Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Default Do I want a Ping-made Floyd Rose or a 1000-series Floyd Rose?

Those of you who've had experience with both, which would you say is better? Is the only difference the logo being laser etched on the Ping and the Ping lacking plating on the brass block or is there more to it?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I have a Ping Floyd and you're right - that the only difference. It comes with a standard-sized brass block instead of steel, but I swapped mine out for a brass Big Block. Anyway, it's great and just as good as a real Floyd IMHO. I think I read somewhere that Floyd let them put the 'Floyd Rose' logo in the same place (laser etched as you pointed out) as the real Floyd because the quality is top of the line, unlike some of the other licensed Floyds out there... Anyway, hope that helps a bit.
    "We got the brand-new album, we got the brand-new songs, we got the brand-new equipment, we got the brand-new show... And we got the same ol' shitty attitude!" David Lee Roth, May 20, 1984 in San Diego

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    I have a Ping Floyd and you're right - that the only difference. It comes with a standard-sized brass block instead of steel, but I swapped mine out for a brass Big Block. Anyway, it's great and just as good as a real Floyd IMHO. I think I read somewhere that Floyd let them put the 'Floyd Rose' logo in the same place (laser etched as you pointed out) as the real Floyd because the quality is top of the line, unlike some of the other licensed Floyds out there... Anyway, hope that helps a bit.
    I just found out that the 1000 may actually be made by Ping. LOL

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't really care for the 1000 series. The threads on everything seem rougher--but all the Ping stuff I have had no problem with !!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:52 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have both Ping and 1000 series Floyds on my guitars. The biggest difference to me is that D-Tunas have never worked well on the Ping Floyds. I've tried it with multiple Ping trems and multiple D-Tunas, and I have no idea why, but they just don't work well together for me. They always work fine on the 1000 series though. If the D-Tuna is not an issue for you and you're replacing the block anyways then just buy whichever one you can get the best deal on.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I have both Ping and 1000 series Floyds on my guitars. The biggest difference to me is that D-Tunas have never worked well on the Ping Floyds. I've tried it with multiple Ping trems and multiple D-Tunas, and I have no idea why, but they just don't work well together for me. They always work fine on the 1000 series though. If the D-Tuna is not an issue for you and you're replacing the block anyways then just buy whichever one you can get the best deal on.
    Good to know. I do use a dTuna.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I've found that with a few aftermarket/ licensced Floyds.
    Two exceptions are the older Schaller, and the Gotoh Floyds, but many guitar brands who's guitars come with a rebranded version of a Floyd just don't seem to work at all. You either have tuning issues, or there's just too much friction to efficiently operate the unit.
    To be honest, I've never had much luck longevity wise with the individually sold add on D Tunas. Their fit and finish seems to be lacking, and eventually they become almost impossible to use because they get so rough internally, but out of the gate, they work very well on those two, and of course the original Floyds.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.06.15 at 10:37 AM.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Peavey Wolfgang Floyd is a Ping. I bought a Peavey Wolfgang bridge and put it in an ash bodied strat. It came from Peavey with the D-tuner installed and like all my PV Wolfs it's flawless. And the D-tuner I added to my EBMM Axis works perfectly and that's a Gotoh. I think after market D-tuners have quality control issues. Guys who know how to use them have issues. So it's gotta be the tolerances on the aftermarket, right? Least I think it is.

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

The Peavey Wolfgang Floyds may be Ping, or partially Ping, but they're not a traditional OFR design. The Peavey Wolfgang trems are more like this design (or may be this exactly): http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Heav...EL_p_518.html#

That trem does work fantastic with the D-Tunas. I think it's due to the angled fine tuning screws. There are also Ping tremolos based on the original Floyd Rose design. Fender used to use them a lot. Those are the ones I had less success with.

Last Online

The Peavey Wolfgang Floyds may be Ping, or partially Ping, but they're not a traditional OFR design. The Peavey Wolfgang trems are more like this design (or may be this exactly): http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-Heav...EL_p_518.html#

That trem does work fantastic with the D-Tunas. I think it's due to the angled fine tuning screws. There are also Ping tremolos based on the original Floyd Rose design. Fender used to use them a lot. Those are the ones I had less success with.
    What actual problems did you have?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Not enough travel on the fine tuner, making the D-Tuna difficult to pull out if I had to sharpen the string at all. Or sometimes intonating the low E position on the D-Tuna would not work (always flat). Switched to a Gotoh Floyd with the same D-Tuna and the problems were gone.

Last Online

Not enough travel on the fine tuner, making the D-Tuna difficult to pull out if I had to sharpen the string at all. Or sometimes intonating the low E position on the D-Tuna would not work (always flat). Switched to a Gotoh Floyd with the same D-Tuna and the problems were gone.
    Funny thing is I have a Gotoh Floyd and my issue is that there's not enough travel. LOL

My Peavey trem, '86 thin plate OFR, and Special have no problems. The Gotoh still works but I don't seem to have the same range of fine tuning on the low E.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    Peavey Wolfgang Floyd is a Ping. I bought a Peavey Wolfgang bridge and put it in an ash bodied strat. It came from Peavey with the D-tuner installed and like all my PV Wolfs it's flawless. And the D-tuner I added to my EBMM Axis works perfectly and that's a Gotoh. I think after market D-tuners have quality control issues. Guys who know how to use them have issues. So it's gotta be the tolerances on the aftermarket, right? Least I think it is.
    That's exactly it. a friend of mine had the same problems I had with the aftermarket ones. Rough operation...The fine tuner screw backing out from vibration.
    He got one off of Ebay that was from a Wolfgang, and it was perfect. No flaky cheap chrome, no gouging of the saddle lock screw...Fairly old too, so it just shows that there is a huge difference in the quality between OEM, and the retrofit models.
    I've thought about going that route too, but I honestly don't really have the need for it any more.
    I still have an interest in it though..It is a cool little gizmo, but I'm more fascinated that there is such a quality difference, especially given how much they cost new.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    That's exactly it. a friend of mine had the same problems I had with the aftermarket ones. Rough operation...The fine tuner screw backing out from vibration.
    He got one off of Ebay that was from a Wolfgang, and it was perfect. No flaky cheap chrome, no gouging of the saddle lock screw...Fairly old too, so it just shows that there is a huge difference in the quality between OEM, and the retrofit models.
    I've thought about going that route too, but I honestly don't really have the need for it any more.
    I still have an interest in it though..It is a cool little gizmo, but I'm more fascinated that there is such a quality difference, especially given how much they cost new.
    How long has it been since you guys tried an aftermarket dTuna? From what I understand they've changed the chrome on it and it's less goopy and problematic than it used to be.

Also, I have this weird aesthetic sense... I like black dTunas on chrome bridges. I just ordered another black dTuna for my upcoming project. The chrome one I have on my FR Special is going to get dropped onto my Sterling AX4 instead of that.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I know there was a red (limited edition) one shown in a thread somewhere and it looked really nice. The finish was super clean and quality looked light years beyond what I'd seen in others posts about the aftermarket ones.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford