Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:12 PM
    Liked 792 Times in 478 Posts

Default Theory About New Music Delay

Was thinking the other day about this. A year or two ago Dave said he wants VH to put out "new" new music but Eddie doesn't want to, and recently Eddie said the opposite.

Either one's entirely fulla shit--which is likely--or, I think maybe Dave's trying to do the dance/techno thing again. Like '00-'01, where they told him to go fuck himself and he ended up doing "Flex" and "Scarecrow" on his own the next year.

I say this because of the "Jump" remix a couple years ago Dave released on his site. Remember "Everybody jump up/Everybody jump up/Jump up nowww/Jump up nowwww?" In his best "burnin' up the avenowww" voice, too, mind you. Can't believe Eddie's not down with that...

But it actually does surprise me a little because of the "Finish What Ya Started" dance remix in '88. Well, I guess Sammy also was trying to do that as well in the late '80s and early '90s like U2 did and they weren't interested. But with all that experimental "different" stuff they did on VH3 (especially "Once"), why won't he give it a try? I appreciate Dave trying to get them to do something different and new, especially at this age. But it seems maybe he wasn't down the upgrades they did in '12?

Or, maybe Roth wants to do the acoustic-type stuff like "Over the Rainbow Bar & Grill?"

Even better--and here's the solution, Wolfie, if you're reading--put out an album with some of the types of songs Eddie wants to do, some of the types of songs Dave wants to do (like 2 or 3), and rest ADKOT leftovers?

Everybody gets what they want. That's the answer!
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 07.12.15 at 08:06 PM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 573 Times in 314 Posts

Donor

I don't recall Roth saying he wanted to do new music and Eddie didn't.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    I don't recall Roth saying he wanted to do new music and Eddie didn't.
    It was in one of his '13 interviews I believe. Might have been the sports car/lawnmower EVH analogy.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

I do recall Dave saying that. That's why it's hard to take them seriously when they're both saying it's the other person's fault.

Favorite VH Album

All 7
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 218 Posts

Don't know anything about what you mentioned regarding 2000-2001, but I don't think for a second that Dave has any desire to write and release new Van Halen dance/techno music. He fully understands what Van Halen is. This dance music thing seems to have been made into a bigger deal than I think it is lately.

I remember Dave saying in 2012-13 he and Al had let some other people release/mix dance versions of Jump and I think that was more about him illustrating how far reaching Van Halen's music is to "jump" genres, etc. (sorry, I had to)

And while schmoozing at the Billboard red carpet he said he only listened to dance/club music BUT loved playing rock n roll. Nowhere mentioning a desire for VH to release club music.
    Plus if they actually did play that country music award show, you can bet he'd have said something about how he always loved country western music. It's just a line, regardless if it's true. Like how every arena in every city has the "loudest" and "craziest" fans...
    Dave is always selling/marketing himself/VH to the public. It's just part of his job.

I think Ed just said that bullshit about "3 members like rock and 1 likes dance music" as something to say to a reporter who asked about why there's no new album. It was already in the press from the red carpet interview and probably on one of Ed's Google alerts, so he just threw that in there.

Someone may or may not like eggs, but it shouldn't matter to them if the eggs are simply used as one of several ingredients in a batter to make chocolate cake.
    "I ain't complainin', you do the best with what you got."

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 16,580 Times in 9,404 Posts

I think the real issue with new music is there simply isn't any money it.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

9. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I dunno, maybe. I appreciate whatever VH does, but there are other classic bands that continue to do new albums or new rare old stuff all the time.
    Case in point, Rolling Stones are on tour for a reissue/remastered release of the Sticky Fingers album. They had several formats/packages to choose from that came with extra stuff and another cd or record of alternate versions and live versions of songs.
    Plus, at the same time they released Live At The Marquee to compliment it, which was a live concert featuring the songs from 1971 before Sticky Fingers officially came out. This album also has a bonus Dvd of that live concert.
    Plus, the first show of this current 2015 tour was recorded and released 5 weeks later as yet another compliment to the Sticky Fingers reissue. And they have mentioned in recent interviews the desire to go into the studio to make a new album soon.

My point is that all this can be done and done very, very well and by old bands (they're in their 70s) so waiting on VH to slowly release new stuff can definitely be frustrating.

That being said, the new live album is still in heavy rotation in my truck, but as good as this tour is sounding, I wish they'd just do some quick digital releases of some of the shows or something until we get a new studio album.
    Last edited by Tbone; 07.12.15 at 10:34 PM.

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    I remember Dave saying in 2012-13 he and Al had let some other people release/mix dance versions of Jump and I think that was more about him illustrating how far reaching Van Halen's music is to "jump" genres, etc. (sorry, I had to)

And while schmoozing at the Billboard red carpet he said he only listened to dance/club music BUT loved playing rock n roll. Nowhere mentioning a desire for VH to release club music.
    Plus if they actually did play that country music award show, you can bet he'd have said something about how he always loved country western music. It's just a line, regardless if it's true. Like how every arena in every city has the "loudest" and "craziest" fans...
    Dave is always selling/marketing himself/VH to the public. It's just part of his job.
    Great point, he said he just listened to dance music, Ed dwelled on it in his interview, Dave'll say whatever he has to say to market VH as he's always done even back in the day, so you may very well be right. But some of the vocals from the "Jump" remix were new, to which he contributed. And there's this whole "Eddie doesn't want to make new music" thing...I just wonder what this type of new music is.

Probably, again, one of 'em is fulla shit. Probably our hero, too, which is unfortunate. But they'll do another one soon. I'm confident.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely a big factor. Pretty much why ya got three tours and one record. But there has to be a little more to it than that.

They didn't need to be together to make ADKOT and it got dun. Not sure why it can't be dun again.

I honestly don't think another tour happens without a record, or something to promote. Ed doesn't like doing that.
    He might have to release some old live shows next time.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    I think Ed just said that bullshit about "3 members like rock and 1 likes dance music" as something to say to a reporter who asked about why there's no new album.
    No, Ed said the same thing at his interview at The Smithsonian. I believe it to a certain extent too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 516 Posts

It was never easy to do a record with VH.. in the past with DLR, they have no choice one record /year!! today they have choice et they have at the end of the career..

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 1,948 Times in 917 Posts

Premium Member

I'm starting to think that they BOTH want to make new music. Dave has always been the type to want to record in one take, get the music out there, and then tour. Ed's always wanted to tinker in the studio to make it sound perfect, especially as he got older. So now that they are up in age and the ability to create has diminished, I think they both are more recognizing that divide in their styles both musically and professionally. The 60 yr-old contemporary version of Diamond Dave and the perfectionist, sober Ed are both finding it harder to meet halfway and write some tunes together.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

It's always been the case. Dave has different musical tastes than the VH bros. there's obviously common ground Ed is avoiding right here. You can't throw out random Cream songs and Dave know the words to a couple verses. Or verse and chorus. Without something in common. Dave always wanted the music danceable. So does Billy Gibbons. It's not a radical idea in rock. Dave admits 1996 was tough to find songs he was into and lyrics that worked. It's probably still the case. Dave wants nothing to do with ballads and I'll bet Ed's got ballads coming outta his ass. Songwriting is tough. Bring a guy three or four songs he says no to and you stop trying. Like F him. I'm guessing in today's VH Wolf would send 20 or so songs to Dave to pick and write lyrics for. Then he sends them back and the Van Halens send back things they want changed. And get mad songs they wanted weren't picked. Tension mounts. Production slow or stops.

Stone Temple Pilots in the last attemp with Scott Weiland did this same thing. Sent him songs they thought he'd like and he did his thing and sent them back. Never in the same room together.

I think it was Ed delaying things a few years ago. So now he blames Dave to deflect. It's what he does. I'm suprised he didn't start talking about his hip during his recent everyone not named Van Halen sucks or is weird rant.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All 7
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    No, Ed said the same thing at his interview at The Smithsonian. I believe it to a certain extent too.
    You're 100% right, he did say Dave liked disco during the Smithsonian interview and he might, but that's not what I meant.
    I was trying to say that regardless to whether or not Dave listens to dance music, it certainly hasn't negatively impacted the group's ability in the past to write awesome rock music and release some of the greatest rock albums ever, so I have a hard time believing someone as sharp as Dave would now let that get in the way of new Van Halen tunes.

I mean Eddie said he doesn't listen to music at all and yet he writes pretty amazing rock music. Same thing. We can all agree that whatever those individual ingredients, when put together they make killer rock music.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

I don't think Ed has any desire to write new music for public consumption. I think the failure of VH3, the lackluster reaction to the new tunes on BOBW, and the low sales (compared to the old days) of ADKOT had a much more profound effect on Ed than we realize, especially the reaction to VH3. Ed had never failed before that, and I think it crushed him more ways than any of us know.

Even ADKOT, when he talks about it, he acts sorta pissed that it didn't sell a million copies. His recent comments along the lines of "why put time, blood, guts, and money into recording something that only a few hundred thousand people are going to buy", and "it sucks to see everyone head to the bathroom whenever we play ADKOT stuff live", and "the fans will only accept Roth singing the classic tunes" shows where Ed is really is right now on making new music.

I think he's jazzed about Wolf's album because there's no pressure on him. His ego won't necessarily take a hit if it doesn't do well.

Also, I think that the types of tunes that Ed wants to play nowadays may not jive with Dave's style, which also takes its toll on Ed's desires to record.

I think he's got it in his head that fans only want 78-84 VH. Hence, the effort to remaster and release all the old demos, the effort to release Oakland 81, and then finally the new live album containing only songs from that era. I honestly suspect that Ed thinks the fans don't really want new music.