Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default Peavey 5150 Combo Tube Question

Would anyone know what tubes to use either power and or pre amp to get a Peavey 5150 combo to sound less metal and more classic rock-ish?

I've got 6L6's in power and Electro-Harmonix 12AX7's in pre.

OR...does what I have work and I need to fiddle with settings a bit?
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h*bunter View Post
    Would anyone know what tubes to use either power and or pre amp to get a Peavey 5150 combo to sound less metal and more classic rock-ish?

The 5150 does classic rock fine. Just ask Ted Nugent.

I've played a few 5150/6505 amps in my time. It's all in the EQ and gain settings. The "clean" channel with the crunch switch in does classic rock all day. Or lower the gain on the dirty channel, lower the presence and resonance a bit, and bump the mids.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:50 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Looks like the 'Nuge is rocking the striped shoes as well.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Looks like the 'Nuge is rocking the striped shoes as well.
    I think that's camo.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

I had old Boogie power tubes and I have no idea what I used in the preamp for my head. I wanted it as close to stock as possible to see how it sounded when it was new. Bought Ruby tubes as I read they are close to the Chinese tubes it shipped with. Made no difference. Head sounds the same to me. Those old tubes are from 2004 at the earliest. And probably are much older. I don't know what you preamp tubes will do. There are some that are better then others for high gain amps depending on what you want. And it sounds like you want less gain. Ruby which I think are now JJ sound pretty good to me.

I know the combo is voiced slightly differently from the head. But the rhythym channel is great for classic rock tones. On the lead channel with the gain just above four I was getting a pretty good VH II sound I think. Using my EBMM Axis and the matching Peavey 5150 4x12 cab.

5150s need to be played loud. They lose some of the buzz and fizz when cranked.

The 5150 II is closer related to the combo and a pretty famous rocker used to use the head rhythym channel and called it his secret weapon. Pre gain cranked and post gain used like a master volume. Adjusted as needed. I've got my rhythym gain around 7. Think I stole it from Ed's settings. Helps the transition from rhythym to lead channel for leads sound smoother. I'd prefer less gain. But then when switching to play leads it's way too much of a jump in tone/gain for how I like the lead channel.

I read an interview with a guy who worked at Peavey. He said Ed sent his Marshall and Soldano SLO to Peavey and said copy them in a two channel head. Rhythym Marshall and Soldano lead. So that's what they did. Interview is on the web somewhere. I'm not going to get into how successful they were or weren't, but the rhythym channel is better than most think. I overlooked it for the first 15 years I owned it. Few years ago I decided to try it and was surprised I liked it.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:50 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    I think that's camo.
    Yup. Camo if is.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:27 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    I think that's camo.
    "Camo-Toe" LOL
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Sorry I got nothing for you OP but nice to see another Hamiltonian here.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Article below was taken from www.eurotubes.com. That is the best resource for tubes for a 5150 amp. If you email the guy and tell him what you are looking for, he can hook you up.

Peavey 5150 and 6505 amps. The 5150 and the 6505 are the same amps and they have an insane amount of gain in the preamp section. Players who only play gained up are usually pretty happy with the 5150 heads in stock trim, but players looking for warmth and anything near a decent clean tone will be left wanting. The power tubes while running just under 500 plate volts are only drawing about 10 to 12 milliamps of plate current. This means the amp is producing what is called crossover distortion and cannot produce a good warm clean tone to start with. It also causes the amp to be sluggish and lack dynamic response. The 5150 combo and the Ultra combo are another story. For some reason PV got it right and although the combo amps are also fixed bias they are fixed MUCH warmer and we can supply you with power tubes that will get the bias between 38 to 42mA which is right where they belong with NO bias mod. If you check a stock 5150 100 watt or an Ultra plus 100 watt head using an oscilloscope and a signal generator which is the classic old school method of biasing a tube amp, you can plainly see crossover distortion in the wave forms until you get to about 33 to 34 milliamps of plate current then the sine waves look perfect. We like them set at 40 to 42mA per tube. Now you 5150 players who have played or own the 5150 combo don't have this problem, for some reason the combo's are biased much warmer and with the correct grade of power tubes they will bias up to a very nice 38 to 42mA with no need to modify them. This is why most players who have tried both the head and the combo, like the clean tone and the combo's dynamic response better. There are a lot of amp techs out there that have attended technical trade schools or have taken a couple college courses and have no real understanding of how and why vacuum tubes work. They for the most part have never read or studied any of the classic tube manuals but most of them will be very quick to say, "Bias? No, you don’t have to worry about that, it’s fixed bias." So if you’re looking for a tech to bias your amp properly and you get this answer say, "Gee thanks!" and quickly move on to the next tech because they obviously know nothing about tube amps. For you 5150 players who want to venture into “integrated Quad” territory without doing a bias mod, we have you covered! This is a stock 5150! There are NO mods necessary to run this setup. Now it will sound better with a bias mod but it's NOT necessary. We put this combination together especially for you guys who don't want to hassle with the bias mod or do not have anyone you trust to do it. As you can see by the bias meters on the left even very hot 6L6GC's only pull about 10 milliamps of plate current where they should be pulling about 40mA ( the far left bias meter ). The KT88's are pulling about 32mA ( the right bias meter ) where they should be pulling about 60mA. But, for you guys who are happy with the stock tone or just don't want to mod the amp then this Integrated quad with the JJ KT88's in the outside sockets and the JJ 6L6GC's in the inside sockets will get you even more low end thunder and a very fat and punchy all around tone. The only thing necessary to install these is to clip the rather useless tube retainers from the two outside sockets so the big bases on the KT88's will fit. ( Note the clipped retainer halves sitting on the amp.) This Integrated quads are plug and play, we repeat PLUG AND PLAY!! In July of 1999 Bob tubed a 5150 for a local guy named Jeff Miesen, better known as Jeffytune on the Peavey forum. The Peavey amp forum used to be one of the only real open forums on the net, but unfortunately this changed the summer of 2001 and now if you post something that Peavey doesn't like your post will be deleted. Jeff was real happy with the JJ Electronic 6L6’s and ECC83’s that we loaded his amp with, but we felt the amp could be improved with a bias mod. Jeff was leery about the mod and didn’t want to part with the $40.00. A few weeks went by and curiosity got the best of us. We really wanted to hear what a 5150 sounded like with the power tubes biased properly so I called Jeff and offered to pick up his 5150 and mod the bias free of charge! Jeff said yes! With the bias dialed in to about 34 to 35 mA on the plates which was just out of crossover distortion the amp was much improved! It now had a good warm clean tone and the dynamic response was much improved. We promptly called Jeff to come get his amp. After hearing it he was impressed, a total success! In August of 2000 Bob decided to mod a 5150 using an idea he was going to use on a 100 watt Marshall. The mod consists of a split dual bias circuit allowing the amp to run all 6L6’s or a pair of KT88’s in the outside sockets and 6L6’s in the inside sockets or any combination of EL34’s, 6L6’s and KT88’s. He called it the 5150ex for experimental. There are now two bias pots on the back panel for easy access, a reworked front panel and hard wired milliamp meters, one for the two inner tubes and one for the two outer tubes. After trying all of the above tube combinations at lots of different bias settings (this thing is a great test bed!) The favorite combination was a pair of JJ E34L’s in the center sockets set at plate current draw of 44mA and a pair of JJ KT88’s drawing 65mA in the outer sockets. At these settings the amp makes 113 watts before any clipping. In stock trim a 5150 is well into clipping at 100 watts. This amp gets run hard multiple times a week since August of 2000 with NO problems what so ever. The 5150 ex is a beast! It also exhibits a very fat, warm clean tone. The distortion in the clean channel alone is more than most players need! The lead channel is just simply over the top, way over the top! With it’s Zebra wood front panel and snake-skin covering it’s not bad looking either! Just about every local player that comes in for tubes wants to play it and we never say no because it’s great to see and hear their reactions. The Marshall players seem to be most impressed
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

this is probably what you are looking for:

http://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/vi...idcategory=250
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

There is no clean channel on a Peavey 5150. There's a rhythym and a lead. If you want cleans look elsewhere. I've gotten barely usable cleans with single coils at gigs. But it ain't the amps fault. It was not designed for cleans. Dirty and dirtier was its goal.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Article below was taken from www.eurotubes.com. That is the best resource for tubes for a 5150 amp. If you email the guy and tell him what you are looking for, he can hook you up.

Peavey 5150 and 6505 amps. The 5150 and the 6505 are the same amps and they have an insane amount of gain in the preamp section. Players who only play gained up are usually pretty happy with the 5150 heads in stock trim, but players looking for warmth and anything near a decent clean tone will be left wanting. The power tubes while running just under 500 plate volts are only drawing about 10 to 12 milliamps of plate current. This means the amp is producing what is called crossover distortion and cannot produce a good warm clean tone to start with. It also causes the amp to be sluggish and lack dynamic response. The 5150 combo and the Ultra combo are another story. For some reason PV got it right and although the combo amps are also fixed bias they are fixed MUCH warmer and we can supply you with power tubes that will get the bias between 38 to 42mA which is right where they belong with NO bias mod. If you check a stock 5150 100 watt or an Ultra plus 100 watt head using an oscilloscope and a signal generator which is the classic old school method of biasing a tube amp, you can plainly see crossover distortion in the wave forms until you get to about 33 to 34 milliamps of plate current then the sine waves look perfect. We like them set at 40 to 42mA per tube. Now you 5150 players who have played or own the 5150 combo don't have this problem, for some reason the combo's are biased much warmer and with the correct grade of power tubes they will bias up to a very nice 38 to 42mA with no need to modify them. This is why most players who have tried both the head and the combo, like the clean tone and the combo's dynamic response better. There are a lot of amp techs out there that have attended technical trade schools or have taken a couple college courses and have no real understanding of how and why vacuum tubes work. They for the most part have never read or studied any of the classic tube manuals but most of them will be very quick to say, "Bias? No, you don’t have to worry about that, it’s fixed bias." So if you’re looking for a tech to bias your amp properly and you get this answer say, "Gee thanks!" and quickly move on to the next tech because they obviously know nothing about tube amps. For you 5150 players who want to venture into “integrated Quad” territory without doing a bias mod, we have you covered! This is a stock 5150! There are NO mods necessary to run this setup. Now it will sound better with a bias mod but it's NOT necessary. We put this combination together especially for you guys who don't want to hassle with the bias mod or do not have anyone you trust to do it. As you can see by the bias meters on the left even very hot 6L6GC's only pull about 10 milliamps of plate current where they should be pulling about 40mA ( the far left bias meter ). The KT88's are pulling about 32mA ( the right bias meter ) where they should be pulling about 60mA. But, for you guys who are happy with the stock tone or just don't want to mod the amp then this Integrated quad with the JJ KT88's in the outside sockets and the JJ 6L6GC's in the inside sockets will get you even more low end thunder and a very fat and punchy all around tone. The only thing necessary to install these is to clip the rather useless tube retainers from the two outside sockets so the big bases on the KT88's will fit. ( Note the clipped retainer halves sitting on the amp.) This Integrated quads are plug and play, we repeat PLUG AND PLAY!! In July of 1999 Bob tubed a 5150 for a local guy named Jeff Miesen, better known as Jeffytune on the Peavey forum. The Peavey amp forum used to be one of the only real open forums on the net, but unfortunately this changed the summer of 2001 and now if you post something that Peavey doesn't like your post will be deleted. Jeff was real happy with the JJ Electronic 6L6’s and ECC83’s that we loaded his amp with, but we felt the amp could be improved with a bias mod. Jeff was leery about the mod and didn’t want to part with the $40.00. A few weeks went by and curiosity got the best of us. We really wanted to hear what a 5150 sounded like with the power tubes biased properly so I called Jeff and offered to pick up his 5150 and mod the bias free of charge! Jeff said yes! With the bias dialed in to about 34 to 35 mA on the plates which was just out of crossover distortion the amp was much improved! It now had a good warm clean tone and the dynamic response was much improved. We promptly called Jeff to come get his amp. After hearing it he was impressed, a total success! In August of 2000 Bob decided to mod a 5150 using an idea he was going to use on a 100 watt Marshall. The mod consists of a split dual bias circuit allowing the amp to run all 6L6’s or a pair of KT88’s in the outside sockets and 6L6’s in the inside sockets or any combination of EL34’s, 6L6’s and KT88’s. He called it the 5150ex for experimental. There are now two bias pots on the back panel for easy access, a reworked front panel and hard wired milliamp meters, one for the two inner tubes and one for the two outer tubes. After trying all of the above tube combinations at lots of different bias settings (this thing is a great test bed!) The favorite combination was a pair of JJ E34L’s in the center sockets set at plate current draw of 44mA and a pair of JJ KT88’s drawing 65mA in the outer sockets. At these settings the amp makes 113 watts before any clipping. In stock trim a 5150 is well into clipping at 100 watts. This amp gets run hard multiple times a week since August of 2000 with NO problems what so ever. The 5150 ex is a beast! It also exhibits a very fat, warm clean tone. The distortion in the clean channel alone is more than most players need! The lead channel is just simply over the top, way over the top! With it’s Zebra wood front panel and snake-skin covering it’s not bad looking either! Just about every local player that comes in for tubes wants to play it and we never say no because it’s great to see and hear their reactions. The Marshall players seem to be most impressed
    Ouch... Wall of text. LOL Is that how it's formatted on the site?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

The 5150 combo boasted "an enhanced clean tone" but it's not really passable without single coil pickups.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h*bunter View Post

Are you using the stock speakers ? I`d throw some broken in Greenback flavored speakers if it were mine. Tung Sol preamp tubes might help a little . Are you using high output pickups ? Definietly mess with your settings a bit

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

I get a pretty good clean tone on the rhythm channel with the pre at around 4, with the guitar volume backed off a little. Add a pinch of chorus and I'm good. Of course, some pickups clean up better than others. My JB's clean up quite a bit better than Wolfgangs.