Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2799 of 2905 FirstFirst ... 179922992699274927892796279727982799280028012802280928492899 ... LastLast
Results 41,971 to 41,985 of 43566
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 14,870 Times in 7,824 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    This is the most reasonable response any pro-wall person has given. And I appreciate it.

How about this as a counter-proposal. Over the last 20 years, border crossings have taken care of themselves. It’s a problem, but not the biggest problem. If it reverses course, and both border security and our national security agencies recommend walling some areas (which as far as I know they’ve never done in any briefing), I’ll agree.

In the meantime, let’s spend the $5 billion on airports and visa overstays, where the problems are significantly worse. Let’s seal that hole, which is more likely to drown that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would certainly be inclined to go after the biggest problem and if that's visa overstays and issues at port of entry then that would be a good place to start.

I still think there needs to be some sort of physical barrier in certain border sectors to discourage people from simply walking across. Obviously its not needed in some areas as you could not reasonably cross on foot and expect to survive. What that looks like I don't know. I would defer to border patrol and what they'd like to see done.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 1,969 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Creative destruction has been happening forever and will continue to happen.

Imagine traveling back in time to the year 2003, walking into a Blockbuster Video, and telling the video clerk you repair Red Box machines or you're a social media manager for Netflix.

The jobs of the future you and I haven't dreamed of. Whoever the next Steve Jobs will be is doing so right now.
    Not so. This is different.

To make an example of your Blockbuster Video example.
    - At it's peak in 2004 Blockbuster had 84,000 employees and made $6 billion in revenue.
    - In 2016 Netflix had 4,500 employees and made $9 billion in revenue.

In the past innovation gave rise to industries which created jobs in huge excess to those it was replacing (the automotive industry replacing horse carriages, for example).
    Computer automation today though - and especially into the fields of A.I. and machine learning which is upon us now - replace entire industries but not the jobs.

☩ ☩ ☩

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 4,210 Times in 2,528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I would certainly be inclined to go after the biggest problem and if that's visa overstays and issues at port of entry then that would be a good place to start.

I still think there needs to be some sort of physical barrier in certain border sectors to discourage people from simply walking across. Obviously its not needed in some areas as you could not reasonably cross on foot and expect to survive. What that looks like I don't know. I would defer to border patrol and what they'd like to see done.
    Hey, there CAN be compromise!

Tucker Carlson recently said the market isn't a religion, and he's right. But neither is the wall. And I feel like no matter what evidence is provided, the wall must be built for its own sake. And it's crazy that people claiming to be fiscal conservatives are saying so.

I get being upset at illegal immigration and I get campaign promises, but ultimately, finite resources need to be used in the best way we can, and we can't keep ignoring our debt. We need to spend money wisely.

At the end of the day, I think, superficially, communists and Nazis build walls and Americans take them down. But if national security experts say there need to be physical barriers in areas, then I am willing to go along with that.

I am not immobile when it comes to the wall. I just have a hard time looking at the evidence, along with who is saying we need it (and perhaps more importantly who isn't) and agreeing its the best use of $5 billion right now for border security. That's all.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 16,029 Times in 9,042 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post

This is what I'm saying. How many times did the man AND border patrol say that they need barriers in some places but not in others?

Yet we still have people acting like people are asking for the whole border to be blockaded. That and "I thought Mexico was paying for it?".

Congrats to those people who actually thought Mexico was going present a check that says "Wall" on it. All three need to see a doctor.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

03.18.19 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 1,015 Times in 350 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Congrats to those people who actually thought Mexico was going present a check that says "Wall" on it. All three need to see a doctor.
    Maybe Trump can sell coporate advertising blocks to offset the costs to tax payers? Same Ad...English on this side and Spanish on the other.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 1,434 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

This is from Trump's campaign website. "Mexico: make a one time payment of $5-10 billion"
    That is very specific.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    Maybe Trump can sell coporate advertising blocks to offset the costs to tax payers? Same Ad...English on this side and Spanish on the other.
    I'm for that.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 1,243 Times in 706 Posts

Premium Member

When the shells start to move, just look at this sentence: The American taxpayers are going to pay for the wall.

If you believe that we are "shutting down the government" over a funding dispute for a wall that Mexico is going to pay for, you are having too much whiskey and not enough steak.

TK

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

03.22.19 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 6,047 Times in 3,125 Posts

So Trump lied and its going to cost the country 10 billion

wonder where we are at with Obamacare?

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

I'm for that.
    He might as well...I donít think anything is built nowadays without some type of corporate funding.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

If you believed that whether or not the wall was built was hinging on Mexico paying, then you need to cut down on the soy milk and tofu.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

If you believed that whether or not the wall was built was hinging on Mexico paying, then you need to cut down on the soy milk and tofu.
    Um. I KNEW it didn't hinge on or have anything to do with Mexican financing. The question is whether Trumpers realized that. Or even do now. Available evidence would suggest no, since they are busy contorting themselves to jive what he "meant" with what he "said."

TK

Eruption
    Last Online

Actually, I believed that it was just another broken campaign promise. How would you get another country to pay for anything...especially a wall to keep them out?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    So Trump lied and its going to cost the country 10 billion

wonder where we are at with Obamacare?
    Right about here...

TK

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    Actually, I believed that it was just another broken campaign promise. How would you get another country to pay for anything...especially a wall to keep them out?
    That’s easy, dude. That can be worked out in a million ways through business dealings. But to some people unless it says “WALL” they die on the “Mexico didn’t pay for it” hill.

Honestly, it’s stupid. But for some Trump bashers it’s like a consolation prize.