Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,202 Times in 532 Posts

Default SAMMY TALKS TO TRUNK... VH TRYING TO STOP HIM FROM DOING VAN HAGAR TUNES

Last edited by mikehunt5150; 06.18.15 at 10:12 AM.
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:02 AM
    Liked 6,818 Times in 3,566 Posts

Premium Member

Last edited by Number 47; 06.18.15 at 10:25 AM.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:25 AM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

The idea that the VH brothers are trying to stop him from playing the Hagar era because "they're jealous because they can't play them" is just flat out silly and he knows better. And after the 2004 tour, Sam is the last guy to be talking about what they deem acceptable on stage or not.

That being said, Sam wrote those songs and he should be able to sing them when he wants to. For Alex and Eddie to to try and block him is just petty and childish. They obviously still have some serious bad blood between them if they're stooping that low. I don't even think they have a leg to stand on as far as blocking him from playing them.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,202 Times in 532 Posts

I think what is even more telling in this conversation is that SAMMY is the reason there is no CF... Because he can't play Van Hagar tunes...LOL

GET READY....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

Oh boy...

If true, I'm completely with Sam on this one. He co-wrote the songs, so he should be able to play them whenever he wants.

Just goes back to the same ol' same ol' that Eddie and Alex hate anyone making money off of something they feel they own without their say-so.

8. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt5150 View Post
    I think what is even more telling in this conversation is that SAMMY is the reason there is no CF... Because he can't play Van Hagar tunes...LOL

GET READY....
    Basically said the same thing Eddie says, though, that it takes just too much time, money, and effort to write and record an album to then only sell 20-30K copies.

It boggles the mind to wonder how much more music we'd have from Van Halen, Chickenfoot, etc. if albums were still profitable.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 AM
    Liked 2,272 Times in 1,165 Posts

Eddie Trunk sounds like a 17 year old

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Panama View Post

It boggles the mind to wonder how much more music we'd have from Van Halen, Chickenfoot, etc. if albums were still profitable.
    Or if they cared about new music. THere are bands still putting out new music every few years regardless of what it sells. Iron Maiden comes to mind, they're coming out with a double disc in September.

Van Halen/CF/etc. could do it if they wanted to and they don't have to spend so much to make it if they didn't want to. It would probably sound better if they went cheap and raw I'm still wondering how much could it cost for Eddie, his studio is at his fucking house!

12. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

I remember when Ed did that interview with Stern back in 06 (I think) and he was kind of pissed that Sam and Mike were out touring as "the other half" cause "they're out there making money off of my songs" or something to that effect. I chalked that up to the sad state that EVH was in at the time.

I have not listened to the interview posted above but I would imagine that Ed still feels this way which is kind of strange to me. VH is not doing those songs anymore and as far as we know they have no plans to do those songs anymore for one reason or another. is it costing Ed or Al any money when Sam and Mike do those songs? I don't think it does, if anything someone going to a Circle concert will buy a Hagar era VH record after the show if they dig the tunes so they're actually making Ed and Al some money.

It's still sometimes hard to figure out what EVH and AVh are thinking......

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

I can't listen to the interview cause I hate hearing Hagar's revisionist history that always seems to pop up and Trunk gushing over Hagar is a little more than I can handle. That being said, like others have pointed out, Hagar co-worte those songs and has every right to sing them if he wants to.

As for the recording albums, not selling, etc. My thinking is why these bands, especially a band like VH that OWNS their own studio just go in and record like 2-3 songs and release them digitally themselves via iTunes or their own website? Go back to the old model: release singles. Not albums. A band like VH that has a big following will easily sell these songs and pocket almost all the money. Why waste times with record companies these days? Will the whole world know VH has new songs available to purchase via their website? No. But did the whole world know VH released A Different Kind of Truth in 2012? No. A record company isn't going to make a difference for a band like VH these days.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Really hate hearing any artist say they are no longer interested in new music... Sucks!

18. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    It's still sometimes hard to figure out what EVH and AVh are thinking......
    I think it all comes down to control. Eddie really is a rock and roll Michael Corleone. VH is about "the family," and NO ONE is allowed to make ANY money off the family without his say so, or control.

20. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 140 Times in 72 Posts

wow that was an interesting interview...

I don't fault Sam for anything he said about EVH or AVH. Nor can I disagree with his take with current VH band disfunction.

It just amazes me how at these guys ages how petty and disfunctional their relationships still are. I mean for Dave to be the reason we don't see new music after he told us in the original press conference back in 2007 that he understands what the VH legacy means to him and now when time is not on their side any more due to their ages he's off getting tattoos when they could be writing new songs. Not to mention calling Eddie out a few years ago pointing the finger at him in Rolling Stone.

If we get any new music after this tour we should count ourselves lucky...assuming Dave can hold a melody

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post

As for the recording albums, not selling, etc. My thinking is why these bands, especially a band like VH that OWNS their own studio just go in and record like 2-3 songs and release them digitally themselves via iTunes or their own website? Go back to the old model: release singles. Not albums. A band like VH that has a big following will easily sell these songs and pocket almost all the money. Why waste times with record companies these days? Will the whole world know VH has new songs available to purchase via their website? No. But did the whole world know VH released A Different Kind of Truth in 2012? No. A record company isn't going to make a difference for a band like VH these days.
    ...or maybe even tack a couple of new songs on each of their respective live albums. Sweeten the deal a bit for the fans... sell a few more units.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:00 AM
    Liked 1,034 Times in 505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    The idea that the VH brothers are trying to stop him from playing the Hagar era because "they're jealous because they can't play them" is just flat out silly and he knows better.
    I hear what you are saying but what’s the alternative? They are petty and vindictive? No matter what anyone guesses is their motivation, it's not going to be very flattering.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

26. The Following 5 Members Like This Post: