Although I'm sure they couldn't stand each other at the end, there's no way they would have stuck it out all those years in the clubs if they didn't at least have SOME great times together.
    they definitely had a ball together in most of those years. Dave & Al especially in some of those interviews...

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:41 PM
    Liked 8,712 Times in 4,707 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    they definitely had a ball together in most of those years. Dave & Al especially in some of those interviews...

Yeah I remember those two always having a blast in interviews.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Maybe Mike had something important to attend to that night, or was sick.

Nothing to see here...

Mike was/is a partier big time. He likes his drink but he has always struck me as more of a family man. Traditional.

It was him and his lady from the get go..

Remember the DTNA performance from '79? He wasn't in the limo with the other 3.
    this.

it's amazing how people want to make mountains out of mole hills when it comes to some of this stuff.

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    this.

it's amazing how people want to make mountains out of mole hills when it comes to some of this stuff.
    No one is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just speculating as to the source of Ed's seemingly unwarranted dislike of Mike. It's a discussion board and it's okay to discuss possibilities as to why that is.

A couple of us found it odd that Mike was not involved in this incident. I'd have to go back and read it again but it appears to have been more than one night so the "Mike was sick" explanation doesn't hold up.

We don't know, but if Mike wasn't as close at that time as the other three, and was really only showing up for rehearsals and gigs, it would explain why it was so easy for Ed to be looking for other bass players even before Dave left. Maybe that's not the case. I'm sure this book will shed some light on it.

18. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:29 PM
    Liked 16,493 Times in 9,347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    No one is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just speculating as to the source of Ed's seemingly unwarranted dislike of Mike. It's a discussion board and it's okay to discuss possibilities as to why that is.

A couple of us found it odd that Mike was not involved in this incident. I'd have to go back and read it again but it appears to have been more than one night so the "Mike was sick" explanation doesn't hold up.

We don't know, but if Mike wasn't as close at that time as the other three, and was really only showing up for rehearsals and gigs, it would explain why it was so easy for Ed to be looking for other bass players even before Dave left. Maybe that's not the case. I'm sure this book will shed some light on it.
    Is it possible that there just wasn't enough time for Eddie to show Mike how to play the incredibly complex bass lines that usually accompany the punk rock genre?
    Last edited by I Coulda Hada VH; 07.20.15 at 07:32 AM.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

20. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

connecting Ed's incredible disdain for Mike to a couple of isolated incidents that happened before the band was signed sound to me like making a mountain out of a molehill and just shows me how far some people will go to justify Ed's treatment of Mike.

Seriously, I had a few friends I hung out with in my 20's, I'm sure there were times when out of say 4 of us that only 3 of us hung out and did stuff once in while.....I don't disdain the 4th guy for not being with us years and years ago.

Lordy....lol.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Is it possible that there just wasn't enough time for Eddie to show Mike how to play the incredibly complex bass lines that usually accompany the punk rock genre?
    Mike probably went home to grab his video camera so he could record Ed showing him how to do this and got stuck in traffic while the band went on without him.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    connecting Ed's incredible disdain for Mike to a couple of isolated incidents that happened before the band was signed sound to me like making a mountain out of a molehill and just shows me how far some people will go to justify Ed's treatment of Mike.

Seriously, I had a few friends I hung out with in my 20's, I'm sure there were times when out of say 4 of us that only 3 of us hung out and did stuff once in while.....I don't disdain the 4th guy for not being with us years and years ago.

Lordy....lol.
    Who's to say it was a couple of isolated incidents? Maybe it was a lot. We don't know - we weren't there.

That is what I am pointing out - that perhaps all of this stuff dates back to the very beginning where even then Ed didn't feel Mike was as committed as the rest of them. After all, that's why Mark Stone got the boot. And in no way is it "justifying Ed's treatment of Mike." It is simply trying to understand a possible motive for what from the outside seems to be out of line. This is obviously lost on you.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post

He had to video tape the outfits they were gonna wear to show him how to dress because he was responsible for every article of punk clothing Mike ever wore.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Who's to say it was a couple of isolated incidents? Maybe it was a lot. We don't know - we weren't there.

That is what I am pointing out - that perhaps all of this stuff dates back to the very beginning where even then Ed didn't feel Mike was as committed as the rest of them. After all, that's why Mark Stone got the boot. And in no way is it "justifying Ed's treatment of Mike." It is simply trying to understand a possible motive for what from the outside seems to be out of line. This is obviously lost on you.
    not lost. I just think it's silly.

Perhaps we need a "speculation" forum for stuff like this.

if Mike wasn't committed in the early days then Ed should have bounced him then just like he (or they since I don't know if Ed was the only one responsible for Stones exit) ditched Stone for Mike.

You can play imaginary connect the dots all day long but remember it's totally speculation and if you are gonna totally speculate then when somebody says you're full of malarkey you can't really be offended by it, that comes with the territory.