Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Mad Professor 1

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default Mad Professor 1

I've been primarily using a BSIAB II pedal with my PRS SE30 amp to generate my dirty channel tones with great success. I'd heard great things about the Wampler Pinnacle, and the Mad Professor 1 pedal for accomplishing the same kinds of tones. I had considered buying one of them, but with a $200.00 price tag, I just couldn't justify the purchase, since I already had a great sounding "Brown" pedal.

I walked into the local GC, and saw that they had a traded in MP1 pedal for $79.00. At that price, I couldn't pass it up, so I bought it on the spot. I got it home and put it in my pedal board chain next to my BSIAB II and compared them.

I can get the two pedals to achieve almost identical tones and distortion if I tweak the knobs on them both. The MP1 has a lot more gain overhead, and a lot more highs than the BSIAB II. The MP1 gets you closer to the 5150 amp gain and tones than the BSIAB II will. The BSIAB II seems to achieve a more convincing early VH gain and tone, while the MP1 seems to be more like the later DLR era to Sammy era sound. You have to dial the "brown" and the Presence down quite a bit on the MP1 to get to that early era VH stuff, but it does it really well.

I didn't replace the BSIAB II pedal with the MP1 pedal, but put it on the pedal board to use for a different, heavier kind of dirt sound with more presence. BSIAB II will now be used for more of the 70's classic rock stuff that we play, and the MP1 will be for when I want it to be more of an 80's to early 90's guitar sound.

If you aren't into building pedals, and you want the Brown Sound into the clean channel of an amp, I would say this is the one to get. It can get the BSIAB II tones as well, but it doesn't seem like you can shape the tone as well with the MP1 as you can with the BSIAB II's contour knob. It's kind of a 1 trick pony pedal, but it does that trick very well.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

This was talked about in my "Distortion Pedals in front of the amp?" thread...

Not sure if you've browsed through it, but there are lots of good suggestions by several of our members who actually play guitar and have used different combinations of the gear that's talked about.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

Yeah, forgot about that thread. I actually contributed to it a while back with the same recommendations pretty much. I guess the main difference between then and now is that I've now had the opportunity to play the MP1 through my rig with my settings, and A/B the MP1 against the BSIAB II side-by-side. I think it's a great combination to have both on the pedal board to be able to quickly jump between an early VH sound to a more modern higher gain VH sound.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing when I came across Pete Thorn's demo video of the MP1. Not to be confused with the old staple ADA MP-1 preamp, of course! Haha.
    The pedal sounded really good (if you can play those licks/riffs), and I was stoked to try it.

Another poster chimed in about having the reverb right after the distortion, but before any other effects... Might not be such a great tone. Have you experimented with that yet - or do you only use reverb, or bypass the reverb?
    Or do they make a "dry" version with only the gain structure and controls?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

I just have the reverb on the pedal turned all the way down. I don't typically use a lot of reverb. I have my amp's reverb turned down very low, barely audible. I mostly depend on my delay and chorus. I just have the delay set for a little echo and turned down very low also. If I combine my delay and reverb too much, I find it makes the tone too muddy for higher distortion stuff.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Cool. Good to know.
    Btw, congrats on the pedal. It does sound very good for VH stuff.