Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:40 PM
    Liked 11,795 Times in 6,538 Posts

Premium Member

Default CNN Host Takes a Stand Against Intolerance of Politically Correct Left

MEDIA

CNN Host Takes a Stand Against Intolerance of Politically Correct Left

Jun. 11, 2015 4:14pm

After nearly 25 years in the “news business,” CNN host Don Lemon said it’s obvious that liberals and progressives are the “least tolerant” of differing opinions. Further, political correctness in America has hit “dangerous” levels as many people don’t want to hear any opinion but their own.

In radio commentary for Black America Web, the “CNN Tonight” host implored listeners to be introspective about whether or not they might be “too politically correct.”

“Do you allow room in your space for those who disagree with you? Do you ever call co-workers or the person you hear on the radio or see on TV stupid because you disagree with them or because they don’t hold your same opinion about an issue? If so, then you might be too politically correct for your own good, for society’s good,” he said.

Lemon argued people should be able to “make mistakes in conversations without calling them racist, bigots, stupid, dumb, sell out…on and on.”

“Not everyone is going to or do they have to agree with you. In fact, it’s better when people don’t agree with you,” he added. “That’s how we learn. That’s what conversation is really about.”

He was already catching some heat from some on Thursday after he specifically called out “liberals and progressives” for being the most “easily offended” and least tolerant of other people’s opinions.

“Here’s a tip,” Lemon continued, “if you only agree with people who hold your same political affiliation or who are of your particular race, gender or ethnicity, you are part of the political correctness run amuck problem.”

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

Don Lemon is excellent. Not left on everything, certainly not right on everything. Just a smart, reasonable person. Nice that a few of those people are still on tv.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

So true but I am guilty of the same, I would like to send all liberals to the bottom of the ocean most of the time.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Isn't he being a bit too, you know, "liberal" saying all of this?
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    So true but I am guilty of the same, I would like to send all liberals to the bottom of the ocean most of the time.
    I can relate. I feel that way about a LOT of people (not necessarily "Liberals").

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 6,854 Times in 3,590 Posts

Premium Member

So... will he lose his job now?

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 7,650 Times in 4,018 Posts

I used to identify completely as a liberal.
    Then, as i got older, my liberal friends said i was a moderate.

I guess i don't subscribe to either sides, especially those that lean to the extreme
    end of each.

But i am incredibly tired of this ultra-PC world we live in today.
    I'm tired of endless hurt feelings, of being corrected.
    I'm tired of living in a world that pretends, because it is the politically correct
    thing to do:

Bruce Jenner looks gorgeous as a woman!

They have every right to loot, due to the injustices bestowed!

These extreme radicals have every right to be in the U.S, we are a melting pot!

At certain points, it just becomes bizarro world.

One thing that really pisses me off, is this endless witch hunt of calling people out
    on Facebook or social media, and getting them fired.

A recent example was a woman venting about the officer resigning in Texas.

That is your opinion.
    You're fucking job should have no right to dismiss you because of something you
    said on in your private life.

So damn tired of it being okay that your vocation can literally own you, and all that
    you say outside the confines of your shitty job.

And tired of the thin skinned social media parasites forming alliances to ruin
    the lives of people who's opinions they do not agree with.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

I'm reminded of a line Aaron Sorkin wrote back in the late 90s for Sports Night. The managing editor of the Sportscenter-type show, Isaac Jaffe, played by Robert Guillaume, says, "It's taken me a lot of years, but I've come around to this. If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

After watching The Newsroom, it's hard to believe that line was written by the same guy, but that doesn't change its validity. These days, it's been shown that there is an inverse relationship between education and the amount of people you speak to who disagree with you politically. In other words, the higher your degree, the greater the wall of people around you who only agree with you. And that is a problem.

I'm registered independently, but I am libertarian, small 'l.' My wife and I agree almost 100% on things, though she has changed my mind on a few things since we have been together. And I think that is key. You have to be willing to learn something and change your mind. That means you need to talk to people who challenge you, and often that is going to be people who disagree with you.

Two of my wife's best friends I would describe as one professor once described herself to me: "commie pinko leftists." One of them just takes the position that my wife and I are coocoo for cocoa puffs simply because we believe in much of the libertarian ideology. The other, however, is much more willing to listen. We also find common ground.

I've told her that we may disagree on a lot, but we agree on much more than that--we want the same outcomes. And so we can have conversations about Citizens United or Ayn Rand and learn from each other, but we can also agree that, for example, police need to be held to a higher standard than they have been and the drug war is awful.

But I say all this because this same person, we can make all the politically incorrect jokes we want and we all laugh. One of my oldest friends just moved to the east coast, and he's Black. We used to play Cards Against Humanity and some of the most racist cards would be played. But we all understood who the joke was on. It wasn't on my friend. It was poking fun at an awful concept. It wasn't glorifying it at all.

But if we can't all laugh together, at each other, and at ourselves, then we will never reach the harmonious society we want. If we keep finding ways to drive wedges between each other--and political correctness can often be that wedge--then we're stuck where we are at. I want the world to have the relationships I have with people who think differently. At the end of the day, we want the same result, and there is more to friendship than politics.

But if we're all to grow wiser with our years, that comes with the responsibility to be willing to learn and change your mind on things. I've done it with major concepts. We should all have our minds changed on a regular basis. Maybe you end up back where you started with a stronger argument, but that's okay. Be malleable. Be tolerant. Be courageous. And sometimes just shut up and listen to what others have to say. Maybe it's bullshit. Maybe it's a perspective you never thought of before.

And many of us just have to lighten the fuck up, period.

13. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

“Here’s a tip,” Lemon continued, “if you only agree with people who hold your same political affiliation or who are of your particular race, gender or ethnicity, you are part of the political correctness run amuck problem.”
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 06.12.15 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Baba Booey

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I'm reminded of a line Aaron Sorkin wrote back in the late 90s for Sports Night. The managing editor of the Sportscenter-type show, Isaac Jaffe, played by Robert Guillaume, says, "It's taken me a lot of years, but I've come around to this. If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

After watching The Newsroom, it's hard to believe that line was written by the same guy, but that doesn't change its validity. These days, it's been shown that there is an inverse relationship between education and the amount of people you speak to who disagree with you politically. In other words, the higher your degree, the greater the wall of people around you who only agree with you. And that is a problem.

I'm registered independently, but I am libertarian, small 'l.' My wife and I agree almost 100% on things, though she has changed my mind on a few things since we have been together. And I think that is key. You have to be willing to learn something and change your mind. That means you need to talk to people who challenge you, and often that is going to be people who disagree with you.

Two of my wife's best friends I would describe as one professor once described herself to me: "commie pinko leftists." One of them just takes the position that my wife and I are coocoo for cocoa puffs simply because we believe in much of the libertarian ideology. The other, however, is much more willing to listen. We also find common ground.

I've told her that we may disagree on a lot, but we agree on much more than that--we want the same outcomes. And so we can have conversations about Citizens United or Ayn Rand and learn from each other, but we can also agree that, for example, police need to be held to a higher standard than they have been and the drug war is awful.

But I say all this because this same person, we can make all the politically incorrect jokes we want and we all laugh. One of my oldest friends just moved to the east coast, and he's Black. We used to play Cards Against Humanity and some of the most racist cards would be played. But we all understood who the joke was on. It wasn't on my friend. It was poking fun at an awful concept. It wasn't glorifying it at all.

But if we can't all laugh together, at each other, and at ourselves, then we will never reach the harmonious society we want. If we keep finding ways to drive wedges between each other--and political correctness can often be that wedge--then we're stuck where we are at. I want the world to have the relationships I have with people who think differently. At the end of the day, we want the same result, and there is more to friendship than politics.

But if we're all to grow wiser with our years, that comes with the responsibility to be willing to learn and change your mind on things. I've done it with major concepts. We should all have our minds changed on a regular basis. Maybe you end up back where you started with a stronger argument, but that's okay. Be malleable. Be tolerant. Be courageous. And sometimes just shut up and listen to what others have to say. Maybe it's bullshit. Maybe it's a perspective you never thought of before.

And many of us just have to lighten the fuck up, period.
    Concur with all of this...It's always interesting to see who tells me to "STFU" because I'm not American, so can't possibly 'know / understand' anything (whilst being fully aware that that same person wouldn't dream of uttering such a thing if I happened to agree with them)!

Thatcher, 1980

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 1,489 Times in 1,018 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Don Lemon is excellent. Not left on everything, certainly not right on everything. Just a smart, reasonable person. Nice that a few of those people are still on tv.
    eh....

http://www.inquisitr.com/1179634/cnn...to-black-hole/
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Massive amounts of entertaining scientific data exist about this topic, actually. The big take-away: we all have dirty hands.

The nitty gritty is, we're carrying around brains that despise cognitive dissonance. When we're presented with evidence contrary to a firmly held belief, we automatically employ a dozen defense mechanisms to shield our brain from the itchy reality of being wrong.

One of these mechanisms is called the "backfire effect." This is when someone is presented with airtight facts proving him wrong, but instead of changing his mind, he digs in deeper with his belief. He doubles down on stupid. I see it all the time. Birthers can be shown Obama's longform birth certificate, hear stories from nurses who helped deliver him, read the newspaper announcements, and STILL insist that, somehow, all of that is wrong and the president was born in Kenya. (Watch - it might even happen here!)

The backfire effect is why no one ever wins an online argument. Both sides dig in, others pile on, someone plays the Nazi card, and it all gets derailed until the next go-'round. We're all predictable and dumb. We like it that way.

As for the PC thing, my opinion is some people cry about political correctness because they'd rather go back to being an asshole to others without being called on it. In some instances, I think it goes to far.

Fer instance, you can say Caitlyn Jenner is hideously ugly. It ain't nice, but it's an opinion that ought to be debated rather than shouted down; however, if you instead say that goddamn tranny is what's wrong with the country (as I've read many times), you ought to be called out on that because you're being an asshole. And to me, political correctness serves a purpose if we tell assholes to stop being assholes to people. Because: Jesus, or whatnot.