Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 729 Times in 346 Posts

Default Need advice on a neck

Hi Guys,

As you may or may not be aware from my previous posts, I have a Partscaster that I've been tweaking for the last year or so. For those who are not aware, here is the backstory:

The guitar started life as a 1993 MIM Squier Strat. These were American spec'd bodies, full thickness Alder and were not a swimming pool route. It was a great base to start the project. I replaced the neck with a maple fretboard Mighty Mite neck, ordered a single humbucker single volume pickguard from Warmouth, installed a Frankenstein Humbucker, a CTS pot, and a Super-Vee Bladerunner Tremolo.

It really is a great guitar now as it sits, with no issues whatsoever. It could easily be my main gigging guitar for the higher gain stuff, but I always find myself picking up my Wolfgang and mainly playing that.

I've determined that my affinity for the Wolfgang revolves mainly around the feel of the neck. I've just been playing EVH guitars for so long now that the asymmetrical neck carve is the only thing that feels right.

So, this leads to my question. What I'm looking to do is replace the neck on my Partscaster with a Strat headstock neck that has an asymmetrical neck carve and dimensions to that of a EBMM/EVH/Axis preferably. It doesn't need to have fancy figuring, skunk stripes or anything else super special. Just a quartersawn maple neck with a maple fretboard, Strat headstock, and the feel of the EBMM neck that fits on a Fender Strat body, with a regular nut.

I've seen USA Custom Guitars makes a neck with an asymmetrical profile, but I don't know much about them. Does anyone know where I can find this Unicorn that I have dancing in my head?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

You can get all of those features (and more) here:
    https://musikraft.com/product-list.php?pg1-cid48.html
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

I have an EBMM Axis. My brother has a Warmoth guitar he had built in the early '90s. Birdseye maple Warmoth neck. The Warmoth neck fells really close the the Axis neck. So I decided to do what your saying. Build a Strat style guitar that plays, feels, and sounds like my Axis. So I took the neck off my brothers guitar to find out what neck it is. There's nothing but the turtle stamped on the heel. No model or serial number. No words. Name. Nothing. So I took a chance and bought a Standard Thin Warmoth neck. It's not the same. Even though it's the EBMM dimensions. I think the difference is my brother's guitar was played and gigged for many, many years. So the neck is worn. My Warmoth neck was new. Axis and EBMM EVH are digital copies of Ed's Kramer 5150 neck and has the same worn in feel. I'm hoping some day my neck will feel like the Axis neck. Still waiting.

If I did it over I'd buy the same neck and have the fretboard edges rolled. That's what they do to the Peavey. Makes it feel broken in.

The EBMM neck I don't think is asymmetrical. I think that started with Peavey.

I've reshaped my Kramer 5150 replica a bit myself. Sandpapered the back to try to get a more asymmetrical feel and also sanded a few spots on the fretboard to replicate a rolled fingerboard. From looking at my EVH USA Wolfgang Stealth it looks like that's what they are doing now. Sanding each spot by hand. I see sandpaper or file marks on it. Maybe try that and save some money? If it doesn't work no big deal. Your planning on buying a new neck anyway.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 729 Times in 346 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    You can get all of those features (and more) here:
    https://musikraft.com/product-list.php?pg1-cid48.html
    Yeah, I looked at those. It's about $380 for the options I'm looking at, $280 if I go with Rock Maple instead of Quartersawn Maple. USA Custom Guitars was about $280. Musikraft looks to be a little better quality, and the headstock shape is right. I was hoping there was possibly a builder that may be more affordable with good quality. At the end of the day, I will probably end up spending the money on the Musikraft neck. I want it to be right.
    Last edited by nobozos; 06.11.15 at 02:47 PM.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.