Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,787 Times in 6,533 Posts

Premium Member

Default Memphis City Council unanimously votes to dig up Confederate general, wife

Late Tuesday, the Memphis, Tennessee, City Council voted unanimously to dig up the remains of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife, Talking Points Memo reported Wednesday. The council also voted to remove a statue placed in Forrest's honor. The move came after Mayor A.C. Wharton called for the bodies to be dug up and relocated.

Tuesday's vote is not the end of the story, however. According to WREG, the Chancery Court would also have to approve the removal of the remains and Forrest's family would also be involved in the decision.

Forrest and his wife are currently buried beneath a statute honoring the general in a park which had been named after him until two years ago. The park is now known as Memphis' Health Sciences Park.

Officials with Elmwood Cemetery -- the location of Forrest's original resting place -- said they would be willing to help move the remains but said they did not want to become the new home of the statue. It is not known where the statue would go if the Tennessee Historic Commission approves its removal. The commission is not set to meet before October.

"It is no longer politically correct to glorify someone who was a slave trader, someone who was a racist, on public property,” said City Council member Myron Lowery. WREG said Lowery spearheaded the effort to remove Forrest, his wife and the statue. The move to relocate Forrest is part of what many now see as a Stalinist effort to purge U.S. history after the tragic shooting in a Charleston, South Carolina church that left nine dead.

Not everyone is celebrating the vote, however. Lee Millar, a spokesperson for the Sons of the Confederate Veterans, said the shooting proves the need for the statue to remain.

“I think it’s disgusting that people use the shooting in Charleston and use those victims to forward their own agenda and join this anti-Confederate hysteria that’s going on,” he said. “To attack something like that now I feel is just really misguided,” he added, calling the response in Memphis and other places a knee-jerk reaction. “The Forrest family is solidly opposed to digging up the graves and moving them any place,” “The statue just as well. They're opposed to moving the statue too.”

Katherine Blalock, an area resident whose great grandfather served with Forrest in the Confederate Army, agreed. “We need to have a coming together of people, not a divide and conquer,” she said.

But it seems that dividing the country is exactly what some want. Not content with removing the Confederate battle flag from the national memory, some now want to see the Jefferson Memorial taken down. Retail stores have yanked the battle flag and the House has voted to forbid sales of the battle flag at National Parks. As we reported Wednesday, one former academic called the U.S. Constitution a Confederate symbol and said it should be edited.

It's difficult to say where the madness will end. One thing is certain, though. Real racism -- not the phony kind liberals see in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich -- will still exist even if Forrest is dug up and his statue removed.

http://www.examiner.com/article/memp...e-general-wife
    http://www.examiner.com/article/memp...e-to-be-ousted
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It is time to start _______ the idiots who think up this bullshit.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,119 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

Well if "slave-trading racist" is the standard, we pretty much have to demolish all kinds of memorials. I'm not saying there may not be other, good reasons, though exhuming bodies seems a tad bit extreme.

The 5% of a cynic in me wonders if this is part of a long play by some to attempt to undermine the entire country as it exists. If you can't be honored because of those reasons, then the same goes for many founding fathers, and if they can't be honored, then you can't honor what they wrote, and Jefferson wrote some really awful things about Blacks, so you can't really honor the Declaration of Independence. Madison owned slaves, so we can't really honor the Constitution, and so on and so forth.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,787 Times in 6,533 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Well if "slave-trading racist" is the standard, we pretty much have to demolish all kinds of memorials. I'm not saying there may not be other, good reasons, though exhuming bodies seems a tad bit extreme.

The 5% of a cynic in me wonders if this is part of a long play by some to attempt to undermine the entire country as it exists. If you can't be honored because of those reasons, then the same goes for many founding fathers, and if they can't be honored, then you can't honor what they wrote, and Jefferson wrote some really awful things about Blacks, so you can't really honor the Declaration of Independence. Madison owned slaves, so we can't really honor the Constitution, and so on and so forth.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:14 AM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

what a fabulous use of limited government resources.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Between the governments arguing over flags, digging up bodies, and funding sex change operations on 15 year olds, does anyone else feel like things are coming apart at the seams? I have to think that the average American is more reasonable than the crazed and power hungry governments they are allowing to run rampant. What's next?
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

That's exactly what I thought, too.

Mount Rushmore is going to look funny when they rip off Washington and Jefferson's faces.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

This just in the south lost the war and at a horrible cost. Revised estimates are now putting the dead near a million on both sides. Whole southern cities were burned and pillaged. Let the monuments be. Why do you think the US Government allowed those monuments to begin with. This will really bring the kooks out and again the law abiding southerners will be scrutinized. We are all Americans and the current division be damned.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    This just in the south lost the war and at a horrible cost. Revised estimates are now putting the dead near a million on both sides. Whole southern cities were burned and pillaged. Let the monuments be. Why do you think the US Government allowed those monuments to begin with. This will really bring the kooks out and again the law abiding southerners will be scrutinized. We are all Americans and the current division be damned.
    It really is ironic that no one alive knew anyone killed or injured in the war, yet this is now an issue.

People have lost their damned minds.

Everyone wants to be a victim it seems.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Yep.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    Between the governments arguing over flags, digging up bodies, and funding sex change operations on 15 year olds, does anyone else feel like things are coming apart at the seams? I have to think that the average American is more reasonable than the crazed and power hungry governments they are allowing to run rampant. What's next?
    What's next you say? Reparations to the ancestors of slaves, restoration of tribal lands, white priveledge tax, outlawing Christianity and branding it as a hate group. etc etc.
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 07.09.15 at 01:29 PM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg