Register
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,120 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

Default Cars set ablaze as wildfire jumps California freeway

Cars set ablaze as wildfire jumps California freeway

(CNN)Several cars and trucks in a long line of abandoned vehicles on a California freeway caught fire as flames from a brush fire jumped the highway Friday.

There were no reports of injuries, said Steve Carapia of the California Highway Patrol. He estimated there were up to 70 cars, trucks and tractor-trailers on I-15 northbound near San Bernardino.

"You could see the flames moving from the west side of the I-15 freeway, and basically we just watched it as it literally jumped over the freeway and started the fire on the other side. And it just got worse from there," Ryan McEachron told CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360˚"

He said southbound traffic also had stopped and suddenly a huge group of people came walking up the road.

"At which point everybody on the freeway just started turning their vehicles around," he said.

. . .

(http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/us/cal...ire/index.html)

3,500 acres have burned, 20 vehicles have been destroyed and 10 left damaged on the I15 freeway. Five structures have been destroyed, and there are mandatory evacuations in the town east of where I am.

So what you have to understand about northbound traffic on this stretch of road is the I15 is the main north-south artery from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. The I15 combines with another freeway, the 215, in Devore, right exactly where Van Halen regularly plays and where the US festival was.

That bottleneck has been under construction for a year in order two widen it, as traffic can back up for miles, adding an hour to a commute. So this is a major, major construction zone right now. Each Friday, the traffic is bad due to Vegas traffic, and it gets even worse with construction, and even worse when there's a fire.

Here's a picture of the vehicles on the freeway that caught on fire when the blaze jumped the road

Here's a picture of the fire from a distance

And on a more personal note, here is a picture from about 4:00pm from my driveway, as posted to Instagram

The I15 is parallel to those houses across the street from me, about a mile and a half behind them.

Not only were my parents driving this stretch of road as it broke out, but are home safe, but my wife is currently caught in the traffic, as she commutes this section of freeway to work each day.

She has used Waze twice in her life, both times it has screwed her. This time it took her in a huge circle and then got her back on the highway she'd just sat though 45 minutes of traffic on, back at the beginning where she started. She's only a few miles from home, but at least 2 hours away.

Worse, because Waze had her routed, she didn't stop for gas. She's in a Volt. No battery power left, so hopefully she makes it home safe. It's crazy out there, kids.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

I saw this on the news this morning and thought it was south, out by El Cajon......this is crazy...that road looks like something out of an apocalypse movie...or the Walking Dead.

had to be very scary to be stuck in traffic like that

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,120 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

Luckily both my parents and wife were able to get home safely. Now we get to drive that stretch tomorrow for my wife's grandmother's funeral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

You should ration your water supply so the NFL can build a new stadium and then watch it burn.