Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.19 @ 07:53 AM
    Liked 3,449 Times in 1,702 Posts

Premium Member

Still a lot of work to do, but I thought I would share some pics of what I've done so far and the near disasters...

I've used sand paper and a razor blade to get some work done on the front. You probably have to zoom in on this picture to see most of the detail, but you get idea.

With flash:

Without flash:

I still have to yellow it a bit, dirty the cavities, and add the cig burns, but it's mostly there.

Now for the near disaster. So we all know about the fading of the paint on the back and the top of the elbow contour. On the front I was able to get that look by lightly sanding down the red until the white began to show. On the back, you don't get that same luxury since there is black underneath some of the red (where that red starts to look white on the real deal).

So what's a guy with no real ability and limited equipment to do? I masked off the lines with tape and most of the back of the guitar with paper towels and lightly misted the same white paint used earlier. I immediately panicked when I saw the result.

I tore off a piece of paper towel to quickly wipe it off. FUCK. It dried in about 4 seconds. So then I had a guitar with noticeable lines where there was mist and not, and to make matters worse, the white spray had landed much more uniform than I'd hoped.

Faced with the reality that the countless hours of work was just flushed down the drain, I decided to lightly sand the transitions and see if I could rescue it. THANK GOD it mostly worked. In fact, after I had sanded back most of it, I was a little disappointed that I didn't add more paint. Maybe I can try again this weekend fueled with a little liquid courage

Anyway, here's the back.

With flash:

Without flash:

I still have a lot more work to do on the edges and back of the guitar, but it's starting to get the vibe.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 05:18 AM
    Liked 728 Times in 361 Posts

Great job, Bsbll4!
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 15,279 Times in 6,615 Posts

Looks awesome! Great job watching this progress.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

5150 / 1984
    Favorite VH Song

BOBW / Panama
    Last Online

02.11.19 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 244 Times in 91 Posts

It looks awesome man! I love the flow of it! Great job!!
    Now comes my favorite part of the show. It's my favorite part of the whole evening. We've been on tour since March and I have no better time anytime then right now because I get to go sit down, have myself a nice cold one and listen to the greatest rock n'roll guitar player in the world. Mr. Eddie Van Halen. - Sammy Hagar

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 8,559 Times in 6,159 Posts

Premium Member

Really good job on it so far!
    Love watching these in progress installments, and seeing the guitar come to life. Awesome work on the relicing.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

06.07.18 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 318 Times in 169 Posts

Dude, in my honest opinion, that thing looks outstanding! Well done!

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 09:37 AM
    Liked 1,943 Times in 910 Posts

That looks amazing. You're doing an incredible job with it. Well done.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it!!

So as I mentioned I wasn't satisfied with the original result of the near-disasterous white mist, so i decided to break out my 2 year old daughter's paint again and see what kind of results I could get.

After mixing up some paint and testing on a separate piece of wood, I figured I would give it a whirl on the guitar. Here's my work station again:

So here was my method:

1) mix paint

2) lightly apply paint onto the guitar in the red areas using a brush, almost stabbing it on there

3) dab the paint on the guitar repeatedly with a balled-up paper towel until it I could get the right texture and fade.

More progress:

I was pleasantly surprised at how natural it ended up looking. After finishing that process up in various areas of the guitar, I went back and drilled the holes (and the superfluous ones) in the heel and upper horn and added the eye hooks. I also went back with a fine tooth comb and added some muck to areas of the guitar that looked a little too fresh for a 30 years old beater guitar.

I still want to yellow/brown certain areas of the guitar and I think I still have a few holes to drill in the body of the guitar, but I'm mostly done with the relicing and painting portion on the guitar of this project until I get to the blue paint.

This is the best lighting I could find on short notice...

Front:

Back:

So there it is for now. Here's what I still need to do:

1) Cut pickguard and relic it along with the tone knob

2) Order pickup, relic it

3) Find a 71 Quarter, relic it

4) Brown/Yellow guitar and add cig burns to guitar body and neck(I don't smoke and never have, so that should be interesting)

5) Dirty pickup cavities

6) Add reflectors

7) Add blue paint

8) Tung oil the neck to seal the grime

9) Install neck, hardware, pickups, and solder

10) String it up and turn it to 11

16. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

A few updates to share:

- I yellowed the paint this past week with Createx Yellow Opaque paint. It's a very delicate process where you have to lightly dab it onto the areas you want and then relatively quickly wipe it with a clean cloth (or paper towel) to take most of the residue off. What remains is a hint of nicotine yellow.

- I also installed the dummy pickup. I noticed it sits higher than the body due to the pickup not being the real deal (I stole it from my old Squier) and it has the posts and additional magnets on the bottom preventing a flush fit. I don't anticipate this being an issue once I string it up, but if it bothers me enough I can always by the real deal for another $50.

- I dirtied up the pickup cavities by masking everything off, light spraying some white paint where there was too much red, waited for it to dry, sprayed some hair spray into the cavities and added a mixture of goop into the edges. I used a mixture of graphite powder, dirt from outside, dust, and a tiny amount of some white shavings from exposed dry wall.

Here's the shot of the front:

Here's a shot of the back (I realized I forgot to take a picture right after I added the first reflector, so that's why there's a random one on there):

My wife said "Every time I see that thing it looks worse." I told her "That's the point." She just shook her head.

Then I added the reflector (including the broken one)

Continued below...

18. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

- I also drilled some holes all over the guitar in the appropriate places. I think I might need to add a couple more still on the back.

- I cut the pick guard this weekend so it's mostly ready to install.

- On Saturday I went to pick up some donuts for the family and had to pay cash. My change was 36 cents. When I got to my car I checked the quarter to see the year. Boom! 1971. I test drilled a quarter this weekend to see how exactly I would be going about it and discovered that I could drill the holes easily enough, but I needed more tools to get the gouge in the "I" in "Liberty." So I borrowed my brothers Dremel tool and cut a little notch. I'll drill the real deal this week.

I still need to order the pickup and the brass block and I'll hopefully do that this week. Progress!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

I think I made my final major purchases last night.

EVH Frankenstein humbucker: $117
    Floyd Rose 37mm brass block: $25

Still need to get some tung oil for the neck, but it's going to come down to assembly once everything is in!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

The pickup came in the mail on Saturday! I don't have a soldering iron so I had to wait until I saw my brothers yesterday to get those things together. Our time was cut short so we were only able to change out the base plate, but I now have the materials to finish the job.

I attached the neck this weekend and strung it up to test out the playability. Immediately there were issues. Every single string fretted out on every fret. Crap. I realized that not having the neck under string tension for a few months had caused it to need a serious truss rod adjustment. After a few tries I was able to get the strings to fret properly 1-22, but the middle strings still had significant buzz when played open.

I switched out the nut to the one that came with the new Floyd (there was a previous R2 nut on there from when I bought it) and added another shim under the nut. That seemed to fix the issue along with slightly raising the pivot screws on the floyd to raise the bridge. I'm hoping I can make some more adjustments to get the action a little lower to my liking, but we'll wait until everything is set up for good.

As a side note, this guitar is heavy. I'm sure some people probably prefer a lighter guitar, but this thing just feels significant when you pick it up.

Last Online

02.15.19 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 426 Times in 256 Posts

Dude, that looks great! I've got a secret plan to do a super low budget Kramer beak neck Franky. Seeing your project makes me not want to do it. There's way too much involved! And I've looked for years for a 1971 quarter. Never found one.

Your attention to detail and overall work is very impressive.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    Dude, that looks great! I've got a secret plan to do a super low budget Kramer beak neck Franky. Seeing your project makes me not want to do it. There's way too much involved! And I've looked for years for a 1971 quarter. Never found one.

Your attention to detail and overall work is very impressive.
    Thanks! I guess from the outside this could look like hard work, but I've fully embraced this as a hobby. I've really enjoyed the process and I'm not going to lie--I'm going to be a little sad when I'm done.

I would strongly encourage anyone to try this. It's really a lot of fun and if you aren't concerned about how long it takes you can take your time and enjoy it.

My wife will be glad when it's over, though, so there's that

Last Online

02.17.19 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 4,269 Times in 1,619 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

bsbll4, this is looking so solid. I don't think you should be sad when you're done with it. Embrace the new hobby and move on to another replica! (Apologies to the wife. )