Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Obama Announces Shift in US Hostage Policy

The Obama administration was accused Wednesday of giving terrorists an incentive to kidnap as it unveiled a hostage policy overhaul allowing families of U.S. hostages to pay ransom -- and allowing the U.S. government to help families communicate with captors.

U.S. government is “changing the way [it] does business” when it comes to American hostage policy in the wake of the deaths of Americans at the hands of terrorists, including a promise not to threaten families of hostages with prosecution for attempting to pay ransoms.

“These families have already suffered enough, and they should never feel ignored or victimized by their own government,” Obama said from the White House. “No family of an American hostage has ever been prosecuted for paying a ransom in return for their loved ones. The last thing we should ever do is to add to a family’s pain with threats like that.”

Obama said that families of some of the 80 Americans who have been held hostage around the world since 9/11 told him directly that they felt “frustrated” by the government, how they felt “lost in the bureaucracy” and threatened for “exploring certain options” to bring their loved ones home –- an apparent reference to threats over ransom payments.

The president said the shift does not change the U.S. government's policy of never itself paying ransoms or granting concessions to hostage-takers. Over 30 Americans are currently being held abroad by various groups, including terrorists, cartels and criminals, White House Assistant for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Lisa Monaco said today.

Under the new policy, the administration said the U.S. government can facilitate communication with hostage-takers and the government will also create a new office that will work with the American families of hostage victims, administration officials said. A senior official said the hostage inter-agency "fusion cell" will be physically housed at FBI headquarters and initially will be run by a senior FBI official. Officials from other agencies and departments may rotate in to run the program in the future.

“The Hostage Recovery Fusion Cell will improve how the U.S. Government develops hostage recovery plans, tracks developments in specific cases, shares information with families, and provides information to Congress and the media,” says a White House fact sheet released today.

In addition to the Hostage Recovery Fusion Cell, the White House said the government will create a Hostage Response Group, name an Intelligence Community Issue Manager for Hostage Affairs, name a Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs and create a Family Engagement Team to "prioritize continual collaboration with the family in the safe recovery of the hostage."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

this really is a no win situation. No matter what your policy is people will hate it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Let's pay the ransom so the terrorists can use the money to kidnap and/or kill more innocent people.

I feel terrible for the families in that situation--there's no positive outcome. However, they are essentially trading the life of their relative for at least one other person (probably dozens more with the money they would be paying) who they'll never meet. Just because it isn't them pulling the trigger doesn't take away their complicity in the crime. This is the typical short-sighted, instant gratification policies the government (and its voters) love.

I do applaud their efforts to better coordinate the hostage recovery. It will help to have a centralized strategy in those efforts in the future and will hopefully be able to pull intelligence from multiple sources which could possibly help with raids.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Great to know that the fleecing of our tax dollars continue.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    Great to know that the fleecing of our tax dollars continue.
    At this point, this country deserves a collapse. You couldn't pay me to fight for this piece of shit country.

This country deserves everything that will happen to it in the future.

To me, it's just a piece of land that I live on until I die. It means nothing more to me at this point.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    At this point, this country deserves a collapse. You couldn't pay me to fight for this piece of shit country.

This country deserves everything that will happen to it in the future.

To me, it's just a piece of land that I live on until I die. It means nothing more to me at this point.
    Lee Greenwood in the house!!!!!

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Lee Greenwood in the house!!!!!
    This country murders people with drones and is lead by greedy sellouts (That people vote in over and over again) that puts us further and further into debt with our endless warmongering. We allow illegals to run in and give them free healthcare and everything else. It always wants to wreck and destroy anything that people from my part of the country believes in.

This country does not represent me at all.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw