Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:52 AM
    Liked 2,086 Times in 678 Posts

Default Inside Van Halen's Upcoming Tour -- Hitting an Amphitheater Near You!

Nearly 40 years into a dynamic touring career, Van Halen will again take its powerful catalog to its passionate fan base on its third consecutive tour with David Lee Roth as front man and Wolfgang Van Halen (son and nephew of the bands' namesakes in guitarist Eddie and drummer Alex, respectively) on bass with a 40-plus date tour to begin July 5 at the White River Amphitheatre in Seattle, Wash.

It's a lineup Van Halen fans embrace, as was proven last time out in 2012 on the Different Kind of Truth tour, when Van Halen finished the year ranked No. 8 among all tours in Billboard Boxscore, grossing $54.4 million, with 522,296 tickets sold to 46 shows.

The 2012 outing was Van Halen's first with Roth on vocals since the 2007/2008 World Tour, which itself was the first with Roth since he left the band in 1985. The semi-classic lineup (with a 16-year old Wolfgang replacing founding bassist Michael Anthony and Roth retaking the mic after a 13-year intermittent run by Sammy Hagar) was the highest-grossing Van Halen tour ever, taking in $76,443,762 and moving 723,367 tickets to 63 shows, according to Boxscore.

The 2015 tour has no new original recorded content to support, but the band will release Tokyo Dome Live In Concert, its first live set with Roth, recorded in 2013, along with remastered versions of classic albums Van Halen and 1984. The unusual flurry of activity for one of rock's most beloved -- but sporadically active -- bands begs the question of "why now?"

"The boys had some time off and they wanted to get out again," says VH manager Irving Azoff, citing the album releases as an added catalyst, along with the fact that, "No one is getting any younger."

Few bands typify "arena rock" more than Van Halen, but the upcoming tour is outdoors, promoted by Live Nation and primarily playing the promoter's amphitheaters. Asked why outdoors this time, Azoff offers, "Summer, summer, summer. Van Halen has not performed many outdoor shows, so this is something new for them."

Despite 2012's success, the tour ended on sour note when Van Halen pulled the plug on a scheduled 30-date final leg. Amid Internet rumors of rancor among band members, a source close to the band told Billboard at the time that "fatigue" was the reason. Now, Azoff says, "The last 30 dates were not cancelled, they were never 'officially announced,' and the guys were dead, beat, exhausted."

Regardless, dates have been added to the upcoming tour for Los Angeles and New York, and Azoff says sales are "keeping with anticipations." Bob Roux, co-president of North American Concerts for tour promoter Live Nation, says projections call for the tour to gross more than $30 million and finish as one of the company's top-grossing shed tours of the summer. "Van Halen has one of the deepest and most revered song catalogs in the business," says Roux, "and their concerts are just hit after hit. Their showmanship has always been legendary, and we are happy to once again be their tour promoter this summer."

The nature of the classic rock business and amphitheater shows overall make good day-of-show weather paramount in the show selling through, as walk-up business is critical. Roux says Van Halen remains a crowd-pleaser, owning, "one of the deepest and most revered song catalogs in the business, and their concerts are just hit after hit."

Van Halen's 2015 tour is a likely winner under the stars this summer, and the band's touring legacy is assured. "Van Halen is perhaps one of the greatest rock 'n roll bands of all time," Azoff says, "and always will be."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...r-irving-azoff
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 915 Times in 468 Posts

The second leg of the 2012 tour wasn't "officially announced"?

Bullshit. I had my tickets for the second night on this leg. Azoff is not someone I am even remotely fond of.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts

Now there's a dose of optimism in the midst of despair! These guys are hitting the road for (what I would guess) is their final tour! They are flawed humans capable of saying horrible things and may hate each other, hate previous band members, maybe even hate the audience! BUT something great happens when they plug-in and turn it up - and I will be there, just as I was the first time 35 years ago. Damn, I'm getting older and don't understand the strange psyche of the guitar player...but still look forward to the fury!

(Oh, and Dave, sing within your range and leave the jazz hands in Pasadena.)
    1981 - Lexington
    1982 - Louisville
    1983 - Lexington
    1984 - Lexington and Cincinnati
    1988 - Lexington
    1994 - Cleveland
    2007 - Indianapolis
    2012 - Washington, DC and Nashville
    2015 - Bristow, VA

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

What a patch work article. Seems like parts from before the release of Tokyo were sewn together with comments from last month.

And I thought the last tour was cancelled due to Eds health. (Diverticulitis)

Despite 2012's success, the tour ended on sour note when Van Halen pulled the plug on a scheduled 30-date final leg. Amid Internet rumors of rancor among band members, a source close to the band told Billboard at the time that "fatigue" was the reason. Now, Azoff says, "The last 30 dates were not cancelled, they were never 'officially announced,' and the guys were dead, beat, exhausted."
    WTF is this... very sloppy damage control? Janie choice skills?

Hate this lame crap that always seems to be put out on a shoe string budget.

Sorry James... just saying it could be better.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post: