Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 157 Times in 82 Posts

Default Recommended amps to get early EVH tone?

OK guys, here's my next question, because I'm sure a lot of you guys have experience with a lot of different amps. I'm looking for a gig worthy amp (50 watts or so) that can get the early EVH tone. I'd like to stay at or under $1K.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.14.16 @ 08:39 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Peavey 6505 112 ($649) would get you close to CVH on the crunch channel and then you'd have the gain channel for the later stuff...or maybe any decent clean sounding tube amp with a Wampler Pinnacle pedal.

Check out used gear on Guitar Center.com too. You can usually find some smoking deals on there. For $1000 you could get an amp, Pinnacle, Mooer phaser or multi effect pedal and MXR Carbon Copy. Try to get your amp as close to home as you can though in case there are any issues.

Then again, go back and listen to Kevin Dodds' clips of the little Crate he uses for his demos. I forget what model (GX30 maybe?)...solid state.

You have the right pickup in your build that just about any amp with moderate gain will get you there. Don't be afraid to try lower wattages to get those power tubes heated up. That's where the magic of those CVH tones lie. The new 6505 mini head is out now (20 watts) so maybe crank that thing up on the crunch channel.

My .02....hope that helps....

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RichieD View Post
    Peavey 6505 112 ($649) would get you close to CVH on the crunch channel and then you'd have the gain channel for the later stuff...or maybe any decent clean sounding tube amp with a Wampler Pinnacle pedal.

Check out used gear on Guitar Center.com too. You can usually find some smoking deals on there. For $1000 you could get an amp, Pinnacle, Mooer phaser or multi effect pedal and MXR Carbon Copy. Try to get your amp as close to home as you can though in case there are any issues.

Then again, go back and listen to Kevin Dodds' clips of the little Crate he uses for his demos. I forget what model (GX30 maybe?)...solid state.

You have the right pickup in your build that just about any amp with moderate gain will get you there. Don't be afraid to try lower wattages to get those power tubes heated up. That's where the magic of those CVH tones lie. The new 6505 mini head is out now (20 watts) so maybe crank that thing up on the crunch channel.

My .02....hope that helps....
    I have a DSL40c, and although it is a great amp, it just doesn't get that unique tone. I used to have a 5150 2x12. Way too much preamp gain! It sounds like the new 5153 also has that over the top preamp gain.

I'd love to find a 40-50 watter that can sound just like the Brown modes on my Yamaha THR10x.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.14.16 @ 08:39 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

the DSL is a cool amp but you're right...I would try that Pinnacle pedal on it's clean channel first. I think the DSL is colorless on the clean which would be a great foundation for the Pinnacle. That pedal nails CVH imho.

Sorry to harp on Peavey but I also recently tried a new Valveking II amp that sounded really good. Variable wattage and a couple different gain modes and a clean boost. I cut the 50 watt back to 15 watts and cranked it with the gain set at 11 or 12 o'clock...'Unchained' all day long. I think I may pick up the 20 watt version for gigging as I need something with a clean boost because no sound man....

I've been on the hunt too LV...I tried Blackstar but too much gain for me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Another +1 for the Wampler Pinnacle. I can't recommend that thing enough. I've tried all of the 'brown sound' pedals out there and nothing comes close to the Pinnacle! It plays much nicer, though, with a truly clean channel.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:14 PM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    Another +1 for the Wampler Pinnacle. I can't recommend that thing enough. I've tried all of the 'brown sound' pedals out there and nothing comes close to the Pinnacle! It plays much nicer, though, with a truly clean channel.
    Mind you, the Pinnacle was designed to work with a Fender blackface or silverface type clean, so any clean channel that's set up with the tone stack after the first gain stage rather than a cathode-follower fed tone stack. I do, however, use mine to drive my Bugera 1960 Infinium set clean and it sounds good. It's just a bit more crisp sounding than brown sounding through a Marshall type amp.

Now, if I wanted to go all out, I would ditch the pedals and run my 6CA7-loaded 1960 all out with the master volume bypassed into my Jettenuator. I need some different speakers for my 4x12 (Peavey Sheffield 1290s are more like Celestion G12T75s than Greenbacks) to really nail it, but I get close.

I mainly don't do that because my band has a lot of songs that need a really clean, bright tone.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Find an old Marshall JMP master volume amp and get a Boss SD1 or another OD pedal. An older Marshall (or even the newer ones) will get you close. After that, it's really in your hands.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:14 PM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    Find an old Marshall JMP master volume amp and get a Boss SD1 or another OD pedal. An older Marshall (or even the newer ones) will get you close. After that, it's really in your hands.
    Overdrive??? Isn't that the antithesis of EVH tone?

A big part of Ed's early tone is the power tubes distortion. Not the preamp tubes, not any pedal. Getting that sort of volume at home will require an attenuator or an iso-cab.

I run my amp* with JJ 6CA7s full tilt into a Jet City Jettenuator. It's a resistive load, like the big resister that Ed used after his Marshall, but it's adjustable. I can knock the volume WAY down and still get distortion out of the power section.

* = The Bugera I mentioned before, which is basically the circuit out of a later metal panel Marshall 1959 with the Randy Rhoads mods (PPIMV and and the preamp cascaded on the bottom inputs while input 1 is both channels jumpered and input 2 is just the normal channel).

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

EVHGear is working on an amp based on his old Marshall, why not wait for it?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I would probably go for a lower wattage amp and crank it rather than a 50w that would not get cranked very often...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    EVHGear is working on an amp based on his old Marshall, why not wait for it?
    I didn't know that. I'm sure it will cost way more than it's actually worth.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Take a look at some youtube videos of the Ceriatone Yeti. They have a 100W, 50W, and now a 20W version. I like the 20W.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

That 5150 2x12 combo can do the job quite nicely. Too bad you don't have it any more. Rhythym channel is where it's at on those amps. Crank the pre amp gain and slowly adjust the post to get the volume needed. The PV needs to be turned up to sound good. The fizziness goes away some. Gets darker in tone. 6505+ 1x12 combo is a good choice too. I was about to buy a used one for under $400. I wanna say $379. In mint condition. Long story, but I missed out. Then I was all about the DSL-100. Was looking for a good used one. Then I got the 5150 III 2x12 combo as a gift. Blue channel in the room sounds like Fair Warning to me. The power scaling helps get rid of some of the 5150 buzz. I currently seek VH II and 1984 tones. I get close enough. I'd love a Bogner Helios. I'm betting it'll do a killer 1984 tone.

I was just playing my old 5150 with matching 4x12 yesterday. VH II stuff on the lead channel with the gain just above 4. Then I listened to the isolated SGMAD guitar track. Ed actually has way more gain than I was using! There's more fizz and treble to the classic VH sound than most people realize. I say it all the time.

I've never heard a modeling amp that didn't sound fake. Good, but fake. Real tubes is where it's at.

And yes, there are plenty of ways to get a good VH tone. Actually playing is another story.

5150 III combo... https://soundcloud.com/cp5150/on-fire
    Wish a knew how to punch in a solo. You play it perfect three times. Hit record and screw up left and right. Oh well.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:33 AM
    Liked 256 Times in 140 Posts

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    I just don't have that kind of money