Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

04.19.19 @ 07:40 AM
    Liked 3,520 Times in 1,740 Posts

Premium Member

Just a minor update as I haven't had a chance to sand down the grain filler or paint yet. I went out to my local craft store to buy some relicing solution, but they weren't carrying what I was looking for. Instead, I picked up some paint that looked like it would work for the CRL switch.

Unfortunately, what the sticker on the top of the bottle looked like and what the final color looked like were drastically different. It ended up being far too red to look right:

So I used some of my daughter's paints to mix together a new coat. I used the same red color, but added a little orange and green to muddy it up. After painting it again, it looks perfect:

It actually looks a little brighter in that picture than it does to my eye, but you get the idea. Now I just need to relic it and snap it in the right spot.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

No pictures to update as I haven't accomplished much of anything this week. I just ordered my custom neck plate (eBay), correct reflectors (eBay), and tape (Amazon). I sanded back the grain filler this week. I used a heavy grit sand paper and I think I "kicked up" some of the grain in the process. I went back with a finer grit and got it smooth again. It will be interesting to see what happens when I lay black on this.

I still need to get the 1971 quarter (I think I've found every year besides 71) and the pickup. I'm learning towards getting an EVH Frankenstein humbucker pickup but I'm just keeping my eyes peeled for the best deal.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

A couple of upates:

1) I started painting the black after completely sanding the body. Here's some pictures of the start:

First coat:

Even after grain filler and 3 light coats the grain was still pretty heavy, so I did some light sanding to even out the rough spots. I ran out of black paint on the 4th coat so I'll need to pick up a new can tomorrow, but it's progress

2) I decided I would try my hand at beginning of the relic process on the neck. I grabbed some graphite powder, some tape, and an old tube sock....oh, and a beer of course!

I've seen several means of doing this, but I thought I would try one that I hadn't really seen, though I'm sure has been done. I roughly taped up the parts of the neck that wouldn't see the grime so as to leave them clean so I could rough in the powder.

After that I applied the graphite powder and tried to really grind it up against the frets.

Then I peeled the tape:

Obviously the lines are impractically exact, to I went pack with my hand in the same tube sock and tried to smooth over the edges and even it out:

I'm still tweaking things here and there to remove some of the heavier spots and keep the middle of the fret spaces clean. Overall I think it looks cool and I'll have to later seal it with some Tung Oil.

3) I have some old pickups laying around and some white pickup covers, so I thought I would try my hand painting it to see how it looks. If it sucks I'll pop for the red dummy pickup off of Ebay, but I figured I had the materials already purchased so it was worth a shot. Waiting for the first coat to dry and I'll add pictures later if it's worth it.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

As I mentioned in my previous post, I tried painting an old pickup I had laying around from my Squier. It even came complete with the black and white wiring. I scored the the top with a coarse grain sandpaper to make it look like it was cloth and painted over top of it.

I had to cut the pickup cover to make it look like the real thing and received my first injury of this build: I sliced the tip of my thumb open with a razor blade. Luckily the pickup is red so it hides the blood well

Anyway, here's the result of painting a few coats and cutting it to size.

I may still end up popping for the real thing, but I think once everything is put together and dirtied up it's going to be hard to tell anyway.

I went to Advance Auto Parts to pick up another can of Universal Black, and of course they were out of it Had to order it in from another store and I should be picking it up tonight. That means I will be able to finish painting the black by the end of the week and hopefully the tape will come in before Saturday so I can start the real fun

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

So I finally got the new can of paint and put two more coats of paint on last night.

I'm debating sanding back the grain hard and re-painting several coats or just adding one more coat and calling it a day. I like a little grain, but there seems to be a lot in places where you'll see it on the black stripes. I know that the white and red would fill in the rest, but I'm just not sure how much grain I want.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

09.25.18 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 5,164 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    So I finally got the new can of paint and put two more coats of paint on last night.

I'm debating sanding back the grain hard and re-painting several coats or just adding one more coat and calling it a day. I like a little grain, but there seems to be a lot in places where you'll see it on the black stripes. I know that the white and red would fill in the rest, but I'm just not sure how much grain I want.

Grain was a big issue for mine. I like to see em smoother (even tho Ed's did have some grain I suppose.)

But I didn't build my own ;-)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Finally back at it after a little delay. Here's what has happened since my last post:

No, this isn't the same picture as above, I swear. This was after lightly sanding back and spraying a couple more coats.

I decided I was going to do a heavier sand back and try again with a whole new can of paint. I bought two cans just in case

Ahhhhhh....much better

Time for some tape...

Continued below...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

My work station:

Hey little buddy. You and I are going to become GREAT friends...

First go at the front relic tape

First go at back relic

Continued below...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

So after initially taping for the black/white relic I noted some issues with the placement of a couple stripes. I went back and did some subtle corrections.

I also noticed an issue with the "mustache" or "gull wing" or whatever the hell that squiggle is called. It was a little too big for my liking.

After looking through a few build threads I realized that some of the stuff I was taping off wasn't necessary--I would end up relicing it by hand anyway and it would look more natural that way. As a result I took off some of the smaller bits of tape where I thought it was appropriate.

Second go at front relic taping:

Second go at back relic (where I noticed the most issues)

So anyone notice any major issues before I spray white? I'm hoping to do it tonight, but we'll see how soon I can get out of the office (I took off yesterday to recover from the VH concert on Sunday so my desk is a bit backlogged at the moment).

Any constructive thoughts/insights/criticisms are welcomed

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.23.19 @ 04:21 AM
    Liked 15,722 Times in 6,832 Posts

Looks really good to me!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

04.23.19 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 4,331 Times in 1,646 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

In my opinion you have the *perfect* amount of grain showing on the black. I'm not a fan of too much grain. Nicely done.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    In my opinion you have the *perfect* amount of grain showing on the black. I'm not a fan of too much grain. Nicely done.
    Thanks!

It's very subtle on the main parts of the guitar, but you can see it heavier where the neck plate is. I was lazy and didn't sand that down as hard because I had a board bolted on for painting, but there's definitely still some grain on the rest of the guitar, especially the sides (where you see it the most on the real deal).

By the time the red goes on there won't be much grain at that level, but you'll be able to see it in the black stripes for sure and maybe the white.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

It was too damn hot to paint last night. The heat index in St. Louis yesterday got up to 117. Dream project or not, a man (and his paint) has his limits.

Since I was stuck inside I made a few minor corrections to the tape on heavily worn spots on the back. Nothing major and I'm the only one that would probably notice them anyway--but those of you who built these things know how that goes.

I got some of the Sophisticated Finishes Rust Antiquing solution in the mail yesterday. It's actually a 2 part system. One bottle has the iron surfacer (basically just iron particles suspended in a paintable solution). The second bottle has the oxidizer.

I put some on the CRL switch last night before I went to bed but nothing happened. Before I left for work this morning I added some more oxidizer but I'm guessing it won't work since the metallic surfacer was dry. The bottles don't come with directions so I had to look it up online. Apparently you have to add the oxidizer while the surfacer is still tacky and wet. However, I had an old screw laying around that I put some surfacer and oxidizer on as a test and I did those when it was still wet, but nothing happened there either. Even more strange is that the knife I used to open the packages (the yellow one seen above) got a little solution on it and changed colors, so it does work apparently. Very confusing...

I'm hoping to paint tonight as long as the weather isn't too bad, and between coats I'll work on that rust solution to see if I can make it work.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Finally got to painting the white and was able to get some results with the rust.

Here's the jack that I did last night:

I think it will look great when I beat it up some more and put it together.

At the same time, I'm still getting mixed reactions on the CRL after several attempts. Here's the latest:

It's okay and I still have to concentrate on the other smaller areas, but I was hoping to get a more uniform rust to it so I can take it back with some light sanding. Oh well, we'll see how it looks put together and decide from there.

As for the painting, I did 3 coats of Wimbledon White and this was the result:

I waited about 20 minutes for the paint to be dry enough to handle, and then... (continued below)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

I took off the tape. Always a great moment. The tape come up nice and easy, there's was barely any bleed (I was able to scrape off what little there was), and there was no peeling where it shouldn't.

Here's the front:

And the back:

Now I get to scrape/drill/smack/etc. the hell out of it

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: