Favorite VH Album

VHI-VHII-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Now - HoneyBabySweetieDoll
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:36 PM
    Liked 290 Times in 82 Posts

Default Live Sound re: Vocals

Have to say I am enjoying the slow return of most of the '07/'08 DLR... all things being considered since it is 8 years later.

That being said, all annoying yelps and attempts at new melodies aside, after watching a bunch of the vids, I was wondering why the Sound Engineer does not get a bit more creative with Dave?

Add a bit more verb, maybe some delay? A slight chorus, etc... Ride that board and really enhance (mask? smooth over?) some of the areas to give a bit more depth? I think with a bit more concentrated effort from the sound pit, it would just boost the vocals even more and give some color.

My $.02 as a Lead Vocalist... I know when my band Wicked Maraya toured, our Sound Engineer concentrated heavily on the vocals to have them match the CD's, as well as just give the width and depth required for live (and even now when I do sound in my cover band gig, I make sure the vocals are not just dry and flat)... I mean, guitars use distortion, nothing wrong with having the vox a bit "c**ted up" as I like to say...

Really liking alot of what I'm hearing... now excited for West Palm Beach!!!

FALCO
    \m/ \m/
    Wicked Maraya - www.Facebook.com/WickedMaraya / www.WickedMaraya.com
    NEW Wicked Maraya out now!!!
    'Lifetime In Hell' on MASSACRE Records!!!
    *** VIDEO CLIP - Suicidal Dawn *** - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aURvAMKdiPQ

"A little more volume in the headphones please..."

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

Totally agree they really should put some reverb on his vox. That said though he is sounding great on tour I am totally blown away by the band right now.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

I think that a slight dash of outboard 'spice' might be a good thing for Dave.
    It couldn't hurt, as long as it's done in moderation. Like you said, to enhance certain vocal spots during the show.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Dave needs some echo on the "strong magic comin' on!" part of Light Up the Sky. Dave isn't screaming it like he used to but he is hitting a high note there that would sound stronger with the echo. In 1979, they used the echo effect for the scream and it was epic.

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Speaking of screams, have people been noticing Dave throwing in at least some of his "WOW!!" screams in the first few shows? These are the ones he can still do yet pretty convincingly, and he threw in some of them during the recent tv broadcasts. I recall he did a few even during the Kimmel sound-check. I know I heard him do one while watching a recent concert youtube, perhaps from the 7/11 show, but now I forget which song it was. It would be great if he threw in a few during DDL at the right spots, not that I'm complaining. He is using that high voice in certain spots but he mostly seems to be going lower if he needs to. That's the norm for pretty much any older classic rock singer, go lower, not higher than the original melody! I'm still perplexed by the beginning of DTNA, because the original vocal melody kicks ass and I can't see why he even wants to change it up. I bought the VHII album on release day and I'll be honest, I used to skip DTNA quite often back then because it wasn't as tough sounding as many of the other songs. But I have really grown to appreciate that song over the years.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 23 Posts

im sure he does not like to use the classic scream as often because it sounds "blocked" but sometimes they work !
    I'd rather listen to a raspy failed blocked attempt of a high scream instead of the new "go go go" wuw" yelps.
    please scream Dave !!!

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    im sure he does not like to use the classic scream as often because it sounds "blocked" but sometimes they work !
    I'd rather listen to a raspy failed blocked attempt of a high scream instead of the new "go go go" wuw" yelps.
    please scream Dave !!!
    Check 2:55 i wish he try and do this "blocked " classic screams again

GREAT GREAT Unchained !!!

Last edited by sammy; 07.13.15 at 09:46 AM.

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

1:46 he lets a scream out.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    1:46 he lets a scream out.
    Glad to hear it, and he actually let two fly right there around 1:46. I believe he did another one at 3:28 but there was feedback from the mic. Still can't find the other vid where I saw him do one right before one of Ed's solos, but it's a moot point. Seems like he has brought the "WOW!!" scream along for the ride in 2015. He did them all over in 2007 / 2008 (listen to any performance of I'm The One that tour), sparingly in 2012 but some really good ones, and in 2013 I don't believe he did a single one. It's one of Dave's remaining signature vocal sounds and I hope he never loses it as long as he is still performing. And "Sammy" good to see your comments here regarding vocals. I still remember the audio clip you did a number of months ago where you let the '81 Oakland HAIL DLR scream fly!

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars
    Last Online

Thanks Don, yes im always watching for them im sure Dave is still capable but he does not believe it !
    My nickname is Sammy because my real name is Sam, im no Hagar fan which is funny.
    I could be a great Dave vocal coach but im not sure if he would listen. I would bring the ferocious wild
    raspy and bluesy pre-90's Dave back with no effort. He still got it, in fact i don't think the Live
    album was a good representation of Dave, he can do better, but he thinks that was better!
    The higher range does not kill me (even though when i heard night live and Cant get this stuff no more
    i was impressed back in the day) he needs to bring back the classic screams and the bluesy tone.

20. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Thanks Don, yes im always watching for them im sure Dave is still capable but he does not believe it !
    My nickname is Sammy because my real name is Sam, im no Hagar fan which is funny.
    I could be a great Dave vocal coach but im not sure if he would listen. I would bring the ferocious wild
    raspy and bluesy pre-90's Dave back with no effort. He still got it, in fact i don't think the Live
    album was a good representation of Dave, he can do better, but he thinks that was better!
    The higher range does not kill me (even though when i heard night live and Cant get this stuff no more
    i was impressed back in the day) he needs to bring back the classic screams and the bluesy tone.
    Thanks for the explanation on your account name. I thought it was some kind of tongue in cheek joke. heh heh I doubt Dave would listen to any type of vocal coach, and who knows, it might not turn out well regardless. Other classic rock singers have used a vocal coach to learn how to sing "properly" later in their careers, only to lose a bit more of what made them unique to begin with. I think you're right that Dave believe his current approach is better than his original CVH-style vocals. I don't think that anyone is looking for Dave to do a ten second outro scream on Everybody Wants Some!! in 2015, although it would surely bring the house down if he were capable of doing it. I have another theory on his high voice at least part of the time, in that it helps him "blow out" his throat / vocal chords so that his voice works better in the lower registers for a period of time afterward. You know, like the old "Italian tuneup" people used to do with cars. And perhaps there is an element of Dave where he feels he has matured away from lengthy screams. I recall an old interview with John Entwistle where he kind of bristled at the notion someone would ask him specifically about his playing on Quadrophenia, and he said that was my playing in 1973 and I'd rather talk about how I play now.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Dave did have vocal coaching before the 2007 tour if I understood right. I believe that I read that here somewhere if not mistaken. It would seem so, given the fact that he never sang better than that tour. Perhaps he's more open to the idea than we think. Dave's problem is that he doesn't rehearse. When you have fans showing up and paying exorbitant ticket prices, they expect great results right out of the gate. He seems to be trying more to get things right, but it's taking him a few shows in to get there at the audiences expense. Not exactly fair of him.

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post
    Dave did have vocal coaching before the 2007 tour if I understood right. I believe that I read that here somewhere if not mistaken. It would seem so, given the fact that he never sang better than that tour. Perhaps he's more open to the idea than we think. Dave's problem is that he doesn't rehearse. When you have fans showing up and paying exorbitant ticket prices, they expect great results right out of the gate. He seems to be trying more to get things right, but it's taking him a few shows in to get there at the audiences expense. Not exactly fair of him.
    I recall reading the same thing about a vocal coach prior to the 2007 tour, but it may have been someone's educated guess on the forum which eventually came to be accepted as fact. I also recall reading that he used steroids to strengthen his voice prior to that tour, and that this is a trick that can work to a degree for singers. Again, may have been someone's educated guess based on his 2007 performances. Seems like he just rehearsed for the role of VH singer much more thoroughly prior to that tour. He had a lot of years to prepare for the role. Pretty sure that you're correct about Dave not rehearsing very often before the tour now, and about the high expectations of the fans paying the ticket prices. The first "X" number of shows ARE probably the full band rehearsals. And you know the power trio rehearses the shit out of their instrumentals and backing vocals well in advance of any tour. Then again they are family... ha

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

It's not a Van Halen show without the DLR scream WoWW! in there. A few kicks from him are nice too, but I understand he's old. Those are the things I want to see from him.

And he rehearses. Too much I think. Guy could have built 5 studios with the money he throws away at Henson Studios. Dave has always been the guy who pushes the band to rehearse before gigs/tours. And he's there. Trust me. Not as often as the Van Halens. But they all rehearse together. I think it's a point of pride for him to keep his body and voice ready for anything at all times. Now sound checks are a different story. It's rare to see him at those. Why blow out your voice a few hours before a show?

Disclaimer. All the above applies to VH. 2000ish era DLR Band, Dave did not rehearse with the band for tours. He left it all up to Ray Luzier. Including picking guitar players. He'd show up just before the tour. Half ass his way through a few songs to see for himself if the band was in shape. And that's the extent of it. So maybe that's where it comes from that Dave doesn't rehearse with the band. He didn't back then. Absolutely does with VH.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars
    Last Online

When he was doing The Roth Show i was waiting for some "Voice & Screams" episode, where did he learn to sing,
    his vocal tricks, but never happened. Would love to know if he still has most of the classic wardrobe.

27. The Following Member Likes This Post: