Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Default RED: Chapter 11: Fathers Day

So if true, and you believe what Sammy wrote in his book, Alex gets a free pass & Mike doesn't? I bet if his last name was Van Halen everything would be fine.

“Alex Van Halen never wrote a song in his life and he was taking the same amount of publishing money as me.”
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:22 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Ed justifies it I'm sure by the fact he probably jammed everything with Al until it became something. And Al isn't exactly a metronome, he was pretty creative. Not disagreeing with you at all just saying what I think Ed believes.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

This band is never going to get it right again. They're fucking embarrassing these days. Just a total embarrassment. They were such a great band.
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

I think the prior justification is that VH went with a 25/25/25/25 split at the beginning of the band. They went with an all for one/one for all type of deal. Then someone in the band got buyer's remorse. And started passing the blame for something that everyone had agreed on at the beginning of the band.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

I reckon Sam's ex-wife got more of a caning in this book than Ed did.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

At this you can't really believe anyone in this band.
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I think the prior justification is that VH went with a 25/25/25/25 split at the beginning of the band. They went with an all for one/one for all type of deal. Then someone in the band got buyer's remorse. And started passing the blame for something that everyone had agreed on at the beginning of the band.
    And wasn't it set up that way to AVOID problems? Biggest backfire ever if it was

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Ed justifies it I'm sure by the fact he probably jammed everything with Al until it became something. And Al isn't exactly a metronome, he was pretty creative. Not disagreeing with you at all just saying what I think Ed believes.
    I agree with that actually. Listen to those Eddie/Alex jams during the Diver Down tour and the hints of Girl Gone Bad. I bet a lot of songs started with those two working off each other.

12. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BottomsUp72 View Post
    So if true, and you believe what Sammy wrote in his book, Alex gets a free pass & Mike doesn't? I bet if his last name was Van Halen everything would be fine.

“Alex Van Halen never wrote a song in his life and he was taking the same amount of publishing money as me.”
    right so Sammy thinks the same way as Eddie does about songwriting.

Is Sammy a dick for thinking the same, even though didn't have the power to cut Alex out? In this light it's like both Ed and Sam think the same and would've done the same. Made all songs (EVH/SH).

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    right so Sammy thinks the same way as Eddie does about songwriting.

Is Sammy a dick for thinking the same, even though didn't have the power to cut Alex out? In this light it's like both Ed and Sam think the same and would've done the same. Made all songs (EVH/SH).
    you guys really need to put the statements into context. Sam was for all intents and purposes fine with the 25% split when he joined the band even though he was writing all of the songs with Ed.

Sam only pointed out that Alex didn't do any of the songwriting in his book when he is talking specifically about a point in time where Ed and Al were working to reduce Mike's share and increase Al's. Since-according to Sam-Alex didn't do any more of the actual song writing than Mike did he couldn't see the justification behind this move. That and that alone is why Sam wrote in his book that "Alex never wrote any music" or whatever it was. To anyone not named "van halen" the entire scenario is absurd. IMHO Alex and Mike are both very, very important to what Van Halen was from 1978-1996 and while neither of them may have actually written music they both provided ingredients to the sound that we all love.

Sam's point there-AGAIN-was that Alex didn't contribute anymore than Mike did to the songwriting process so to increase his share while cutting Mike's was what Sam was bitching about and he told the story to illustrate how the van halen's slowly began to have these little power plays that eventually would lead to the demise of the band.

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 11:27 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    you guys really need to put the statements into context. Sam was for all intents and purposes fine with the 25% split when he joined the band even though he was writing all of the songs with Ed.

Sam only pointed out that Alex didn't do any of the songwriting in his book when he is talking specifically about a point in time where Ed and Al were working to reduce Mike's share and increase Al's. Since-according to Sam-Alex didn't do any more of the actual song writing than Mike did he couldn't see the justification behind this move. That and that alone is why Sam wrote in his book that "Alex never wrote any music" or whatever it was. To anyone not named "van halen" the entire scenario is absurd. IMHO Alex and Mike are both very, very important to what Van Halen was from 1978-1996 and while neither of them may have actually written music they both provided ingredients to the sound that we all love.

Sam's point there-AGAIN-was that Alex didn't contribute anymore than Mike did to the songwriting process so to increase his share while cutting Mike's was what Sam was bitching about and he told the story to illustrate how the van halen's slowly began to have these little power plays that eventually would lead to the demise of the band.
    THIS!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Panama View Post
    THIS!
    I don't know how many times I have to explain this, I don't know if people just didn't read the book and took a random comment and ran with it or if they did read it and didn't understand it or if they did read it, did understand it but still chose to post it out of context to make Sam look bad and to justify what Ed recently said.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I don't know how many times I have to explain this, I don't know if people just didn't read the book and took a random comment and ran with it or if they did read it and didn't understand it or if they did read it, did understand it but still chose to post it out of context to make Sam look bad and to justify what Ed recently said.
    Also funny that people crying about context in the Eddie interview take Sam's book comments out of context to attempt to make a point

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I

point taken BTTB, but actually your comment supports my thought exactly. Sam gets a pass because there's context. Ed gets blasted because NO context.

Logic would say...

Sam said same as Ed. He feels/thinks the same way as Eddie. They were the songwriters, not Mike or Al. AL/MA were making $ off their work. Both are equally dicks there or just realistic.

Sam's book we have context and know **WHY** he said a shitty thought. Billboard there's no context

In the Billboard article, we don't know what they were discussing, so we don't know WHY Ed said what he said.

This isn't excusing Ed's thoughts, just like we're not excusing Sammy's thought about Alex. Ed still believes what he said. That's fine. Shitty maybe?

You're saying Sam's comment is ok, because we know the context. That's my point.

___

About background vox...what if the question was simple... "Ed, do you miss Mike's backing vocals in the band?"

Ed: "Well truthfully it was always a mix of our voices, Mike has a range from hell, but I have a more soulful voice. Mike sounds like a piccolo trumpet.. etc etc.."

Sure Ed said a little too much that certainly sounds like a dig at Mike, but in context it probably isn't quite as bad (my whole point). Still Ed's a dick.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; 06.25.15 at 08:40 AM.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

^^^ Holy fuck that was beautiful.

Sorry to use your own argument about context to prove my point, but that's been my thought the whole time and people want to brush it off. Everyone was high-fiving here while making my point.

Context matters in the Billboard interview and we don't have it. Until we get a transcript...End.

23. The Following Member Likes This Post: