Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Romeo Delight speates's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.14.12
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    46
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, House of Pain
    Last Online

    09.02.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts

    Drop Dead Legs Chorus

    Eddie sure did not make this song easy to figure out...

    I've been trying to learn "Drop Dead Legs," and I am strangely obsessed with learning to play it EXACTLY like it was on the record (as I am with all songs). The bend/slide part that many do with the whammy bar has been solved already, but looking at tabs and playing the chorus the way it is almost always transcribed, it just doesn't sound right to me. Specifically, the part I don't think is right is the part under the lines "When the night is through, will I still be lovin' you?" It is commonly transcribed as



    But this just feels quite clunky to play (especially the slides!) and I think the chords are wrong. However, now we have live footage!



    Looking at this, he is clearly quite high up on the fretboard playing that part. After some experimentation, careful listening, and studying that video, I have a theory that he is playing something more like



    I'm not confident that this is exactly right, but I think it feels much less clunky to play, it seems to match what EVH does live, and it sounds better. Any thoughts?




    Edit: I forgot to put the 14/12 slide on the second image.

  2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  3. #2
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,403
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 01:05 AM
    Likes
    6,129
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Good call on that part of the DDL tab.
    I always felt that it didn't seem right as well. Watching YT clips of Ed, or even other players in their bedrooms etc, can help. Tab books are a good starting point, although they aren't always 100% accurate.

    Use your own ears as well - which you seem to have done in this case.
    Nice.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #3
    Eruption garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,498
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Likes
    343
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

    Default

    Good catch! I think speates is correct and the video proves it!

  6. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    01.26.12
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    708
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speates View Post
    The bend/slide part that many do with the whammy bar has been solved already,
    Please show me how to do this. I can never figure this part out.

  7. #5
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,870
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Likes
    5,597
    Liked 7,615 Times in 3,993 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speates View Post
    Eddie sure did not make this song easy to figure out...

    I've been trying to learn "Drop Dead Legs," and I am strangely obsessed with learning to play it EXACTLY like it was on the record (as I am with all songs). The bend/slide part that many do with the whammy bar has been solved already, but looking at tabs and playing the chorus the way it is almost always transcribed, it just doesn't sound right to me. Specifically, the part I don't think is right is the part under the lines "When the night is through, will I still be lovin' you?" It is commonly transcribed as



    But this just feels quite clunky to play (especially the slides!) and I think the chords are wrong. However, now we have live footage!



    Looking at this, he is clearly quite high up on the fretboard playing that part. After some experimentation, careful listening, and studying that video, I have a theory that he is playing something more like



    I'm not confident that this is exactly right, but I think it feels much less clunky to play, it seems to match what EVH does live, and it sounds better. Any thoughts?




    Edit: I forgot to put the 14/12 slide on the second image.
    Yeah, the original transcription looks off, the chords seem weird.
    The second one looks correct & more in line with Ed's playing style.

  8. #6
    Eruption garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,498
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Likes
    343
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    Please show me how to do this. I can never figure this part out.
    Jimi11580 and I figured this part out years ago and I've posted TAB on another thread here in post #65:

    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...=1#post1814362
    Last edited by garbeaj; 07.21.15 at 06:13 PM.

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Drop Dead Legs
    By GSB517 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 07.29.14, 08:08 PM
  2. Drop Dead Legs cover
    By VF5150 in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07.01.11, 07:33 AM
  3. Drop Dead Legs
    By shelookssofngood in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01.05.03, 10:16 AM
  4. Drop Dead Legs
    By Raldo in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12.07.01, 09:16 PM
  5. Drop Dead Legs?
    By bcgvh in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12.14.00, 12:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •