Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Default Kick ass apps

What are you all using that you can't live without in the app world?

I just got one called waze that I can not believe I didn't have before now. It's modern day cannon ball run stuff where users report "road hazards" (mostly for cops) along whatever your route is. I'm sure truckers are using this, along with anybody else that drives in a car. I'm super late to this boat. Also awesome for traffic. This is my favorite app right now. Yours?
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 541 Times in 322 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I was on the Waze bandwagon a couple of years ago, but not as much now. It can be really good if you're driving for a while in areas you don't know in heavy traffic...as long as you know it's not going to route you through somewhere you don't want to go.

I switched back to my iPhone Maps app a couple of years ago when I was driving from Carlsbad to Glendale (my first ever trip to CA), and it was having me get off the highway to drive through surface streets in LA. I just kind of thought uh, no, I'll stay right here on the highway, not really interested in driving through neighborhoods where a white guy in a rental BMW might not be the norm...

IMO Apple has improved their App enough where I don't really worry about the route. I'm also not driving the same way I was at that time, especially not now that I don't have one of those job things. If I get another job where I'm driving a ton, will go back to Waze as it does do a great job routing you around tie-ups.

Right now I'm using a lot of the job search apps...

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wife got me hooked on Waze a few months ago. It is cool but we don't get into all of the functions of it. On one of our Duke trips we had Tom Tom, Waze and google maps going all at once fighting it out for best navigation a few weeks ago. Waze won with Google a close second. Tom Tom is on suicide watch stuffed into the back of the coat closet.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

I don't know that there are any apps I can't live without, but the ones I use the most are camera apps.

When I got my first smart phone, the iPhone 5s, I downloaded two recommended camera apps: Pro HDR and Slow Shutter. Pro HDR simulates a photographic technique called High Dynamic Range that I don't know a whole lot about other than on a regular digital camera, you take several photos of the same thing at multiple exposure levels and combine them later so you get super bright brights and very dark darks.

The app took two separate photos, about 2-3 seconds apart. I go to Disneyland about twice a month and take a lot of photos there. Here is a pic I took with the app at sunset last summer:

Here is one in line for the Hollywood Tower of Terror:

Here's my sister-in-law's backyard:

Pro HDR still exists, but they released a new app called Pro HDRX which utilizes the iPhone's burst mode. This version takes three pictures nearly simultaneously at three different exposure levels. I haven't really posted any, but it is a better app (less chance of blurring) and it's what I use now on my iPhone 6.

The other one I really like, and this one is harder to use, is called Slow Shutter. Basically, Apple doesn't allow apps to control the shutter speed, so this one simulates that by taking multiple photos and then blurring any movement. You can control the speed of the "shutter" and the blur level, but with it I have taken photos like this (again, these are from my old iPhone 5s). You can notice some background blurring as I don't use a tripod like you're supposed to (I just do this for fun). All of these are from Instagram, so the quality isn't as great as the original

Now that I have just gotten an iPhone 6, which takes better low light shots, I am anxious to try these apps out on it.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Dang, those are amazing.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

Pro HDR still exists, but they released a new app called Pro HDRX which utilizes the iPhone's burst mode. This version takes three pictures nearly simultaneously at three different exposure levels. I haven't really posted any, but it is a better app (less chance of blurring) and it's what I use now on my iPhone 6.
    that's the backyard I want - unless you have scorpions or snakes - don't need none of that!

Nice pictures!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:56 PM
    Liked 1,042 Times in 525 Posts

Strava - 2mths ago I started mountain biking for weight loss and fitness and Strava really helps to keep my enthusiasm levels high by being able to set goals, track rides, graph power v heart rate v speed v elevation gained, break rides into segments, follow friends etc.... It's brilliant.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Dang, those are amazing.
    Thanks. Can't take too much credit. Disneyland is a hell of a place to take photos (Carsland next door at CA Adventure is particularly awesome, and now with the iPhone 6 I hope to get some good nighttime shots) and those two apps are really great.

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    that's the backyard I want - unless you have scorpions or snakes - don't need none of that!

Nice pictures!
    Well, I've grown up here in the high desert since I was 1-yr old and now I am 36. I have seen one scorpion and one dead snake.

The scorpion I saw in a much less populated area and the snake was not poisonous and had been killed.

I hate spiders and we see lots of those. Terminix or something like it is a must here in the desert, but I assume that is true in really humid climates too.

That said, I know all kinds of people who have seen the mojave green, one of the deadliest rattlesnakes on the planet. It's funny, my wife wants to go to Australia and with my hatred of snakes and spiders, I'm like 'I don't want to go to the place where 9/10 of the deadliest snakes are.' Of course, the other one is where I live now!!

Joshua trees here cannot be cut down; they must be relocated. But since they only grow here and in Israel, they are pretty cool to look at. That picture was taken after a thunderstorm. There was a double rainbow that happened after that but I can't find the photo. It's somewhere on my computer.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I don't know that there are any apps I can't live without, but the ones I use the most are camera apps.

When I got my first smart phone, the iPhone 5s, I downloaded two recommended camera apps: Pro HDR and Slow Shutter. Pro HDR simulates a photographic technique called High Dynamic Range that I don't know a whole lot about other than on a regular digital camera, you take several photos of the same thing at multiple exposure levels and combine them later so you get super bright brights and very dark darks.

The app took two separate photos, about 2-3 seconds apart. I go to Disneyland about twice a month and take a lot of photos there. Here is a pic I took with the app at sunset last summer:

Here is one in line for the Hollywood Tower of Terror:

Here's my sister-in-law's backyard:

The other one I really like, and this one is harder to use, is called Slow Shutter. Basically, Apple doesn't allow apps to control the shutter speed, so this one simulates that by taking multiple photos and then blurring any movement. You can control the speed of the "shutter" and the blur level, but with it I have taken photos like this (again, these are from my old iPhone 5s). You can notice some background blurring as I don't use a tripod like you're supposed to (I just do this for fun). All of these are from Instagram, so the quality isn't as great as the original

Now that I have just gotten an iPhone 6, which takes better low light shots, I am anxious to try these apps out on it.
    Awesome!

Reminds me of all the photography classes I took in the 80's to learn f-stop and shutter speed and depth of field... SLR w/35mm film. Who knew back then all we would need is a phone in 2015?

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Amazing pics.
    As a guy that loved taking pics with cameras that had film I'm amazed how great phone cameras have gotten. And apps like this totally help.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

And not really an app but the pano feature on the iPhone is pretty sweet.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Last Online

Premium Member

Thought about this some more. For those with DirecTV--and I am sure other providers have it too--the ability to use an app to schedule something to record is pretty cool. There are times I've taken a day trip where we are going to get home late and I forgot to set the Lakers game to record. Open up the app and schedule it in seconds.

Shazam (and now Siri can do it) and other apps to find out what a song is is pretty incredible. Just that piece of technology, if you think about 10 years ago, is mindblowing.

I use Vert because it was free for a limited time, but there are many apps that do all kinds of measurement conversions. Really helpful.

I have an app called Password where I can list and edit all my passwords protected by my thumbprint. It's come in handy a lot to remember all my stupid passwords.

Lastly, here is a tip. Yahoo News usually reposts a list of apps that are free for a day or a weekend. Most of my apps have come from those lists. Always worth checking out because they are paid apps that are free for a limited time. You can always delete and download it later if you don't have room. But I'd say half of my apps are paid apps that I got for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Awesome!

Reminds me of all the photography classes I took in the 80's to learn f-stop and shutter speed and depth of field... SLR w/35mm film. Who knew back then all we would need is a phone in 2015?
    My dad's one of these jack-of-all-trades guys. He is an accountant by trade, but saw the salary/time off/retirement my mother was getting as a teacher, and he went in cold and passed the exam to teach social studies. He had enough math units to teach through algebra, so he got started teaching math, then social studies.

Later he ended up teaching an ROP technology class and he retired teaching video production.

Now, in retirement, he teaches at a local JC teaching photography. But because schools are dumb, photography 101 is still film and darkroom. So my dad actually teaches all that stuff now.

I don't know what any of it is about, but I do enjoy capturing what I think is something cool and seeing him like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Amazing pics.
    As a guy that loved taking pics with cameras that had film I'm amazed how great phone cameras have gotten. And apps like this totally help.
    Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    And not really an app but the pano feature on the iPhone is pretty sweet.
    No kidding. From what I understand, the 5s was really getting close to being able to ditch the point and shoot and now the 6 is at the point where you can.

However, we hired a guy with a wonderful portfolio to shoot my recent wedding and knowing how to use the right equipment, you can get some great shots. Some of the stuff he got for us is really special. I realized how much of a talent AND trade photography really is, even in the digital age (plus you have to know Photoshop really well).

I agree about the Panorama setting. I took a really nice one from my then-fiancee-now-wife's aunt's porch in Cedar City, UT last Thanksgiving. Gorgeous sunset over the plains.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 06.23.15 at 10:38 PM.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Awesome!

Yeah. lol. That was my job in the Navy I went to school for 9 months for. Did everything on the Cannon F1, color and b/w. We started shifting towards digital right when I was getting out in 96. I talk to my Daughter about fstops, shutter speed and depth of field and I just get a blank stare back.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

Great photo's app....I downloaded Pro HRDX last night b/c of the pics!

The one app I use religiously is Road Trip...it calculates real world fuel economy based upon KM's traveled and litres used to fill it up...very interesting.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Anybody know of anything like that for Android?