Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 157 Times in 82 Posts

Default Share some effect recommendations

I'm interested in upgrading and adding some effects to my arsenal. I'd like decent quality, but I don't necessarily need high $$$ cork sniffer stuff. My first purchase will definitely be an EVH phase 90.

I currently have -
    Original crybaby
    Bad Monkey
    Danelectro EQ
    Ibanez DE7 delay

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:14 PM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

TC Electronics Spark Mini boost. Put it at the end of your chain when you need to get LOUD.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    TC Electronics Spark Mini boost. Put it at the end of your chain when you need to get LOUD.
    I use the eq pedal in my effects loop for a volume boost.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Depending on weather or not you like any of the Van Hagar era Harmonized tone, then a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble pedal.
    It's not like your typical chorus pedal...You actually have an amazing amount of filter which replicates the Hagar era stuff very well without sounding too sweepy. It's a great unit, and an econo way to get that tone. Just run it through your effects loop ahead of your delay, and play around with it.
    Dude...You absolutely NEED a flanger!
    You don't have to pay a lot, but get a true analog one if you can. They just have that grittier tone that digital ones lack...They sound way better. Look on CL, or Fleabay. MXR is the obvious choice, but the 70's Morley Deluxe Flanger gets the job done. It's basically a copied circuit from the MXR, but actually gives you a bit more range and control. I bought mine about 25 years ago, and it's still going strong.

One cool mod you can do to your existing original Crybaby pedal (to add even more personal flexibility and warmth to your tone (maybe you know of it...)
    You can actually clock the pot off of the rail gear and adjust your sweep range that way giving your tone a very personalized sound.

You just take off the bottom plate, push the pedal all the way forward with the effect engaged and your rig running, and loosen the nylon tensioner loop holding the railgear to the pot's gear, and you just pull the railgear back a bit, and tooth by tooth, rotate the pot until the bright open wah tone is most pleasing to your ear. The tighten the tensioner back up, and rock the pedal back fully to ensure to still have full travel.
    If so, slap the cover back on, and you're done.
    It's a cool mod. I remember often guys complementing my pedal wondering how my Original GCB-95 sounded as warm or warmer without a Fasel inductor typical in the higher end models like the Hendrix.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.08.15 at 09:19 AM.

Last Online

Dunno if this helps, but I get a ton of versatility out of my setup.

I've got:

Line6 Relay G50 wireless -> TC Electronic PolyTune 2 -> heavily modified Vox V847 wah -> GuitarPCB Stage 3 boost -> MXR Custom Comp -> GGG Script Phase90 -> MXR Uni-Vibe (new version) -> MXR Classic Overdrive (GT-OD mode, set dirty) -> MXR Classic Overdrive (ZW OD mode, set low gain, volume up) -> Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe -> Joyo Analog Chorus (small blue one) -> TC Electronic Flashback X4 (presets with basic delay, swirly delay, even swirlier delay) -> Spark Mini

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Dunno if this helps, but I get a ton of versatility out of my setup.

I've got:

Line6 Relay G50 wireless -> TC Electronic PolyTune 2 -> heavily modified Vox V847 wah -> GuitarPCB Stage 3 boost -> MXR Custom Comp -> GGG Script Phase90 -> MXR Uni-Vibe (new version) -> MXR Classic Overdrive (GT-OD mode, set dirty) -> MXR Classic Overdrive (ZW OD mode, set low gain, volume up) -> Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe -> Joyo Analog Chorus (small blue one) -> TC Electronic Flashback X4 (presets with basic delay, swirly delay, even swirlier delay) -> Spark Mini
    How is the Pinnacle? I play through a Marshall DSL, and I'm wondering if the Pinnacle will give me any big difference compared to the DSL's overdrive.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
    How is the Pinnacle? I play through a Marshall DSL, and I'm wondering if the Pinnacle will give me any big difference compared to the DSL's overdrive.
    Interestingly enough, I actually play through a DSL at the rehearsal studio. It sounds pretty good. It's crunchier sounding through a Marshall than it would be through a Fender amp.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If you want a swiss army knife mod pedal check out the TC Electronic Dreamscape. It's got 2 Choruses, 2 Vibratos, and 2 Flanges built in. One of the flangers is modeled after the MXR EVH, and does a great approximation of it. It was close enough to kick my MXR EVH Flanger off the board, especially because it was half the size and only required half the power (9v vs. 18v).

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:05 PM
    Liked 916 Times in 468 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    If you want a swiss army knife mod pedal check out the TC Electronic Dreamscape. It's got 2 Choruses, 2 Vibratos, and 2 Flanges built in. One of the flangers is modeled after the MXR EVH, and does a great approximation of it. It was close enough to kick my MXR EVH Flanger off the board, especially because it was half the size and only required half the power (9v vs. 18v).
    It's cheaper too! I love my EVH MXR though, I think it was my first actual pedal believe it or not. I still only have 3 pedals total due to my use of my Mustang amp (which I need to post some videos on because you all don't believe it can get good sounds).

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:07 AM
    Liked 6,986 Times in 5,019 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I've seen some demos of that pedal, and there's even a local guy selling one.
    I wish there was a tremolo effect on there though. I've been toying with getting another Line 6 MM4, for the trem., and rotary presets, in addition to all the other sounds in there.
    Tremelo for a Crossing Over type of vibe, and rotary for a Not Enough guitar solo-ish sound.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:26 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Replace delay with MXR Carbon Copy, put in effects loop
    Replace your EQ pedal with a MXR Micro Amp +, in the effects loop at the end of the chain for lead boost
    Add a MXR Analog Chorus in the effects loop
    Put a Mad Professor 1 pedal in front of your amp after your Cry Baby and Polytune Pedal that you need to buy.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Care to elaborate?

Last Online

Care to elaborate?
    what would you like to know?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    what would you like to know?
    What would be different about those from what I currently have? Specifically the delay and the eq?

I also forgot to mention, I have an older DOD FX60 chorus pedal.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Last Online

What would be different about those from what I currently have? Specifically the delay and the eq?

I also forgot to mention, I have an older DOD FX60 chorus pedal.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    I've been through a bunch of different types of effects pedals, and the tone and the quality of the effects that I've recommended are so far the best that I've used, to my ears anyway. The operation is extremely noise free.

When I was using individual pedals on a pedal board before, I was using different pedals from different manufacturers. Some used different voltages on the inputs and had different DC jacks, so I would have to use different wall warts to power the different pedals. I had some noise issues, and I'm convinced that it was from using the different power supplies. It was frustrating, and caused me to start using a Boss ME-70 multi-effect pedal for a while.

I'm getting to the point, I promise:

I wanted to get a little better quality tone and have more control over my parameters on the individual effects, so I started researching pedal boards, and how to get them to operate noise-free. The conclusion I came to was that I needed to power all my pedals from one common power supply. There are a few out there, but the MXR DC Brick seemed like the best choice for me. After demo-ing delays, I found that I got the sound I wanted out of the Carbon Copy delay, also MXR. Since I was in the MXR pedal case, I tried out the Analog Chorus, and found that was a very flexible pedal too, and got that one.

The Micro Amp+ came into the picture later, when I was trying to figure out how to boost my leads without switching channels on my amp. I had thought about using an EQ pedal in the loop, as many people do, but thought it was kind of a waste of an EQ pedal, since I wouldn't really be shaping the tone with it. I thought, "Gee, I wish they made a pedal that just added volume to the signal." Well, guess what, that's exactly what the Micro Amp does. I chose the Micro Amp+, because it adds a bass and treble control, in case you need to do some tone shaping.

I think I like these pedals because they are analog signal manipulation instead of digital. I think it sounds more natural. I tried the '78 Badass Distortion, and didn't care for it. I didn't really care for any of the MXR distortion or overdrive pedal offerings. Chose to stick with my BSIAB II, and just added a Mad Professor 1 pedal this week.

Everything on my pedal board uses the same 9v plug to power them, and all of them are powered from my MXR DC Brick, including my Pitch Black tuner and my Cry-Baby. I'm convinced this is why this pedalboard is so noise-free compared to previous ones that I've had.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post: