Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Default 2nd show in and Dave is sounding so much better!

Wow. He does so much better when he sings from the gut and not that nasil-e nose-throat thing Bon Jovi has been doing for 20 years.

Looking good Dave, sounding better. I know it uses more energy to sing from the gut, and I give you props for doing it. It sounds better and I think it fires up the band more.

It's heading toward Awesome!

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Things Change View Post
    Wow. He does so much better when he sings from the gut and not that nasil-e nose-throat thing Bon Jovi has been doing for 20 years.

Looking good Dave, sounding better. I know it uses more energy to sing from the gut, and I give you props for doing it. It sounds better and I think it fires up the band more.

It's heading toward Awesome!
    I think Dave is working it out. He seems to know how to strengthen his voice when it starts to go in places. The second show, he seemed to be losing the midrange during Chinatown and it lasted through I'll Wait and Little Guitars, but he figured it out. You'll notice during the end of Little Guitars in Ridgefield that he keeps yelling instead of doing the "Ooo ooo ooo ooo" part. It sounded like crap and I don't know why he did it into the mic, but he was trying to clear the frog out of his throat by force blending his head and chest voice. It seemed to work as he was okay the rest of the show. He was much better the Concord show. I think if he stays away from the cigs, he'll handle this tour fine. Hopefully he was just hacking up the remainder of the tar in the first few shows...haha.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

In the vids I've seen he doesn't seem to be doing the gum-chewing thing anymore either.

His big grin looks more natural for him too. More like the old days, than the extreme, somewhat disfiguring, grin he's had the last few years.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:03 PM
    Liked 1,944 Times in 914 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
    His big grin looks more natural for him too. More like the old days, than the extreme, somewhat disfiguring, grin he's had the last few years.
    I've notice this too... even during Kimmel he was doing his huge grin. It's almost like he's off the blow and back on the weed...

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:52 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    I've notice this too... even during Kimmel he was doing his huge grin. It's almost like he's off the blow and back on the weed...
    OMG, that just made me laugh!

Cheers
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

little guitars
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 23 Posts

He is definetely improving

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

I read a book on acting when I was in my 20's. I moved out to L.A. and was gonna give it a shot, but anyway the book was written by Michael Caine and he mentioned that in about 1965 he was new to acting and he was getting off a helicopter somewhere and ran into John Wayne. Michael Caine said to the Duke..."Do you have any advice?" and Duke replied..."Talk Low and Slow..........Low and Slow."

This is when Dave sounds best, when he sings it that way.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 148 Times in 94 Posts

I'm so SOOO sorry guys....I'm still HATING it. I think he's horrible! I watched all of the vids, what is with the judo poses and fake weight lifting!? I know I'm in the minority here, but I ain't diggin it.

P.S. Since the "deep cuts" are being done for the old fans, I would think during Romeos Delight, a funny thing to say would be "I REMEMBERED THE FUCKING WORDS!!!" I know I would laugh

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:03 PM
    Liked 1,944 Times in 914 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jack5150 View Post
    I'm so SOOO sorry guys....I'm still HATING it. I think he's horrible! I watched all of the vids, what is with the judo poses and fake weight lifting!? I know I'm in the minority here, but I ain't diggin it.

P.S. Since the "deep cuts" are being done for the old fans, I would think during Romeos Delight, a funny thing to say would be "I REMEMBERED THE FUCKING WORDS!!!" I know I would laugh
    No need to be sorry. But what the fuck do the judo poses and weight lifting moves have to do with the OP of him sounding better singing from his gut on this tour so far?

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    He is definetely improving

Wow - smokin!

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

I have to add............I just watched "I'll Wait" in the Irvine thread and the best I think I have ever heard it done live. Dave was singing it like on the record for the most part.
    I know Eddie has said that he didn't like how Dave sang low and had to play songs in lower keys, But.......Eddie,.......Work with your Boy! I think Ed played it in a lower key and the harmonies were lower, but didn't have to be to sound good they could have stayed high. That's part of the reason people love Van Halen, is the unique sound. It seems that SOUND has been lost for a long time, I finally seen and heard it again this tour.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

Man, I hate to do this, but I have to be truthful. What happened with Dave's singing and lyrics. I was way up after the 2nd and 3rd show. Now after watching the last couple of shows I feel like Dave just isn't that into it. It's like he doesn't care enough to do the songs the right way, or take time to listen to the old songs (the ones they are playing live) and sing them with the enthusiasm that they convey on the recordings. I could understand a 60 year old roofer not being able to remember the specifics of a roof he did back in 1982, because he probably doesn't care and has probably done thousands of roofs since the 80's. But for a lead singer in one of Rocks most influential bands to forget words, and the way the song is sung, to totally turn a diamond into a turd is mind boggling. I was very sad to hear the band launch into many songs at the Kansas show and to see and hear Dave turn it into something very very bland, something more than bland.....something painful.
    I can't believe I sit and watch songs like Drop Dead Legs and Feel your love tonight and feel like I have just been served a watered down drink.
    Last edited by Things Change; 07.24.15 at 03:18 AM.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

He's like a box of chocolates you don't know which Dave you will get. Ed and Al on the other hand......
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

I wonder if it would be better if the audience got to vote on whether they got their money money back at the end of the night? He might be a little less Gump.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Things Change View Post
    Man, I hate to do this, but I have to be truthful. What happened with Dave's singing and lyrics. I was way up after the 2nd and 3rd show. Now after watching the last couple of shows I feel like Dave just isn't that into it. It's like he doesn't care enough to do the songs the right way, or take time to listen to the old songs (the ones they are playing live) and sing them with the enthusiasm that they convey on the recordings. I could understand a 60 year old roofer not being able to remember the specifics of a roof he did back in 1982, because he probably doesn't care and has probably done thousands of roofs since the 80's. But for a lead singer in one of Rocks most influential bands to forget words, and the way the song is sung, to totally turn a diamond into a turd is mind boggling. I was very sad to hear the band launch into many songs at the Kansas show and to see and hear Dave turn it into something very very bland, something more than bland.....something painful.
    I can't believe I sit and watch songs like Drop Dead Legs and Feel your love tonight and feel like I have just been served a watered down drink.
    Not to be overly critical, but I do see some of what you are referring to. I was thinking the other day, what if Dave sang like 2007 more or less this entire tour, what would people even have to discuss regarding each show? heh heh No worries about that happening I guess. He still sounds better than 2012 for the most part, and yes the singers usually fare worse than any other band member in a classic rock band that's been around for decades. But most of the things he is doing incorrectly are of his choosing, not physical limitations due to age. We already know that if he wants to sing like the recorded versions he is able to do that. Sounds to me like he's trying to experiment with the vocal melody of IASR like he has done with DTNA for the past few years. And I believe it was at the KS show, he was fooling around with his jacket and missed the first "Drop" in DDL. He came in "Dead legs"... If I am paying the prices to sit near the stage (or hell anywhere) I want to hear him start the song by singing "Drop Dead Legs". I will say from past experience though, and others have said this as well- especially if you're sitting within the first ten or so rows, the enormous blast of the music washes over you and you don't really think very much about what Dave is or is not doing. Seems like most of that stuff mainly comes out in the youtube cellphone vids since the vocals are way out front when you watch that way.